Hacking what size SD card recommended for softmodding?

drizzt007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw a tutorial saying you can use up to 32GB , but it doesn't say what the minimum size you are able to use.

I have a 256MB card , will that work ?

does the card have to stay in the console afterwards? I have a 2GB card but I'm using it for my digital camera. if I could use it to mod the wii and then go back to using it in my camera that would be perfect.

is Zelda TP still necessary?

I apologize if these are noobish questions, I'm still reading the tutorials and just thought I'd ask these questions in the meantime to see if I get the answer faster here.

tissemikkel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well you can use it, but you will fill your 256mb card up with homebrew in no time. And just swap the 2gb card as you want from the camera to the wii.

No, you can now use bannerbomb or SmashStack, google and you will easily find it.

azeazezar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I originally put homebrew on my wii with with a 16 MB sd-card.
So your 256MB card will work.
Still, to make a nand backup a 1GB or bigger card is required.
You can use the card from your camera for homebrew and then put it back into the camera.

Zelda isn't needed any more, u can use bannerbomb or the SSBB hack.

After softmodding an sd card isn't needed.

tissemikkel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No problem mate
smile.gif

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use a 256 MB card for everything I need and still have room to spare. You are fine using that for general use. I have a 2GB card I use for my camera as well which I use just to make NAND backups when necessary and back them up to my PC, then I go back to using the 256MB card for everyday use.

Edit: Also read through the guide below in my sig regarding any other questions you may have. Everything you may or may not need to use is explained in detail there.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
2gb sd card are the best and most stable in my opinion

anything lower is also good.
sdhc's get kind of sketchy and thats when some problems arise

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hmm well some isos are over 3 gb if not scrubbed (scrub=delete all the useless data to make filesize small) so yeah... i had to buy a bigger card -_________-

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
baffle-boy said:
hmm well some isos are over 3 gb if not scrubbed (scrub=delete all the useless data to make filesize small) so yeah... i had to buy a bigger card -_________-

That's for using an SD card to load full games from, not for homebrew purposes, and using an SD card for that is really inefficient.

ACK06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
using an SD card for that is really inefficient.

Agreed, but I also have a hard time understanding why spending ~$100 for a dedicated HDD is practical, too.

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ACK06 said:
nabster92 said:
using an SD card for that is really inefficient.

Agreed, but I also have a hard time understanding why spending ~$100 for a dedicated HDD is practical, too.

Doesn't need to be dedicated as you can easily get a hard drive large enough to partition at that price and use for other storage space as well while you would spend relatively a lot more for an SDHC card per GB you're getting out of it and not really be able to use it for anything else.

Also USB/SD loading isn't really necessary at all in the first place, but if you're going to spend money on an SDHC card JUST for it, you might as well pay a little bit more to get a much larger hard drive that can be used to at least hold more than the SDHC card if not other things as well with a partition.

Edit: If you have either an HDD or SDHC card handy, that's fine to use and efficiency doesn't really matter, but just saying that it's not worth it to go out of your way to buy an SDHC card over a hard drive for sd/usb loading.

Searching the same price ranges:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....%20-%20$50

SDHC cards from $25-$50 will get you about 8-16GB whereas

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....%20-%20$50

Hard drives in the same price range can get you from 60 to 500 GB

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
drizzt007 said:
having a chip installed already doesn't interfere with this in any way does it?

No, it shouldn't, just make sure if you use a chip do not do any disc updates without knowing for sure what it will do to your system. If you did something useless like downgraded a 4.0 system to 3.2 and then "accidentally" update the system from a disc that had a 3.4 update. You would brick your Wii beyond recovery. You can use preloader or startpatch to block disc updates to get around that. (Do that after updating to 4.0/4.1 if you aren't already though.)

drizzt007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, thanks.

I'm still reading through your guide. its a lot of info to digest. I think I'm almost ready to go though.

ok, I've got homebrew channel installed.

trying to backup the NAND now.

* Put the SD card in your Wii. For folks that installed as boot2, just make sure the BootMii folder is on the root of your SD card and restart your Wii. Continue 4 steps down.
* A HomeBrew channel should have appeared on the first page of your Wii channels. Start this channel.
* Press the Home button on your Wii remote.
* Press Launch BootMii.
* Your Wii will restart to a new menu. This is BootMii.
You will need a GameCube controller to use this screen if you installed as IOS. If you installed as boot2, you can use the buttons on your Wii (power = move, reset = select, and eject = eject) to navigate.
* Go over to the little gears and press A.
* Click on the icon with the arrow pointing from the chip to the SD card.
* Follow the steps on the screen-- press start, then A to begin the dump.
* This will take about 7-10 minutes depending on the speed of your SD card.

the homebrew channel is there but when I hit the home button , there's no launch bootmii option.

drizzt007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong , I've installed bootmii as boot2 and it said it was successful.

but when I launch the homebrew channel, there's not option for me to launch bootmii.

I tried deleting everything from the sd card and reformatting it with SDformatter version2 , then copied everything back to the card but got the same results.

ozguy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
* Your Wii will restart to a new menu. This is BootMii.
You will need a GameCube controller to use this screen if you installed as IOS. If you installed as boot2, you can use the buttons on your Wii (power = move, reset = select, and eject = eject) to navigate.

Umm, I can only install BootMii as IOS, but I can still use the power/reset buttons to control the BootMii menu.
My wireless gamecube controller batteries were dead, so I tried the buttons and they work.

Posts merged

drizzt007 said:
can someone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong , I've installed bootmii as boot2 and it said it was successful.

but when I launch the homebrew channel, there's not option for me to launch bootmii.

I tried deleting everything from the sd card and reformatting it with SDformatter version2 , then copied everything back to the card but got the same results.

Once you are on the Homebrew Channel, hit the HOME button on the WiiMote. The BootMii option should be on that menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.