Hardware what should i get for christmas?

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or more games in general a friend asked me cause her husband is retired navy hence can use NEX (navy Exchange) on base i might get the switch when more games come out seeing the 3ds's last big game comes out in 2 weeks (or sooner you know what i mean) waiting on gen 8 for switch tbh i already got skyrim on pc which can be modded unlike switch/xbox/ps

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are asking in the switch thread? You'll. Probably get more switch bias here. You have to make the choice yourself, but I'll give a few points for consideration to help you decide.
Firstly, you have to look at what games are on the system or will be in the system. You also have to take into account if you already can play some of those games on a system you already own such as a PC. Obviously all Nintendo IPs will be bound to the switch. As for third party support, currently the ps4 had better support, but switch is seeing a growing increase in that department so it shouldn't be a problem in the near future.
Another thing you have to consider is your play style and your life style. The switch has a major advantage over the ps4 in that it is also a portable console. I played odyssey while waiting on campus for class to start. It's also nice to be able to share a joycon to play with friends when away from home.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't care about the Pro (or graphics in general) then the PS4 for sure. Couple of leaks are showing PS4 Slims (1TB) for $200 this holiday season. That's a steal!

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Which games are you the most interested to play right now?
Zelda Breath of the Wild? Super Mario Odyssey? Stardew Valley in a portable format? The Last of Us? Before Dawn? Call of Duty? Destiny 2?

If you feel that "Damn, I really wanna play the new Mario" then go for a Switch. If you feel "I wanna sink some hours into the Uncharted series" then go for a PS4.

I have a Switch. I don't have a PS4. That's the only subjective advice I can give on this matter :P

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
or more games in general a friend asked me cause her husband is retired navy hence can use NEX (navy Exchange) on base i might get the switch when more games come out seeing the 3ds's last big game comes out in 2 weeks (or sooner you know what i mean) waiting on gen 8 for switch tbh i already got skyrim on pc which can be modded unlike switch/xbox/ps

Why not go for a PC then? For the same price you get an OK PC, far more backwards compatible and it'll have content for a long time, while that architecture is supported and while your specs support new games. When it doesn't, you can make incremental upgrades of what you need rather than investing in a whole new system?

Reactions: Deleted-379826

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both. I played through Knack. That's the ONLY game I sat down and played all the way through on my PS4. Why? Whenever I'm actually home, I'm on my computer and my wife is on the TV. My Switch received more (exponentially, even) game play than my PS4 with only BotW. I own Skyrim on the PC, but never played more than 40 minutes or so of it (because I'm either surfing the 'net or watching TV shows). I'm going to buy it for the Switch, and probably finish it soonish afterwords... If you or the person who you're getting it for can relate, get the portable. If you/they already spend a good amount of time on a home console, then get the PS4.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by urherenow,

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd say PS4 for now. The PS4 has open world Action RPGs (if you like that, personally I hate them, the stories are always lackluster and the worlds are boring to explore) JRPGs (turned based and Action RPG), fighting games, some platforming games, simulation games (with things like Stardew Valley), beat em up games, shooters, and a ton of other stuff. The Switch still doesn't have too many games. But the Switch will be getting Pokémon (presumably Gen 8), more Zelda and Mario games, and a lot of first party stuff in the future. I know there's a some 3rd party stuff out too, like Sonic Mania, Sonic Forces is coming, and there are some RPGs IIRC. If you're willing to wait on those to come out and you like those games then get a Switch. If not you can always wait a year or two until there's a decent library.

It's really about what kind of games you want. I have a PS4 for some bigger titles (and now JRPGs are coming to the system), a Vita for JRPGs, visual novel type games, ports of older games (plus whatever I can buy cheap), and a 3DS for the first party games and some of the third party RPGs, beat em ups, and whatever else is on the system because it has a little bit of everything.

So just get whatever has or will get the games you want.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you don't have a decent gaming PC then go for PS4, preferably PS4 Pro. Get Switch later as a companion device. I say this because most PS4 games are older and thus cheaper at this point, and Switch games haven't had time for price drops.
I don't think the switch is going to get a price drop any time soon and if your a fan of pokemon gen 8s going to be one the switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...