Hacking What should I do?

ples

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii hasn't been used in a while, and I haven't really been paying attention to the homebrew scene much lately, so please be easy on me.
tongue.gif

I have a Wii with firmware 3.1U and a WiiKey v1 with 1.9s installed on it. I installed the HBC and am able to use WAD Manager to install WADs. The majority of them, however, spit out "this channel cannot be used" and refuse to work. I assume I need to upgrade to a newer firmware, but I've heard some bad things about 3.4.

Can/should I upgrade manually to another firmware besides 3.4? I don't want to give up the ability to install WADs and such.

Thanks all.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
first, if you know how to use the HBC, install cIOS36_r7, so can have a fall back if you do the update to 3.4 for any reason, then use the cIOS Downgrader 1.2 to set your Wii in 3.2 and install Starfall, and if the channel is says that I think that's because it is not region free, Starfall can make your Wii region free Channels/Wii games/GC games....!!!
smile.gif

ples

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
first, if you know how to use the HBC, install cIOS36_r7, so can have a fall back if you do the update to 3.4 for any reason, then use the cIOS Downgrader 1.2 to set your Wii in 3.2 and install Starfall, and if the channel is says that I think that's because it is not region free, Starfall can make your Wii region free Channels/Wii games/GC games....!!!
smile.gif

What exactly is cIOS36_r7? A version of the Wii firmware? How does it act as a fallback? Will the downgrader upgrade me to 3.2, or is that after cIOS36_r7 upgrades me to 3.4?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get things straight so I don't brick anything.
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

cIOS is custom IOS. With cIOS you are able to do things that wii doesnt allow you to (play backups, etc).

Get cIOS36 rev07, it's the newest.

ples

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afif95 said:
cIOS is custom IOS. With cIOS you are able to do things that wii doesnt allow you to (play backups, etc).

Get cIOS36 rev07, it's the newest.

Does the Wii Menu stay the same etc?

I'll get right on that.
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

Yea, the system menu stays the same...

Get your cIOS now!

But cIOS doesn't solve the "this channel can't be used" problem. I'm basically answering the "what is cios" question.

For the channel problems, you have to get the correct region for them. Either that, or install Starfall (Only for 3.2 firmware), or use "free the wads"

ples

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afif95 said:
Yea, the system menu stays the same...

Get your cIOS now!

But cIOS doesn't solve the "this channel can't be used" problem. I'm basically answering the "what is cios" question.

For the channel problems, you have to get the correct region for them. Either that, or install Starfall (Only for 3.2 firmware), or use "free the wads"

So, cIOS is different from the firmware version, yes? Do I get cIOS and then somehow install/upgrade to 3.2?

wanders

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Your Wii has a bunch of IOS's installed on it that are used by applications that run on it. The System Menu (your version anyways) uses IOS30, while games will use anything from IOS9 to... IOS38 I suppose. The 'cIOS' installs as IOS249 and doesn't modify any existing IOS. This IOS249 is not called into use by any legit game or application, much less the system menu. Thus installing it should have practically no impact whatsoever on your system.

You can use a program called 'cIOS_Downgrader' to update your system menu to 3.2 once you have installed the cIOS, as mentioned earlier.

ples

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wanders said:
Your Wii has a bunch of IOS's installed on it that are used by applications that run on it. The System Menu (your version anyways) uses IOS30, while games will use anything from IOS9 to... IOS38 I suppose. The 'cIOS' installs as IOS249 and doesn't modify any existing IOS. This IOS249 is not called into use by any legit game or application, much less the system menu. Thus installing it should have practically no impact whatsoever on your system.

You can use a program called 'cIOS_Downgrader' to update your system menu to 3.2 once you have installed the cIOS, as mentioned earlier.

Awesome, very helpful. I got cIOS36_rev7 and the cIOS_Downgrader. I should install them, in that order, using the WAD Manager, yes?. Then I can install Starfall? Would you recommend Starfall or using freethewads?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Arm the Homeless said:
Posting IOS WADs are illegal.

ether, edit it out of your post.
ples, edit it out of your quoted post.

Well, the file seems to be less than 300 KB, i guess it's a installer. IOS wads are 1.7 MB.

wanders

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ples said:
Awesome, very helpful. I got cIOS36_rev7 and the cIOS_Downgrader. I should install them, in that order, using the WAD Manager, yes?. Then I can install Starfall? Would you recommend Starfall or using freethewads?

Uh, it'd probably be better to run them from the Homebrew Channel than trying to mess with wads. I don't even think anyone has ever made a wad for cIOS_Downgrader.

Here's the links you need:
http://www.iol.ie/~taz/backuplauncher0.3_gamma.zip

ples

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I think it worked. I ran the cIOS36_r7 installer from HBC, then ran the cIOS Downgrader from HBC to install 3.2U, then ran Starfall to enable region free WADs. A couple still don't work, but a bunch that didn't use to, seem to work now.
smile.gif

I think that accomplishes pretty much everything I was hoping to. I did accidentally fill the Wii's memory, then booted and it asked me to free up some space. I deleted a bunch of channels but it didn't seem to add free blocks. After a while, it did. I'll start copying channels to my SD card and just run them from that. I did see somewhere that said it's best to uninstall channels from the WAD Manager? How do I uninstall channels whose WADs aren't on the SD card? Or was it talking about a different app?

D

Deleted User

You should have the wads remain on your SD.

And yes, it is very recommended to uninstall WADs via WAD Manager

D

Deleted User

True true....

But well, you can delete them via data management, but the tickets will remain (meaning, some blocks will still be used after deleting).

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
leave the wads on the SD card, but move the homebrew channel/wad manager channels over a couple pages. most people never bother to flip past a page that has empty channels on it
wink.gif

D

Deleted User

Ah well, let's wait for some one who'll eventually release a 100 page for System menu, then, just put the hbc at the 100th page...

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
afif95 said:
Ah well, let's wait for some one who'll eventually release a 100 page for System menu, then, just put the hbc at the 100th page...

Have fun clicking over 100 pages whenever you need to use the HBC...

Best solution: remove the SD card, though I dislike putting in/removing the SD card in the Wii as once you accidentally damage the slot, its all over.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Are you going to bake yourself a cake?