what size sd card should I get for my 3DS 128gb ?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by ratmandom, Jun 8, 2018.

1. ratmandom
    OP

ratmandom GBAtemp Regular

Mar 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    hello I was wondering if I could get a sd card bigger than 128gb or even if that was to big for the sd card speeds on the 3ds....

I have the old 3ds,
    and a r4i gold plus with the switch from nrt and wood because I am cool.

www.r4ids.cn

2. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Addict

Aug 20, 2016
    United States
    you can use any size. I have a 200gb on mine. The only thing that will affect the speeds is how much the sd is filled. if you got 180gb worth of stuff then you'll notice a bit of load times.

ratmandom likes this.
  3. ratmandom
    OP

Mar 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    so could I use 3 cards(200gb), with one device would the speed be faster, how does using more than one card work?

4. ratmandom
    This message by ratmandom has been removed from public view by porkiewpyne, Jun 8, 2018.
    Jun 8, 2018
  5. Escorpion

Escorpion GBAtemp Regular

Aug 25, 2015
    Colombia
    Quindío
    Listen uhhmmm... i don´t understand why u should wish to use 3 Sd Cards of 200Gb... with just one Sd of 200Gb you will be reaally fine. Besides that, the "speed spec" depends on the Sd Class, por example: Sd Class 4-6-8-10. (10) Is the faster one for every size of Sd.

ratmandom likes this.
  6. ratmandom
    OP

Mar 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I want to play about with psx retroarch and all the 3ds titles, thank for the help but is it ok to use more than one sd card ?

7. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    200gb should be enough you get around 183 GB, if you want more space you can get a 256GB, you get roughly 238GB space. But remember the 300 titles limit

ratmandom likes this.
  8. ratmandom
    OP

Mar 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    thanks man, I have not played with my 3ds yet complete noob, I will get a 256 thank you! @Hayato213

Hayato213 likes this.
  9. Escorpion

Escorpion GBAtemp Regular

Aug 25, 2015
    Colombia
    Quindío
    Hayato is right, and indeed it´s more recommended to just use 1 SD card on you´re 3ds... i mean is more convenient...

Last edited by Escorpion, Jun 8, 2018
    ratmandom and Hayato213 like this.
  10. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Nah brah, he's on break from GBAtemp. Real life got in the way from helping you like his job, kids, or taking a dump.

You can have as many SD cards as you want. 3DS don't care what GB sized SD you stick in or how many. You might though if constantly swapping cards isn't your style.

You're in luck as you live in the UK, and there's this beastly card.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Integral-microSDXC-Memory-Smartphones-Tablets/dp/B0798DW5NW

lone_wolf323 likes this.
  11. Rubedo

Rubedo Aikawa is OLEV

Jul 29, 2008
    United States
    I was thinking about upgrading to a 64GB from a 32GB, but... what do you mean exactly by load times? Will the load times in games take longer too? Or just booting the system up?

12. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Higher class card has higher transfer speed, but more contents on the SD card take longer to load up on starting up the 3ds, like few seconds extra.

ratmandom likes this.
  13. Rubedo

Rubedo Aikawa is OLEV

Jul 29, 2008
    United States
    Right but the games themselves won't have increased load times, right?

14. chirogan

chirogan The Engineer

Feb 28, 2018
    Philippines
    I have 128 GB and almost full with all the AAA Titles you could think of. Around 115 titles. Im on my 5th title and i just like hoarding games so in choosing what to play, i could play it right away.
    With all that, i notice a bit of loading time in startup and a few hiccups on the app selection. But i find everything more than enough for my needs.

ratmandom likes this.
  15. ratmandom
    OP

Mar 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I have seen that a good while a go now

16. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Addict

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Ain't really gonna make a lot of difference since it is SD card.

Last edited by Hayato213, Jun 10, 2018
    ratmandom likes this.
  17. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Regular

May 11, 2017
    United States
    One other thing to note is since you have an original 3ds using the psx retroarch core will result in games being unplayable (the n3ds can barely play any games itself). I currently have a 128gb card and it's filled to the max. All I experience problems with is a some icons take a bit to load in the home menu (3-4 seconds max).
    Also you'll have to reformat any sd 128gb or larger to fat32. You may need to use a program for this since you usually can't format using the standard windows format. Ease US Partition tool (something like that) has a free version that can help you do that if need be as well. Also switching between sd cards is a bad idea. If I were you I'd use godmode9 (.3dsx) to "inject" the latest FBI (cia installer/homebrew downloader) into your health and safety app. This way if you really want multiple sd cards if something gets wiped off of any of them you'll be able to install your standard custom firmware apps again without a problem

Last edited by MythicalData, Jun 10, 2018
    ratmandom likes this.
  18. ratmandom
    OP

Mar 22, 2018
    United Kingdom
    There is so much going for the 3ds I have only modded mine this weekend,

I want another new 3ds xl or the new 2ds xl or both, and a good lan box one of them asus boxes they look good.

19. Rubedo

Rubedo Aikawa is OLEV

Jul 29, 2008
    United States
    Can't you just copy and paste everything to the new SD card?

20. DaTank45

DaTank45 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2017
    United States
    go big or go home... Depends on what you have in mind. 64gb should be more then enough

ratmandom likes this.
  21. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I usually recommend between 32GB and 64GB. The people who need something bigger than 64GB are usually the ones who download a bunch of games they'll never play.

I use 32GB with more than enough room to spare.

cihalfaon and JiveTheTurkey like this.