What slot-2 cart to use with R4i Gold?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by SoupOrJuice, Apr 24, 2013.

Apr 24, 2013
  1. SoupOrJuice
    OP

Newcomer SoupOrJuice Newbie

Canada
    So I bought an R4i Gold assuming it would play GBA games...and I was wrong. Buyer's remorse ftw.

Anyway, so now I found that you need another flashcart for slot-2 in order to run it. Do you also need another microSD card (in total, 2) to run GBA games? Or can you launch a slot-2 flashcart right from the main screen? And, which slot-2 cart should I get? Only one I'm really finding is the M3 cart and the EZ-Flash 3-in-1 cart.

Also, to play the GBA games, is it as easy as it is with the R4i (just extract some firmware, then copy the ROM onto the SD card)? I've heard the term "flashing the ROM" before, not sure what this means or if this process is difficult (or necessary) in order to play GBA games on these carts.

I've searched a little, and looked on the first 2 pages, but haven't found any posts on this topic. Sorry if there's a popular/recent post I missed, I'm kinda tired right now, working on 3 hours sleep.

Any help greatly appreciated!

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Slot-1+Slot-2 is the way most people go nowadays, with the 3-in-1 as the Slot-2 (partially due to most Slot-2 carts being out of production). Slot-2 carts have their own internal space that's used to store the actual game that's currently being run. Generally you "launch" a GBA game from Slot-1 (natively or with GBAexploader), it'll send it to Slot-2, then boot it on the Slot-2. This means that you will actually need to have a Slot-1 cart like the R4i Gold for the process.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-run-gba-games-on-your-ds.292828/

The thread mentions playing GBA games from Slot-1. This is emulation, and imperfect. Slot-2 has almost perfect compatibility and perfect speed, on the other hand.

3. SoupOrJuice
    OP

Newcomer SoupOrJuice Newbie

Canada
    Awesome, thanks for the help. I almost bought an extra MicroSD card. I have one already, + the R4i Gold, so all I need is the 3-in-1 slot-2. Anyone know a reliable place that sells them from inside Canada? Otherwise I'll just use realhotstuff.com again.

4. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    Get a either supercard dsTWO, a real slot-2 flashcart(Like ezflash IV), A psp or a xperia play.
    A 3-in-1 is not in 2013 choices.

5. babyface
    This message by babyface has been removed from public view by Costello, Jun 4, 2013.
    Apr 24, 2013