Hardware What temperature should a Switch run at? Mine runs at 50°C on most games.

Johnmariozelda99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently noticed that my Switch was really warm after playing it in docked mode so I started to keep an eye on it. When playing playing (Immortals Fenyx Rising and Super Mario 3D World), the temperature of the console ranges from 50° to 55°C, which seems warm. If it matters, I'm running CFW, but I'm not overclocking or anything. Should I replace the thermal paste in it? I read online and the articles were conflicting. Some said that it should stay around 50°, while others said it should stay below 40° on moat games. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thank you

de9ed

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I was downloading off tinfoil for hours, I measured around 47 to 50 degree on the apu. I think anything less than 60 is normal.

SacaSoh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Tegra X1 operating temp is -25C to 80C. Switch APU is a heavily underclocked tegra X1 (which originally runs at 2.2ghz max) due to battery saving needs (it's a hybrid handheld after all), the temps you see are 100% safe and won't cause any issue.

I bet you can safely run it continuously at 80C for 5 years+ and the point of failure will be something else than the APU.

Reactions: de9ed

Johnmariozelda99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I guess I was just being paranoid. The fan is still super quiet and all that so I guess it just runs a little warm. Thanks to all of you that answered

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: Psi buy me lunch