OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi!

I got a European Wii on December 22 2006.

Now I wonder what I should do or NOT do to make it the most promising target for a future hack.

I have just run my games on it and never connected it to the Internet, so it's firmware should be the original european firmware.

Some questions:

1. If I connect it to the net, will it automatically update?

2. Will I NEED to update it to get the Opera Browser?

3. I got a note with my Wii with the message "You can't use a SD-card to save stuff before connecting to the internet". Does this mean I have to update my firmware aswell or is the "connection" enough?

4. Do you suggest getting it connected to the Internet NOW to get the Opera 9.02 with the exploit (and activate my SD-card)?
OR
Wait in hope that my earlier NONUPDATED firmware contains some other bug that's exploitable that they have fixed in a later release?

I'm very much leaning towards connecting the Wii now and update to the current firmware and hope future exploits will work anyway. . . .
Since a hacked save-game wont work anyway until I get the SD-card running. ..
The photochannel works with the SD-card though without having connected to the Internet yet so that's a feasible hack-route.

How have you done / are going to do?

Mvh: Ezel ... Malmoe, Sweden

accolon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1. If I connect it to the net, will it automatically update?

2. Will I NEED to update it to get the Opera Browser?

3. I got a note with my Wii with the message "You can't use a SD-card to save stuff before connecting to the internet". Does this mean I have to update my firmware aswell or is the "connection" enough?

4. Do you suggest getting it connected to the Internet NOW to get the Opera 9.02 with the exploit (and activate my SD-card)?
OR
 Â Wait in hope that my earlier NONUPDATED firmware contains some other bug that's exploitable that they have fixed in a later release?

1. It will ask you to download the update, but you don't have to do it (IIRC). I don't know if you can use things like the Wii Shop Channel if you don't update, though.
2. Like xflash said, you go to the Shop Channel and get it from there, just like a VC game.
3. As soon as you connect, the Wii asks you to download an update, that's what this note means. Without the update, you can't copy VC games and savegames between Wii and SD card.
4. No idea. There might be a bug in the original firmware, so updating would be bad. There might be a bug in the current updated firmware. There might be no bug at all. Nobody knows.

Ezel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok. I've gotten tired of waiting to use the internet so I decided to connect it.

And (after a lot of troubles getting it to connect at all) it finally said something like "Connection successful!" and then the signs came!

First sign "YOUR WII WILL NOW AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE!!!!!" - fuxxors!!!!

I could probably have turned of the console right there but I didn't . . . so now it's updating.

Second sign "Your Wii has burn-in reduction features. . use them in settings" - - So? I thought that wasn't news.

Third sign "You will now recive a channel and system update" - More Updates!

Sigh. . "An error 32004 occured. Unable to update your Wii system." - - Ok? Maybe that's a good thing :-)

Gonna see what has happened now.

Mvh: Ezel ... Malmoe, Sweden

Ezel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The good news: The SD-card save-functionality has been enabled.
And I have been able to transfer the saves to my computer from the SD-cards "\private\wii\"-directories.

The bad news: Still no Opera or possibility to use the other channels.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person