What strategy should I use for Pokemon?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Exbaddude, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Exbaddude
    OP

Exbaddude The Prince.

Jul 3, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    I'm going to start my Pokemon HeartGold soon and I was wondering how I should train my Pokemon.
    Should I just use one pokemon the whole game? Get a team of six and train them equally? What should I do? D:

2. epic_cookie

epic_cookie Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2010
    well it matters, none of the starters can really sweep all the gyms or anything
    but i guess level 100 means a lot if you get there somehow
    though it is more fun to play as you would want to play with all 6 pokemon

3. mrfatso

mrfatso That guy!!

Apr 17, 2008
    Senegal
    @Your Home,behind the sofa
    back when i first started playing pokemon, i followed pretty closed to the anime, if ash had a butterfree, i will get one as well.

But now that i had more experience, i tried to train everyone as equally as possible. It takes more time but hey, at least u are not relying on just 1 pokemon to save your ass with the rest being fodders.

A simple rule of mine would be to have a team of 4 and 2 hm slave

4. seedvt

seedvt GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2008
    Canada
    Vancouver, BC
    By the end of the 2nd gym, you can probably get a Heracross.

Once you get a Choice Scarf,

/thread

5. DarkStriker

DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Mar 15, 2009
    Norway
    NIKU!
    mrfatso tips works the best if ur only interested in finishing it. the team of 4 is up. As for the HM slaves i recommed furret & skarmory. Furret is evovled from senteret so u should catch him early and get him to lvl 15. I believe you get fly before skarmory so i recommed u use a flying pokemon just to replace him until u get skarmory

6. Pwnage

Pwnage GBAtemp Regular

Jan 15, 2010
    United States
    id agree with you about furret but who would use skarmory as a HM slave hes actually very good if you know how to use him.

7. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    I have always trained 6 different Pokemon in my Pokemon games history, never have done it otherwise.
    I recommend you have a good balance of different types, that's always handy.
    And best of all, trade your Pokemon so they grow way faster.

8. DarkStriker

DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Mar 15, 2009
    Norway
    NIKU!
    I never said he couldnt use 2 skarmorys ^^ the skarmoy can learn 3 HMs i believe? and still should be used unless he finds another pokemon that covers fly and the other HMs

9. Slyakin

Slyakin See ya suckers

Oct 15, 2008
    United States
    Soviet Slyakin
    Slowbros can also learn many HM's, so you can use him well.

Skarmorys (Skarmories?) are practically deadly if you train them right. Some trainers even go to the point of making matches with no Blisseys, Ubers, or Skarmorys.

I don't use it, though. [​IMG]

10. _Chaz_

_Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Do a mono-type challenge!

I'm doing a Bug run through and it's really fun. Whitney was no match for my Heracross.

It's best to level the best challenger for the gym you're up against untill the Elite Four, than get them all up t a decent level.

11. Exbaddude
    OP

Exbaddude The Prince.

Jul 3, 2008
    Canada
    Canada
    Thanks for all the tips! Gonna try MrFatso's tip.

12. JBW

JBW GBAtemp Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Bristol
    In the older games you could get away with sweeping the Gyms with a single starter. I beat the Elite four in ruby with my sceptile, but i had to use loads of revives. Now though you're better off using different pokes in your team and vary the types as much as possible.

13. Raika

Raika uguu

Sep 15, 2008
    uguu
    Train all 6 equally. It may be slow, but it pays off. In an unbalanced team, if the main strongest pokemon is taken out, the rest will get their asses kicked.