what techno really is

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by rest0re, Aug 16, 2007.

Aug 16, 2007

what techno really is by rest0re at 6:17 AM (912 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. rest0re
    OP

Member rest0re GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Finland
    hello!

i come sometimes read other forums too, most people dont really know what kind of music techno is. most people think that techno is all "electronic" music, but ITS NOT. techno music as the style was first made in detroit in 80's. music is very "repeating", often no "vocals" and its very rhytmic. most people who hasn't listened much electronic music thinks that all electronic music is techno music, but after you listen some techno youll start to recognize what is techno and what is not. techno .. as music it is imo "most hard" genre of electronic music as most hard to get into. so for example what is not techno and what is, i tell: daft punk is not techno, its house music. techno music is for example: jeff mills, carl craig, underground resistance (which is collective), kenny larkin, drexciya (some songs). also there is lots of techno released from labels called tresor and kompakt, they are european labels. there is also techno from europe, from japan ... almost everywhere. anyway ill put here some youtube links of some cool songs. remember this is just to educate you, free to ask questions

cybotron - clear. this is proto-techno. very nice

jeff mills - the bells. THIS IS TECHNO. this is ... repeating, lovely, sound of future with no hope

lfo - freak. i think this is good for this board [​IMG] japanese schoolgirls dancing. wait for minute to song begin

drexciya .. music by mysterious sea aliens. i heard that it was recorded in underwater studio, thats why music sounds so bubbly;)

edit: fixed links

2. tipsy

Member tipsy GBAtemp Regular

China
    I say, dance, techno, trance, they all go into the same category.
    End of discussion.
    [​IMG]

3. rest0re
    OP

Finland
    heh, i tried to explain now what is and what it is not [​IMG]

4. funwithplaydough

Newcomer funwithplaydough Advanced Member

United States
    techno has got to be the biggest genre of music. Including Detroit's Minimilistic Sounds, Chicago's Gospel Sounding House, The Whole Ibiza Sound, Then the mainstream stuff like Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, DJ Shadow, etc.

Your forgetting some other originators from Detroit, like Dan Bell, Juan Atkins, Ritchie Hawtin. Then we still have other big names like Sven Vath, Marco Corola, Adam Beyer, etc. As for LFO, I prefer Gez Varley doing his solo stuff like Quo Vardis.

5. rest0re
    OP

Finland
    in purpose i didn't mention the godfather of techno, mr model 500 juan atkins [​IMG] but you see, i put that cybotron link, good enough?-D anyway you are right, i dont still regard prodigy as techno, its more "rave", chemical brothers is big beat, i think dj shadow is idm (which is "intelligent" techno music)... anyway.

6. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
  7. JacobReaper

Member JacobReaper I Love You....

United States
    HAHAHAHA, i played them all at the same time, heh..

8. CannonBallZ

Member CannonBallZ GBAtemp Regular

United States

haha quite right...goes well together...

9. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    All I'm saying is that when Moby is a pioneer of your genre, then that's pretty sad.