What sequel in a series that went downhill should we look at?

rocky_5000.jpg

Successful works get sequels, and the amount of things that eventually get run into the ground has spawned any amount of phrases (difficult third album, similar things for TV series, books might not land a trilogy, only as good as your last...). This can lead to people abandoning a franchise while the corporate overlords are content to run it into the ground. Occasionally though the money gets low enough, as does the corporate oversight/meddling, that people responsible for making it, which may well be fans of the "good" entries, can turn out something that merits an actual look. Or for those collecting cool kid hipster points then as they got famous is good, before they got famous is better but being a fan after they were famous... there is the good stuff.

For instance Heroes of Might and Magic, while the author of this piece is one of those dangerous subversives that reckons 2 gold is the height of the series rather than 3 then there are those that tell me the latest entries are possibly worth a look, especially with mods. The Tony Hawk games for many went downhill rapidly after 4, however I can safely say that the classic mode of American Wasteland did pretty well actually and naturally many will be quick to point out the recent remake of the earlier titles was very nice, though those looking to get into the series today I will probably point at the THUG pro mod/collation. Or indeed EA's Skate series which was sadly never allowed to be run into the ground like so many other EA franchises; did any of the more recent Call of Duty titles or Need for Speed titles do anything for those that might have dropped out during the PS3/360 era or indeed PS2 era?

This can include games that never saw sequels appear outside a region, in this case the once popular Wizardry series (one of the foundational games/franchises in dungeon crawling RPG) is a rare case of gaming Big in Japan (normally a fate reserved for musicians). It stopped being made in 1992 in the west but has continued on in Japan to this day (titles on the GB, GBC, GBA, DS, PS1, PS2 and PS3 as well as many mobile phone entries) having not really come outside it save for a few spinoffs.

To that end share a pick or two of games in once popular or influential franchises that got run into the ground, however later sequels actually had something worth considering when most dismissed them. If you are going to include a spinoff then try to make it at least vaguely in line with the base games; Summon Night and Summon Night Swordcraft Story are close enough, Street Fighter to Super Puzzle Fighter is pushing it a bit.

Reactions: Mama Looigi

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
State of Emergency was a fun game, but the sequel appears to have been awful.

Wonder why Rockstar never brought back that series or the others. All they care about now is GTA and RDR.

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
imo, final fantasy has really gone downhill, and that used to be one of my favorite series. I don't like how final fantasy xi and final fantasy xiv are called that instead of online and online II or something, plus final fantasy xiii was pretty bad. I haven't played xv, but I did download the royal version from psn, since it's part of the psn plus collection. I just keep hoping that they rekindle how I felt about the earlier games some day. I'm now more into dragon quest and tales.
FFVII is the stopping point for me. The original and the remake are perfection. The rest of the series kinda goes downhill from there.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FFVII is the stopping point for me. The original and the remake are perfection. The rest of the series kinda goes downhill from there.
I bought the ps5 version of the remake for maybe $36, new, so I think that was a good purchase. I haven't started it yet. 21 hours into tales of arise atm.

Reactions: WG481

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Banjo Kazooie has got to be the most notable example. We got a third game that had no place next to the other two, and then nothing. They've basically abandoned the IP at this point.
I've been enjoying it on the series x, but I have no idea where to go after the second world.

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I see Crash Twinsanity being bashed by a lot of people online, but I think it's the most fun Crash game (except for a few bugs).

Reactions: CoolMe

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Halo 5. It was so bad, they don't even want to bother porting it to PC. It was also so bad, it turned Halo into a F2P game.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see Crash Twinsanity being bashed by a lot of people online, but I think it's the most fun Crash game (except for a few bugs).
It's quite good and really enjoyable. The hub areas that you can explore, smash boxes & collect gems are a breath of fresh air to the level-based formula of the previous games, it has great potential, all they need to do is bring some of the iconic villains and throw them in their own hub areas, with their own boss fight at the end after you explore it fully, make the crates count, gem collection unlocks secret areas/levels... Not likely with Activision, let's hope things change with the MS acquisition..
Though it was rushed, it had great variety in the level design.. And of course the soundtrack is excellent!!

Reactions: guisadop

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Twinsanity and Wrath of Cortex were the last good, true Crash games before the series was properly revived again.

The Japanese covers looked really cool too.

Wrath of Cortex

QjDDM7F.jpg

Twinsanity

lKXFHom.jpg

Reactions: guisadop

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dragon quest series doesn't seem to sell as high as their japanese market and remain niche for the rest of the world. Still, the franchise is pretty versatile and has expanded into various genres and not relying entirely to the main entries

Prior22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spyro 4. The first three games were fantastic. But the fourth, which was the first non PlayStation exclusive, was a glitchy rushed mess. Pretty much ruined the credibility of the series.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disappointing sequels? oh metroid other M for sure. but then they picked it back up and it's in great shape now with dread. So even series at low points can be redeemed with the right team.

It's _really_ good. FFVII's remake should be the industry standard for remakes.
eh. it's a great game, but it's a completely different game than the original. it's more of a re-imagining than a re-make. it's nice it came out fun, but it ain't an updated version of the original.

I prefer what they're doing with things like triangle strategy. Squeenix said they might remake the snes final fanatasies in that style of 3d+pixels, which I'm all for.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Three words:

Dino Crisis 3
That is a brave statement to make. What about DC3 merits a second look? Someone did mention a hack to sort the controls/camera was being attempted (a herculean effort if you ask me). I could possibly see some discussion of Dino Stalker if you like lightgun games but redeeming qualities of 3... harder.

Banjo Kazooie has got to be the most notable example. We got a third game that had no place next to the other two, and then nothing. They've basically abandoned the IP at this point.
They did do banjo pilot on the GBA, actually a fairly serviceable kart racer (though I would still pick many others, even on the GBA, over it). I did actually pick up a copy of nuts and bolts a while back to see how it went/as a ? years on but have not got around to it yet.

Reactions: AxlSt00pid

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spyro 4. The first three games were fantastic. But the fourth, which was the first non PlayStation exclusive, was a glitchy rushed mess. Pretty much ruined the credibility of the series.
There's no Spyro 4, just shitty Activision Spyro games.

Now, with Spyro having received a remake treatment, we may get Spyro 4 like we got Crash 4.

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
Disappointing sequels? oh metroid other M for sure. but then they picked it back up and it's in great shape now with dread. So even series at low points can be redeemed with the right team.

eh. it's a great game, but it's a completely different game than the original. it's more of a re-imagining than a re-make. it's nice it came out fun, but it ain't an updated version of the original.

I prefer what they're doing with things like triangle strategy. Squeenix said they might remake the snes final fanatasies in that style of 3d+pixels, which I'm all for.
The base story hasn't really changed too much. It's the game world that looks way different.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr