Hacking What Should I Get, N3DS or 3DSXL

mar789

Master Italian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a Gateway and I have OoT and I was wondering which one would be the better choice.

Thanks for any help.

KJ1

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Definitely, N3ds is the best, if you can find a one with firmware 9.2 or lower and you have Ocarina of Time! :)

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would go for 3ds xl. larger screens, and also much more support in the hacking scene.
While with n3ds there isn't really so much interesting features for now comparing to the o3ds, and also there is no full emunand support with it using gateway either.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go for 3ds xl. larger screens, and also much more support in the hacking scene.
While with n3ds there isn't really so much interesting features for now comparing to the o3ds, and also there is no emunand support with it using gateway either.
Hwa?
1) OP has a Canada flag. NoA only released N3DS XL, so it's XL either way. Though I suppose that's bad wording on their part.
2) Gateway does have EmuNAND support (and so does ReiNAND at this time, but anyway), the issue is that it's max 9.5, not that it's not there at all!

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I highly recommed you a New 3DS (the normal one, not the xl version).
I had in possession a 3DS XL and believe me, it's cool and all to have a bigger console, but in my opinion the big pixels are horrible. Go with the New 3DS, pixel density is not much different than the normal 3DS but it has slight bigger screens.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I absolutely adore my French, black N3DS and all my faceplates. I can't imagine owning an XL at this point.

mar789

Master Italian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I currently have an O3DS on 4.5 that I use a gateway with but I wanted to update as my O3DS is getting old and the odd time the R shoulder button doesn't work.

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I own a N3DSXL, and it's pretty great. It's a tad bigger than the original XL, but that's not really a big deal. The smooth corners make it easy to throw in my suit pocket, and the pixel density is fine. I don't understand all the hate on the XL series in regard to pixel density anyway. It looks pretty much the same to me, and I own a 2DS, 3DS, 3DSXL, and N3DSXL, so I can compare actively. I like the larger console, as there's more room for my hands, though the 2DS fulfills that as well. The N3DSXL has the CCP nub too, so you can be assured of compatibility where the CCP is used. Next, it is about twice as powerful as the regular 3DS/XL, allowing for more demanding homebrew and games to run, when designed. That means you would have a much higher possibility of getting access to a N64 or PS1 emulator on your device, should the initiative be taken to build either.

So...

Pros:

- Larger Screens makes playing more enjoyable
- Larger console makes playing more comfortable for those with larger hands
- SuperStable 3D means actually being able to use 3D without wanting to snap your console
- Twice as powerful, for better homebrew and games
- Generally awesome

Cons:

- Larger screens, but lower pixel density. Some hate this, some don't care
- Larger console means harder to fit in your pockets
- Larger console means harder to hold in your hands, if you have small hands
- Costs more, and can be difficult to find a compatible console at retail

Up to you man, but those are my thoughts.

AlbertoSONIC

Pasta Team Member
Trophies
Website
www.albertosonic.com
XP
Country
Italy
N3DS (regular):
-Everything is matte, looking ugly
-The white one has a yellow tint
Result: Cheap Look

N3DS XL:
-Outside is lucid, inside is matte
-Bigger screen
Result: Premium Look

Also, the "XL has a lower pixel density" is an useless statement. You don't use a big screen at the same distance as you would do with a smaller one. You use the N3DS XL further than the regular N3DS and this removes the low pixel density issue ;)

mar789

Master Italian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One of my big questions as to N3DS is online play. I like being able to play with my friends on EmuNand. Is there anything at all on being able to play online with the N3DS.

mar789

Master Italian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So can a N3DS basically do everything a O3DS can do with just different steps such as having to use OoT?

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So can a N3DS basically do everything a O3DS can do with just different steps such as having to use OoT?
Yes, though you'll be only using OoT for the initial install. From there, you'll install the MSET downgrade and shelf OoT for the foreseeable future. And, of course, EmuNAND is limited to 9.5FW for now, but it's assumed that Gateway, or an external team, will overcome that limitation in due time.

Reactions: mar789

mar789

Master Italian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, though you'll be only using OoT for the initial install. From there, you'll install the MSET downgrade and shelf OoT for the foreseeable future. And, of course, EmuNAND is limited to 9.5FW for now, but it's assumed that Gateway, or an external team, will overcome that limitation in due time.

Okay, thank you, this has cleared it up for me. I'm comfortable moving ahead with getting a N3DS

Gadorach

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, thank you, this has cleared it up for me. I'm comfortable moving ahead with getting a N3DS
Great, just refer to this thread for the necessary information for finding a N3DSXL running 9.2.0 or lower:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-firmware-by-version-number.381479/

And don't worry, sales clerks are happy to check the serial numbers for you if you ask them with intent to buy. Just tell them what you want and that you won't be interested if they don't have a model in the range you need. They'll look for it for you because they want the sale more than you want the console.

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hwa?
1) OP has a Canada flag. NoA only released N3DS XL, so it's XL either way. Though I suppose that's bad wording on their part.
2) Gateway does have EmuNAND support (and so does ReiNAND at this time, but anyway), the issue is that it's max 9.5, not that it's not there at all!

Yeah I meant there is no full emunand support, I did edit that right after posting ^^'

but yeah if you don't care about the cons in the hacking part, I would say go for n3ds, for me the high brightness is a good plus for n3ds, makes it much more usable outside in sunlight.
Thanks for the info about the canada thing btw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr