Masoud_5april

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Hi,
I've recently got a brand new switch with 4.1.0 firmware and it is unpatched so I want to use a CFW (like Atmosphere).
I'm not familiar with Nintendo universe, so I have a question. I've been told to create a Nand Backup first before doing anything. I was wondering should I update my switch first (in the normal way with official update method) and then create a backup with Hekate? Or I need to create a backup from current firmware and then update my switch (Can I do it normally?). What is the exact difference between a 4.1.0 or 8.1.0 hacked switch? I also want to test nsp games for the recent games but it seems that there are some ways to play new games on a lower firmware.
I also saw that there is a method called Caffeine which seems doesn't require RCM. Do you recommend using it instead of RCM?

Thanks.

Last edited by Masoud_5april,

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
Lower firmwares like yours i think have a software solution to boot into RCM that is literally the old advantage of older firmware i think.

Do you have a jig to short the pins to get it into RCM mode for the first time?

If it was me, with it being an unpatched Switch... I'd just update officially. Boot to RCM using a jig. Backup NAND, enable autorcm. Create an emunand to use installed NSP games on.

Here is a link to caffeine.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/caffeine-updated-to-support-fw-4-1-0-works-on-patched-switches.541826/

If you don't play online i suppose it would be cool to keep system nand on 4.1.0 and just update your emunand to latest version.

Last edited by Dave_Chad,
Reactions: Masoud_5april

Nononoki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Do NOT update past 4.1.0! Your console won't be able to warmboot if you choose to update officially.

0. Get a big! microSD card. My 400GB is already full.
1. Place required files on sd card (e.g. Kosmos files)
2. Make a backup with Hekate
2.1 (Optional) Setup warmboot with caffeine so you won't need any dongles or cables
3. Create emuMMC
4. Boot to emuMMC
5. Update firmware with ChoiDuJourNX (already in Kosmos package, be sure to check if you're really in emuMMC!). AutoRCM is NOT required or recommended if you choose to warmboot (because it defeats the purpose of warmboot).
6. Have fun :)

Last edited by Nononoki,

Masoud_5april

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Lower firmwares like yours i think have a software solution to boot into RCM that is literally the old advantage of older firmware i think.

Do you have a jig to short the pins to get it into RCM mode for the first time?

If it was me, with it being an unpatched Switch... I'd just update officially. Boot to RCM using a jig. Backup NAND, enable autorcm. Create an emunand to use installed NSP games on.
I can buy a jig, but I was wondering what is the disadvantage of using a software solution to boot into RCM? Sounds cool to me that I don't need a device (like a PC) each time I reboot the switch.

Masoud_5april

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Do NOT update past 4.1.0!...

Thanks, sound awesome to me. Can you explain more about the warmboot, what is the advantage of using it? Is it like AutoRCM? I prefer to not use a jig each time I want to turn on my switch and using AutoRCM would force me to use an external device.

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
Warm boot is the link i gave you. Caffeine allows you to boot into your Switch normally then launch a payload like custom firmware or hekate using an exploit. :)

No jig needed.

Reactions: Masoud_5april

Masoud_5april

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Warm boot is the link i gave you. Caffeine allows you to boot into your Switch normally then launch a payload like custom firmware or hekate using an exploit. :)

No jig needed.
For the backup do I still need the jig to boot into Hekate and create the backup?
As @Nononoki said I need to first create a Nand backup and I need to use Hekate.
Currently, I don't have a jig, so I was wondering is there any way to bypass this.

Masoud_5april

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
OK, after reading a lot of articles, I decided to do the below procedure:
1. Setup SD (128GB) for emuMMC (create a 30GB unallocated partition) with FAT32 format and put Kosmos files inside it.
1. Setup PegaScape and launch Hekate.
2. Create Backup for Nand and Console's Unique Keys.
3. Setup emuMMC in Hekate.
4. Boot into CFW in emuMMC.
5. Update firmware using ChoiDuJourNX.
6. Launching homebrew.

I have some questions here.
a. I've seen in the articles that I need at least one eShop game or a game cartridge to use the homebrew. So when should I download a game from eShop? So it seems that I need to download that game in the first step before doing anything. Can I do that on lower firmware like 4.1.0?

b. For updating the firmware in emuMMC with ChoiDuJourNX, do I need to enable AutoRCM as I currently access the warmboot?

techmob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can you let me know how you go. I am in the same situation.
Early version firmware and wondered if I should take nand backup of that or just update to latest firmware and then nand backup

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you let me know how you go. I am in the same situation.
Early version firmware and wondered if I should take nand backup of that or just update to latest firmware and then nand backup

Keep in mind that I don't think you can create and link a Nintendo account without updating officially to 8.1. Some games will require a linked Nintendo account. No clue how many. There's something called Kefir that spoofs it, never tried it though.

Nononoki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
a. I've seen in the articles that I need at least one eShop game or a game cartridge to use the homebrew. So when should I download a game from eShop? So it seems that I need to download that game in the first step before doing anything. Can I do that on lower firmware like 4.1.0?

b. For updating the firmware in emuMMC with ChoiDuJourNX, do I need to enable AutoRCM as I currently access the warmboot?

a. Never heard of that. It is not recommended to connect to Nintendo servers at all if you want to hack your console.
b. AutoRCM is not needed if you use warmboot.

omfgoodness

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a patched switch on 4.0.1 firmware so I can't update the firmware but newer games are saying my firmware does not support the game.

I have tried one from a cart and there is no way to play it. I have also tried injecting a new game from an nps but tinfoil and goldleaf give errors, about firmware or not able to decrypt.
Is running an emuNAND with a higher firmware the only way to play these games?
Is it possible to just decrypt these nps files are inject them over without using different firmware?

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended