Hacking What should I know before update to last firmware?

gengardenne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What change between 11.6 and 11.8?N can now detect if you use freeshop and so on...but can preinstalled .cia files or homebrew apps be dangerous?
Ntrboot is still working?Thank you :)

Aletron9000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ntrboot will always work. freeshop is screwed on all firmwares because it is a server change. Before you update, make sure you are running boot9strap and update to the latest luma. homebrew cia files are safe to install.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
What you should know is that the majority of what you've read about 11.8 was overblown and misconceptions. What was added was a feature where they could check the tickets of games being installed via sleep mode, which is now pointless because you can't even use freeShop (nor any app like it) due to the updates added to the CDN. Nintendo can not detect apps installed onto your system via an OFW update, they can only read what's being phoned back to them. You can continue to install homebrew and even non-legit games on your system. The risk of getting banned depends on a several different factors, but OFW isn't one of them.
NTRBoot is a bootROM exploit and the only way for Nintendo to fix it is with new hardware. There's no way for it to be patched out via an OFW update.

gengardenne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ntrboot will always work. freeshop is screwed on all firmwares because it is a server change. Before you update, make sure you are running boot9strap and update to the latest luma. homebrew cia files are safe to install.

There's a fork of freeshop still working on all older firmware and maybe also on 11.8 but shouldn't be safer as before.
Homebrews are ok,same for cia games installed from FBI and not from freeshop or similar methods?

Ok thank you all :)

Last edited by gengardenne,

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
There's a fork of freeshop still working on all older firmware and maybe also on 11.8 but shouldn't be safer as before.
Homebrews are ok,same for cia games installed from FBI and not from freeshop or similar methods?
The CND update is server side and freeShop (along with all other apps like it) can no longer download games from Nintendo's servers. This is something that we can not fix unless we can find another way into the servers. This is effects all OFWs from 1.0 to 11.8 and there's not much we can do about it.
Installing CIAs and homebrew through FBI is about as safe on 11.8 as it was before. Your risks of getting banned will not increase due to 11.8, nor will it decrease on an older OFW. Hacking your system will always come with a risk of getting banned (even if it's extremely slim,) this can not be avoided.

Last edited by The Catboy,

gengardenne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The CND update is server side and freeShop (along with all other apps like it) can no longer download games from Nintendo's servers. This is something that we can not fix unless we can find another way into the servers. This is effects all OFWs from 1.0 to 11.8 and there's not much we can do about it.
Installing CIAs and homebrew through FBI is about as safe on 11.8 as it was before. Your risks of getting banned will not increase due to 11.8.

But if I would restore my Nand backup I could use again the platform right?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
But if I would restore my Nand backup I could use again the platform right?
No, restoring to a previously unbanned NAND will only result in you getting banned again. There's several methods of getting unbanned depending on the ban you are dealing with. In most cases you will have to change your friendseed with an friendseed that isn't banned.

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
There is no way to use freeshop again. Its nothing to do the the 3DS or its updates. Nintendo has changed the security on the servers and now nothing like Freeshop can download from them, no matter what you use.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought he meant restoring the Nand to use Freeshop again, not get unbanned. Restoring the Nand won't fix either.

Last edited by spectral,

gengardenne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There is no way to use freeshop again. Its nothing to do the the 3DS or its updates. Nintendo has changed the security on the servers and now nothing like Freeshop can download from them, no matter what you use.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought he meant restoring the Nand to use Freeshop again, not get unbanned. Restoring the Nand won't fix either.
Ok thank you for your clarification

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still not entirely sure any cia that isnt' legit is safe.

homebrew .3dsx through rosalina hb launcher is definitely safe.

running fbi.3dsx throguh rosalina itself is definitely safe.

launching cias through fbi ran through rosalina hb launcher may be safe. i'm not sure if it updates the info that is sent or not. if not, then it's safe.

I really wish that someone would just give a straight answer.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm still not entirely sure any cia that isnt' legit is safe.

homebrew .3dsx through rosalina hb launcher is definitely safe.

running fbi.3dsx throguh rosalina itself is definitely safe.

launching cias through fbi ran through rosalina hb launcher may be safe. i'm not sure if it updates the info that is sent or not. if not, then it's safe.

I really wish that someone would just give a straight answer.
Non-legit CIAs are safe, it's only doing things like playing some games online before launch (Pokémon got people banned, Monster Hunter didn't) and cheating online that run the risk of getting banned.
You don't need to go through an obtuse method to be safe, you can just play your games like normal.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then was the mega "cfw ban wave" ever solved? i never did see a definite answer on the question but it was confirmed that if you are on the internet your title you are playing is sent i thought.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu