Gaming what size sd card should I get for my 3DS 128gb ?

ratmandom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hello I was wondering if I could get a sd card bigger than 128gb or even if that was to big for the sd card speeds on the 3ds....

I have the old 3ds,
and a r4i gold plus with the switch from nrt and wood because I am cool.

www.r4ids.cn

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello I was wondering if I could get a sd card bigger than 128gb or even if that was to big for the sd card speeds on the 3ds....

I have the old 3ds,
and a r4i gold plus with the switch from nrt and wood because I am cool.

www.r4ids.cn
you can use any size. I have a 200gb on mine. The only thing that will affect the speeds is how much the sd is filled. if you got 180gb worth of stuff then you'll notice a bit of load times.

Reactions: ratmandom

ratmandom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you can use any size. I have a 200gb on mine. The only thing that will affect the speeds is how much the sd is filled. if you got 180gb worth of stuff then you'll notice a bit of load times.

so could I use 3 cards(200gb), with one device would the speed be faster, how does using more than one card work?

Escorpion

Balamb Seed
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
so could I use 3 cards(200gb), with one device would the speed be faster, how does using more than one card work?
Listen uhhmmm... i don´t understand why u should wish to use 3 Sd Cards of 200Gb... with just one Sd of 200Gb you will be reaally fine. Besides that, the "speed spec" depends on the Sd Class, por example: Sd Class 4-6-8-10. (10) Is the faster one for every size of Sd.

ratmandom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Listen uhhmmm... i don´t understand why u should wish to use 3 Sd Cards of 200Gb... with just one Sd of 200Gb you will be reaally fine. Besides that, the "speed spec" depends on the Sd Class, por example: Sd Class 4-6-8-10. (10) Is the faster one for every size of Sd.
I want to play about with psx retroarch and all the 3ds titles, thank for the help but is it ok to use more than one sd card ?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
200gb should be enough you get around 183 GB, if you want more space you can get a 256GB, you get roughly 238GB space. But remember the 300 titles limit

Escorpion

Balamb Seed
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I want to play about with psx retroarch and all the 3ds titles, thank for the help but is it ok to use more than one sd card ?
Hayato is right, and indeed it´s more recommended to just use 1 SD card on you´re 3ds... i mean is more convenient...

Last edited by Escorpion,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nah brah, he's on break from GBAtemp. Real life got in the way from helping you like his job, kids, or taking a dump.

You can have as many SD cards as you want. 3DS don't care what GB sized SD you stick in or how many. You might though if constantly swapping cards isn't your style.

You're in luck as you live in the UK, and there's this beastly card.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-microSDXC-Memory-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B0798DW5NW

Reactions: lone_wolf323

Rubedo

Aikawa is OLEV
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I was thinking about upgrading to a 64GB from a 32GB, but... what do you mean exactly by load times? Will the load times in games take longer too? Or just booting the system up?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about upgrading to a 64GB from a 32GB, but... what do you mean exactly by load times? Will the load times in games take longer too? Or just booting the system up?

Higher class card has higher transfer speed, but more contents on the SD card take longer to load up on starting up the 3ds, like few seconds extra.

chirogan

The Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I have 128 GB and almost full with all the AAA Titles you could think of. Around 115 titles. Im on my 5th title and i just like hoarding games so in choosing what to play, i could play it right away.
With all that, i notice a bit of loading time in startup and a few hiccups on the app selection. But i find everything more than enough for my needs.

ratmandom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nah brah, he's on break from GBAtemp. Real life got in the way from helping you like his job, kids, or taking a dump.

You can have as many SD cards as you want. 3DS don't care what GB sized SD you stick in or how many. You might though if constantly swapping cards isn't your style.

You're in luck as you live in the UK, and there's this beastly card.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-microSDXC-Memory-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B0798DW5NW

I have seen that a good while a go now

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One other thing to note is since you have an original 3ds using the psx retroarch core will result in games being unplayable (the n3ds can barely play any games itself). I currently have a 128gb card and it's filled to the max. All I experience problems with is a some icons take a bit to load in the home menu (3-4 seconds max).
Also you'll have to reformat any sd 128gb or larger to fat32. You may need to use a program for this since you usually can't format using the standard windows format. Ease US Partition tool (something like that) has a free version that can help you do that if need be as well. Also switching between sd cards is a bad idea. If I were you I'd use godmode9 (.3dsx) to "inject" the latest FBI (cia installer/homebrew downloader) into your health and safety app. This way if you really want multiple sd cards if something gets wiped off of any of them you'll be able to install your standard custom firmware apps again without a problem

Last edited by Mythical,

ratmandom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is so much going for the 3ds I have only modded mine this weekend,

I want another new 3ds xl or the new 2ds xl or both, and a good lan box one of them asus boxes they look good.

Rubedo

Aikawa is OLEV
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One other thing to note is since you have an original 3ds using the psx retroarch core will result in games being unplayable (the n3ds can barely play any games itself). I currently have a 128gb card and it's filled to the max. All I experience problems with is a some icons take a bit to load in the home menu (3-4 seconds max).
Also you'll have to reformat any sd 128gb or larger to fat32. You may need to use a program for this since you usually can't format using the standard windows format. Ease US Partition tool (something like that) has a free version that can help you do that if need be as well. Also switching between sd cards is a bad idea. If I were you I'd use godmode9 (.3dsx) to "inject" the latest FBI (cia installer/homebrew downloader) into your health and safety app. This way if you really want multiple sd cards if something gets wiped off of any of them you'll be able to install your standard custom firmware apps again without a problem

Can't you just copy and paste everything to the new SD card?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I usually recommend between 32GB and 64GB. The people who need something bigger than 64GB are usually the ones who download a bunch of games they'll never play.

I use 32GB with more than enough room to spare.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...