Gaming What SNES Game Do You Wish Had a GBA Port?

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier today I was vainly trying to get Starwing running in a playable fashion on my DS and it got me thinking about SNES games that weren't ported in some form to the GBA.

In my little fantasy I was loving the idea of Starwing 1 and 2 being ported to the GBA with a better framerate and tweaked graphics... God, I wish those games had been ported.

So, anyway, what SNES games do you wish had been ported to the venerable GBA? :)

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Secret of Mana. Sword of Mana just wasn't the same.
Amen to that!! Squaresoft never came close with any 'Mana' game since... completely magical game - one of my all time favourites! (That said, would the GBA's comparatively crummy little soundchip have done a good enough job with the fantastic music...)
I'm actually old enough to remember Square saying the game was originally meant for the ill-fated SNES-CD addon, and was edited down to fit on a cartridge... clearly a couple of scenes in the ending didn't make the actual game, and parts do feel a bit 'rushed'... maybe, just maybe, there's a 'full' version knocking about in the Square vaults (....the same was also said of Chrono Trigger - alas any ports since have been generally untouched so maybe it's not true..)

Kudos to Super Metroid also! And to add my own tuppence worth (gawd there's loads to choose actually!) - Terranigma! Released a bit late in the day, post-PlayStation if I remember correctly, and didn't even get a US release? Criminally overlooked game - not sure I'd play all the way through again, but it deserves a second chance no doubt!

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, Terranigma is a good call. You know, I've owned that game twice and I still haven't really played it! :rolleyes:

Super Metroid would also have been interesting. I think I'm about the only person on the planet who actually prefers the GBA sound to the SNES (I hate the SNES filtering...) but I do think it would've been interesting how the music would've translated. :)

TBH, I'm a bit surprised that some of the GBA hackers of yore didn't actually make dedicated speed-hacky ports of some of these games...

Alaude

Trophies
XP
Country
India
hmm.........porting Saturday Night Slam Masters would have been great not only for GBA but for other systems too.

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
^
The problem with 3DS ports would be that they'd probably make them downloads only... That's only good for as long as Ninty support the system - Just look at all the VC games disappearing of late...

Off topic: Just to continue my train of thought; I don't think I'll be buying any more downloadable games. It's just too volatile and I like to decide when I no longer want to 'own' a game...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I am doing port related wishing I am still somewhat bitter about Phantasy Star 4 not being included in the collection (only the first three)

Anyhow I would not have minded SNES rampart port but that is a different discussion.

Frankly though between what was ported, what also appeared on the megadrive, PCE/TG16 and thus could be played quite well on the DS and/or the homebrew for both I am pretty much sorted. I was never big on SNES RPGs (primarily as I never had a SNES and got into megadrive emulation more) although if I get around to playing some I might have to revise my opinion.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Super Mario RPG, even though I've beaten the original a couple times

F-Zero (GBA got new versions, not a port)

And even though it's not on anybody's "must have" list, I really enjoy the gameplay of "Super Buster Brothers" ... would like to have seen even an updated remake for GBA of that game.

But honestly, the GBA catalog leaves little to be desired.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I wish the English speaking world got the Earthbound/Mother 2 GBA port. I can't stand the quick and dirty translation Tomato did. Too bad it's a gargantuan task to complete it.

I don't find that the GBA DKCs were too bad. They added some fun stuff to those.

One port I think they should have redone is the Earthworm Jim games. Those are AWFUL.
Chrono Trigger
it already has a DS port and previously before that a ps1 port.
I love that port, but some of the extra stuff they added was lame.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably Mario RPG was my most wanted port for a long time. They'd have to map the interact button to the shoulder buttons, but other than that it would have been fine.

I also wish the DKC trilogy had been ported properly. As some of my favorite games ever, they fall well below the mark (and are in a state where trying to restore the brightness or sound quality via hacking is pointless).

At the time i had also wished for a Chrono Trigger port. Had they done anything to the visuals or sound quality, it would have been hacked back to normal by now like FF5 and FF6 have lol.

Super Metroid would have been a great one. And if we're talking about porting Secret of Mana, it would have been a great time for Seiken Densetsu 3 to finally get a US release. Any of the games in the Illusion of Gaia series would have been welcome.

Surprised no one mentioned Super Castlevania IV here (not that i saw anyways). I love that one, might have been interested in a GBA version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.