Hacking What simple thing could lead to DS emulation?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 16,608
  • Replies 159
  • Likes 3

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@The Real Jdbye summed it up better than I could - anyone with the knowledge to do such a thing refuses to, because piracy.

I would say it's possible but won't be done until we get better knowledge of how TWL_FIRM works.
That's ironic though.
They hate piracy, but they'd allow companies to gain money off piracy?

While I'm personally fine with piracy, I'm not fine with paying for piracy.
The R4 people are getting your money for you to get the ability to pirate. That's fucking stupid.

I understand why devs are against piracy, but wouldn't they prefer that no one benefits or gains money off piracy?

Last edited by Supster131,

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's ironic though.
They hate piracy, but they'd allow companies to gain money off piracy?

While I'm personally fine with piracy, I'm not fine with paying for piracy.
The R4 people are getting your money for you to get the ability to pirate. That's fucking stupid.

I understand why devs are against piracy, but wouldn't they prefer that no one benefits or gains money off piracy?
Well I dunno, if it were my choice I'd have DS mode hax out by now, but I'm not like "piracy is literally Hitler" either.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Especially with the old nds flashcard launchers thanks to @Apache Thunder there is very little draw I would imagine most people now have some sort of nds rom capability and the handful that dont could probably get one for pennies seeing as they could even use a original r4 card which are practically worthless up until apache thunder made his launcher

And to mirror what other people have said, there is a lack of capable hands in the cfw scene, there still isnt even a proper region free patch except for with gateway so if we are still lacking what could be considered basic staple cfw features that we have come to expect from cfw's I wouldnt hold out too much hope of essentially a full rewrite of twl_firm

As for "urg people making money off piracy" get a old school r4 card for like £3 if your so against anyone making money its not like they are making much money with those margins.......infact the old r4 cards are so old the only person making money are people selling their nans card who passed away and the postage probably costs as much as the card sells for.....so dont worry, nobody is making any mega money from old r4 cards:P, probably more money being made from ads by the rom sites you get your roms off

Last edited by gamesquest1,

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
If depends if you consider that use nds is piracy ..its more a moral dilema than a reallity. ..use The flashcards If you need nds

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
5 dollar flashcart and a few days postage solves everything. Buy one tonight/today online and in a few days time it will make you feel like you walked into a shop to buy it :)

Regardless if some devs have achieved it already or not, why would they release something that can be achieved with $5 and a few days postage?

To the younger guys that don't have credit/debit cards, can't you create a paypal account and use mum or dads' credit/debit card?

Reactions: CeeDee
D

Deleted User

OP
Right now the closest you'll get is creating "shortcut" applications that launch a game from an R4 which is very doable. I recently confirmed DLDI capable NTR mode homebrew can access storage on original R4 cards. So you could create a launcher that sends a command to a rom manager on the R4 (one that has argv support maybe. Perhaps some special version of Moonshell or something. Not sure if WoodR4 supports this) to start a specific game.

Not even sure the current rom managers for R4 support this. In that case, have fun programming a new rom manager from scratch. While you're at it, you might as well make one for DSi Enhanced games and even allow DSi Enhanced mode to work for such games which is theoretically possible. Say goobye to the rare and expensive iEvolution. It's theoretically possible for an R4 to use DSi Enhanced mode. You just need to program a rom manager that supports it. :P

hbmenu could be a good starting point for this. I have confirmed if you convert it to CIA compatible SRL that boots in DSi Hybrid mode instead of DSi Exclusive mode, give it R4 DLDI, and install it. It can access and launch things off the R4 (in DSi Enhanced mode!).

The original rom managers for the R4 don't work properly in DSi Enhanced mode however. Currently hbmenu isn't setup to launch commerical roms....For obvious reasons. The creators of it weren't interested in that. But if you got the programming knowhow, it wouldn't be difficult for you to repurpose it for that. Just don't expect the devs behind hbmenu to help, because they sure as hell won't be happy that you would ba**stardize it for retail rom loading. :P
Are you hinting at something? :)

Having DSi mode on an r4 would be cool, that way I wouldn't need to use my Black and White game cards when in want to play them.

Reactions: Pacheko17

frosty5689

Trophies
XP
Country
Twl_firm has very limited access to the 3ds's hardware, this includes sdcard. You would have to hack 3ds firmware to load a nds ROM into memory, which doesnt fit every nds game, and hack twlfirm to load from memory. or hack sd access into twlfirm. Good luck reverse engineering a blackbox. Like many have said, the only goal of this is piracy, so it is very unlikely for any well known sceners to do it. And since no profit can be made from this, those that hack for profit will not either.

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Twl_firm has very limited access to the 3ds's hardware, this includes sdcard. You would have to hack 3ds firmware to load a nds ROM into memory, which doesnt fit every nds game, and hack twlfirm to load from memory. or hack sd access into twlfirm. Good luck reverse engineering a blackbox. Like many have said, the only goal of this is piracy, so it is very unlikely for any well known sceners to do it. And since no profit can be made from this, those that hack for profit will not either.
I don't see why they would be against piracy for a dead console, but then again, Devolution exists

Reactions: Gray_Jack

frosty5689

Trophies
XP
Country
So you prefer paying for piracy? Nice!
If you're gonna give some one money, it may as well go to the ones who made the game, not the ones who made the flashcart.
By that logic, yes go buy nds catridges. They are dirt cheap now anyway.

Seriously though, whoever wants to run nds game directly on 3ds without flash cart should figureout how to do it themselves or stop asking. Hacking is not a simple task.

Reactions: bakageta

solsolis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't reprogram TWL_FIRM and the Arm9loader hasn't been reprogrammed. All arm9loaderhax really does is feed the arm9loader a different key to decrypt the FIRM binary to garbage. You can't just reprogram software you can patch (to a certain extent) it but in the case of firmware binaries that can be extremely difficult. I mean patching signature checks is one thing adding brand new functionality is whole new ball park.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously though, whoever wants to run nds game directly on 3ds without flash cart should figureout how to do it themselves or stop asking. Hacking is not a simple task.
You just answered your own question really.
Hacking isn't easy, yet you expect just anyone to figure it out themselves?

@Bobesh8 and @Apache Thunder were trying, and they kinda got it to work, but they only got DS demos to work.
The ones who can probably make it possible hate piracy (but they're fine with people paying for piracy, hypocrites).

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really know much about what goes into creating this... But I know there was something semi similar to this. Here's the link
https://gbatemp.net/threads/dsi-homebrew-menu-directly-on-your-home-menu.416791/

And just a theory... if Arm9LoaderHAX has the ability to run .bin files at launch... Would it be possible to run a modded DS system .bin and from there run .nds rom files?
Like before launching the NDS system .bin select a .nds rom to load as a cart with the 3DS's internal DS .bin file.
Again, almost NO idea what I'm talking about.

And regarding Dev's Times and piracy... Devs that make this would be people who have the interest in this, see the interest it does have in the community, and also have some programming skills. It wouldn't take away time from the developers that are behind the CFW and the other mods. And personally, I have my entire game library ripped from carts on all my 3ds's. It's nice to not have to carry my carts and risk losing them at parties. Plus, I can have a modded pokemon or smash while keeping the cart clean and legit. Yes, people pirate including myself in some instances (Hyrule Warriors JP before US launch). But I'd love to have runnable digital backups of my DS library on my 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)