what sort of device would i need to play on a computer monitor/crt tv

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by cefca, Nov 10, 2013.

1. cefca
    OP

cefca Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2006
    United States
    so far i've been 0/2 on things i bought that i *thought* i needed to play on my computer screen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190535346182
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/180681527665

adapter ended up completely useless since it was just for pc video capture and the other one just transferred your pc video to the tv not to mention i couldn't even get the colors right and it was super blurry and fuzzy.

i'm looking for a device that accepts rca and can output to either vga/hdmi

can anyone help me out before i buy a 3rd device that ends up being useless to me? :wacko:

2. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Global Moderator

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell
    What exactly are you trying to do? like what systems?

3. Sop

Sop groovy dude lmao

Banned
    Nov 14, 2010
    qld
    he wants to use his pc's vga output on his tv which has a composite input

4. TwinRetro

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell

It sounded like that, but I got the impression that he wants it the other way around, hence the ending statement

"i'm looking for a device that accepts rca and can output to either vga/hdmi"

I ran into the same problem, myself, and there does exist a RCA to VGA adapter, but it's a lot harder to find, and is in a blue box instead of silver. Most likely made by the same company.

EDIT: I think this is what you're looking for. It looks identical to the one I have.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Laptop-D...=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ecb6f97f0
    IR teh dumb. I linked to the wrong listing. Link fixed.

5. cefca
    OP

cefca Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2006
    United States
    i forgot to mention that i want to use my ps2 (rca) to play on my computer lcd (vga/hdmi). i mistakenly mentioned old tv forgetting that it already has rca ports (derp). so yeah it will be for my computer monitor. are you sure thats the one? cause it looks identical to the one i had bought but black instead of silver.

6. TwinRetro

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell

I have both, and they really are identical other than the color of the outer shell. I use it to play my N64 and Xbox on my old LCD monitor. It works well for what it is, and what you pay for it, but it's not perfect, and you'll have to figure something else out for the audio, because it only outputs video.

Your best bet, if you really want something accurate, is to get a smallish CRT (tube-style) TV with RCA inputs, maybe grab yourself an input switcher in case your TV only has one RCA input, and hook it up directly.

If you want something that does the job, and does the job well as far as RCA to VGA conversion in real-time, you're starting to get into production quality equipment, which I doubt would be anywhere what you want to pay to play PS2 games on your monitor.

7. cefca
    OP

cefca Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2006
    United States
    so theres video lag when you use a converter? i just figured i'd put my 24 inch hd lcd and slim ps2 thats both been collecting dust to use but not if theres going to be second delays in what i'm pressing on the controller to what i'm seeing on the screen :unsure:

8. TwinRetro

Global Moderator
    Aug 29, 2008
    Djibouti
    Hiatus Hell

There's very little delay from what I can tell, if any.

9. OneUp

OneUp GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2008
    United States
    I ran into this video on youtube when i was looking for a component to vga converter. I think this is what you want to accomplish. The description on the video has more info.

10. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States