What sort of homebrew is best for playing .avi files?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Getting_Better, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Getting_Better
    OP

Newcomer Getting_Better Advanced Member

Canada
    I want to watch some videos on my DS.

2. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    DS2 movie veiwer. [​IMG]

3. Getting_Better
    OP

Canada
    Do you have a link to this? [​IMG]

4. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
  5. Getting_Better
    OP

Canada
    I feel silly now.

Is there any other homebrew? I have an acekard 2i.

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There are only two homebrew video players capable of AVI that I know of. They are tunavids and an old video player from abaraxas (I am not sure if it later became tunavids under a different dev- lines were blurred shall we say and tunavids is far superior). These require specially encoded xvid videos and quality is less than the far more common moonshell and DGP videos- http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Moonshell
    There are other options with DSM being the only one I would call a competitor- it eschewed serious compression in favour of massive file sizes and gained something of a quality boost as a result. That nobody really uses it when moonshell exists pretty much says it all though.

A couple of the enhanced flash carts- the iplayer, the iSMM (iSmart MM) and supercard DSTWO have avi players as part of their onboard enhanced players (they have extra chips in the cards themselves to help with decoding). These are quite capable of playing scene style AVI (XVID/DIVX) videos among other formats and do so very well (they are all pretty much the same thing/based on the same code)- testing the iSMM player it dealt with things I have seen lesser "proper" video players choke on.