Gaming What should i get for my Birthday?

SavageWaffle

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well. I'm currently saving money for a Xbox 360. So far its ok. I'm saving for the following:
(In Order)
1)Call of Duty 4
2)Xbox 360 Pro
3)Xbox Live 12 Month(After i buy the 360
*Games*
4)Kayne & Lynch:Dead Man
5)Deaf Jam Icon
6)GTA IV(Will probably be released because the time i get my 360,(August 31st) it will most likely be already released.

So while im saving for my 360, in the middle, it will be my birthday.
August 31st: Enough money to buy 360
August 1st: Birthday

So i was thinking of getting a HD-DVD Player Add On for the 360. This is only cause my DVD Player pretty much shut down on me. Its $130+Tax in Circuit City, BUT includes King Kong. And in Best Buy, its $120+Tax but no King Kong(I think, online, they didn't say "W/ KING KONG!". I know there is a $10 difference but a average HD-DVD Movie is about $35(For newest movie) and $20 for olds or classics,w/e.

So is it worth it? And since it will be Summer Vacation, i wont/want to have a birthday party. Most of my friends will most likely be in Florida(Where in NY.) And becuase of that, im only going to get like 2 or 3 presents. (Mom,Dad,Dads friend).

Im thinking of:
Dad buys HD-DVD Player ADD-ON for Xbox 360 http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Xbox-360-HD...roductDetail.do
Mom buys one HD-DVD Movie: I now Pronounce you Chuck & Larry
http://entertainment.circuitcity.com/Movie...dcs=1&st=Movies
Dads friend buys(maybe, not sure.) The Kingdom
http://entertainment.circuitcity.com/Movie...dcs=1&st=Movies

Is this like worth it?
Dont flame for what im thinking of.

Duke_Jay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DONT buy the HD-DVD addon, I do not know if you heard the news but HD-DVD is dead, Toshiba stopped the production of HD-DVD players. There are some rumors that Microsoft will be releasing a Blu-Ray addon in May, you better wait for that.
wink.gif

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
This is only cause my DVD Player pretty much shut down on me.
Skip the HD-DVD. Without the addon the 360 can still play normal DVDs just fine. Hell, it works better than my old DVD player, so I bought the remote for it and use it as my player now.

As far as games. There are so many games that are way better than Kayne & Lynch and Def Jam.
I highly recommend Mass Effect (my current favorite) and Orange Box if you haven't played any of it on PC. Also Rock Band if you can afford an extra instrument controller or two.
And like GTA IV, there will also be more great games out before August.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No addon, try to get a combo BD/HD DVD player if you can. Also, Chuck and Larry? Really? I suggest combo player because some of the movies on HD DVD might not come to Blu-Ray any time soon and the HD DVD disks will be in bargain bins.

And cut out game #4. It is not good. Add Bioshock or Halo 3 or Mass Effect.

jalapeno

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldnt buy the 12 month xbox live straight away.

they give u a month trial, so give it a test run, see if you like it before you commit.

Definitely get Bioshock, i havent played #4 or #5 but bioshock is really fun.

Maybe you could look into 'flashing' your xbox.
it would be cheaper than buying those 4 games [if you are on a budget]

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I take back the combo suggestion. A Toshiba HD-A3 is $100, compared to $400 for a blu-ray player (the PS3). The bargain bin $5 or $10 HD DVD disks will pay for the player.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I take back the combo suggestion. A Toshiba HD-A3 is $100, compared to $400 for a blu-ray player (the PS3). The bargain bin $5 or $10 HD DVD disks will pay for the player.

Tweaked

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ZINGER

IN BEFORE TEH FLAMES

also to make this non forum trollish.

Id probily ask for a 120 gig hard drive instead of the dvd player.

In a year blue ray will be second to downloadable content.

microsoft has there fingers in the pot :

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Personnelly I wouldn't get Kayne & Lynch:Dead Man Or Deaf Jam Icon. I've never played Kayne & Lynch but I've heard loads of bad things about it. What I would suggest is just getting the 360 and maybe 1 game. CoD 4 is a great game. Download the demos of the games your interested in, then play them to see if you like them.

Like everyone else says avoid the HD-DVD Addon, as its finished.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personnelly I wouldn't get Kayne & Lynch:Dead Man Or Deaf Jam Icon. I've never played Kayne & Lynch but I've heard loads of bad things about it. What I would suggest is just getting the 360 and maybe 1 game. CoD 4 is a great game. Download the demos of the games your interested in, then play them to see if you like them.

Like everyone else says avoid the HD-DVD Addon, as its finished.

Agreed. I also would highly consider flashing your 360 and buying a pack of verbatims. You will most likely get a falcon model and should not have to worry about the rrod so voiding your warranty shouldn't be a concern. But you can also flash your 360 without mangling your warranty sticker just in case.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Why did you double post? And that HD Player is only 720p/1080i. Also whats the point in investing on a (basically) dead format?

You really don't understand time, do you?

OMG ONLY 1080i!!! It's not progressive!!!!
I guess a 1080p HD DVD player would be ~$130. There are 400+ titles in HD DVD, and those are the reason to invest. There are dozens of AAA movies among them, and they will soon be in the bargain bin. What is stupid is buying 15 blu-ray movies when they are also out in HD DVD. Because the price difference would MORE THAN pay for the player.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

Why did you double post? And that HD Player is only 720p/1080i. Also whats the point in investing on a (basically) dead format?

You really don't understand time, do you?

OMG ONLY 1080i!!! It's not progressive!!!!
I guess a 1080p HD DVD player would be ~$130. There are 400+ titles in HD DVD, and those are the reason to invest. There are dozens of AAA movies among them, and they will soon be in the bargain bin. What is stupid is buying 15 blu-ray movies when they are also out in HD DVD. Because the price difference would MORE THAN pay for the player.

Not when you buy them@ Discount prices. And it's ridiculous your trying to give him such horrible advice. It's better buying a Blu-ray Player now than buying an HD-DVD player now, and later on spending MORE money on a Blu-ray player. HD-DVD is dead, Their not gonna make movies for the format very soon. You can buy BD Movies on Amazon for ~$20.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol