Hacking What System Menu Version do you use/perfer?

System Menu Versions List:

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

crwys

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We all have our reasons for what System Menu version we are on and why we like it. So what System Menu Version do you use? Why do you like it? Please vote and share your opinions. So people can have an idea on what system menu version they should use if they are not sure. (I know there was a topic on this already, but it is dead, and I decided to create a new one.)

I use System Menu 3.2 because it is simple, and I have don't see anything in any of the other versions on why to update besides risking a brick and fixing homebrew that new versions block out.

smash_brew

I may or may not have fallen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm still on 3.2 as well. nintendo hasn't come up with any new features that would benefit me, and i don't feel like making a new theme. If it aint broke don't fix it.

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I assume you left out 3.4 on the basis that anyone on that firmware should be summarily shot! Actually that could also apply to 3.3v2 and maybe even 4.0
rofl2.gif

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I used to like 4.1, but now I'm on 4.2, but it's completely hacked with preloader hacks, and darkwii theme.
But I didn't update the official way, I just used wads, so I still have boot2v3 with bootmii, and I'm not changing that!

I like to have 4.2 installed and hacked as kind-of a "reminder" to ninty that they have failed at stopping any of us hackers or homebrewers or pirates.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3.2u. i don't have a sdhc card and i only have like 4 channels. so ive no need for the SD menu. if it wasn't for the wii settings, i wouldn't even need the system menu.

but i think you left the coolest one of the list of choices
picture48d.jpg

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
4.0 here. I only updated (from 3.4) because a program (preloader, IIRC) requested it.

I suppose 4.1 is better 'cause of "some behind the scenes updates that will improve system performance" (source), but as mentioned: why fix something that isn't broken?

da_letter_a said:
I like to have 4.2 installed and hacked as kind-of a "reminder" to ninty that they have failed at stopping any of us hackers or homebrewers or pirates.
I understand your reasoning, but IMO there are other ways to accomplish the same thing. I can just as well say that I continue to refuse to update as a reminder to nintendo that their 4.2 update "slightly" missed their purpose.

In fact, the conversation at my house went a bit like this:
Wii: Hi! There's a new update for my firmware.
smile.gif
Click here to upd...
Wever: whoah, slow down, there! You sound like you assume that I want to update. Now why is that?
Wii: What? Oh...well, I'm just enthousiastic, that's all. Nintendo worked hard to deliver the best gaming experience for you, so I figured you'd be thrilled to hear...
Wever: *gives a long, hard "nice try" stare*
Wii: you...don't want to update?
Wever: hmm..."thrilled", you say? But...I am already thrilled by your performance. Just how is this update going to increase my thrill-level?
Wii: *a bit unsure* well...it's mostly behind-the-scenes enhancements. And I'll free up extra blocks by deleting some unauthorized files. Nothing to worry about...only some junk that would have voided your warranty. So...you want to update?
biggrin.gif

Wever: *devil's advocate voice* what kind of behind-the-scene enhancements? As far as I understood from other sites, it's just a few minor IOS updates. Nothing noticeably, let alone be worthy of being called an "enhancement".
Wii: yeah, well...erm...it's not that it isn't true, but...it still updates some of my inner workings. I'm sure you'll like it.
Wever: that's another assumption. And a clever way to avoid mentioning that you're turning into Big Brother.
Wii: who? Me? Noooo!
Wever: you're mine, aren't you? I mean...I still have the coupon. So why do you want to remove unauthorized files? It was me who put them there in the first place!
Wii: now wait...I agree that I'm yours. But you've got an agreement with nintendo that you aren't allowed to run mods 'n stuff like that on me. It'll...
Wever: *interrupts* yeah, yeah, I know. It'll void my warranty...
Wii: see? So if you want to keep to the warranty, you should...
Wever: ...which just HAPPENS to have expired over a year ago.
evil.gif

Wii: ...
Wii: oh.
frown.gif

Wever: that's right. You're no longer in nintendo's factory anymore. You're MINE!!! Muhahahaha!!!
evil.gif

Wii: so...I take it you don't want to update?
Wever: take a guess!
cool.gif

Wii: ...
Wii: *clicks "no" to update*
Wever: damn right. Let that be a lesson, ninty. I'll update when and if I feel like it!
cool.gif

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Its a very thinly disguised dig at the OP carried over from a previous thread.
What he perhaps fails to realise is that a lot of established Wii coders et al are still on 3.2 and I certainly would not categorise them as morons.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
ocdetective said:
Its a very thinly disguised dig at the OP carried over from a previous thread.
What he perhaps fails to realise is that a lot of established Wii coders et al are still on 3.2 and I certainly would not categorise them as morons.

I don't fail to realise about the coders being on 3.2, I just felt like having a pop. I disagreed with a post in a previous thread, thats true. On an honest note, I personally think its all a matter of choice whether it be for functional or aesthetic reasons. I was on 3.2 for a long time and it served me well, but I felt that menu 4.2 offers me more in the way of functionality. I also found that there was a bigger choice of .csm's out there allowing me to change the way the menu looks.

bert02

Trophies
XP
Country
i went from 3.1 to 3.2 cos i needed to for priiloader
dont have sdhc, barely need the system menu now cfg does everything and priiloader boots to cfg so y update to a newer firmware that is trying to block everything i dont even boot of a disc as i rip it to the hard drive so have no need to go any further

did i read that u can change ur wii theme...!!! (still new to all this) where do i look for that

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
If you're still new to all this then do some googling for wii csm's (custom system menu) and MyMenuify.
Personally I have found that there are more csm's for system menu 4.x which is one reason why I have shifted over.

With apps such as NUSD and WAD Manager (or Zektors automated safe updater) you can safely update your Wii by installing only necessary IOS's, Shop Channel and System Menu. Your HBC, cIOS and Boot2 will stay intact. I find 4.2 slicker looking and slightly faster than 3.2 with the added bonus of an SD Menu allowing you to have access to 100+ Wiiware/VC titles and SDHC support up to 32gb

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This ensures that you have the latest of all IOS files for maximum compatibility with the newest games. SDHC support (from the system menu, not only homebrew) and the SD menu are bonuses as well if you use them.

If you're playing games like Guitar Hero and New Super Mario Bros... you've had to update your IOS files anyway because the needed ones simply don't exist on a stock 3.2 system.

I don't see a valid reason not to update. the infinitessimal chance of a brick is not a valid reason in my eyes. You're obviously using DoP-IOS or NUS to update your IOS files anyway and it's no harder to do the same to your system menu without the big, bad, scary, boot2v4

I take back my moron comment, but the reasoning most people give for staying on the older firmware is flawed.

And suggesting that people downdrade to 3.2, knowing that new people come here all the time (and you can bet that from now on almost all have LU64+ Wiis) is not forgivable. Those suggestions will be the cause of more bricks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.