Hacking What SDHC card should i get?

CoconutCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get an 8GB Transcend Class 6. Only $15 delivered at Newegg.

Plays POR with no freezes, the DOS video smooth as butter and the TWEWY intro with no freezes. Great SDHC card!

gokuguy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the Kingston any good? Because dealextreme has a 4gb TF Micro SDHC Kingston for $9. I know that Kingston worked well in R4, but how bout this?

CoconutCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gokuguy said:
Are the Kingston any good? Because dealextreme has a 4gb TF Micro SDHC Kingston for $9. I know that Kingston worked well in R4, but how bout this?

Fake flash media is rampant in Hong Kong, and it's not smart buying those from DX IMO because you may get a fake.

Besides, why bother with 4GB when you can get 8GB from Newegg for $15 shipped? It's a killer card. Take a look:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208453

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
if you do want 4gb and you live in the states (so you can order from newegg) you can get the class6 transcend for 5.99 (last i looked). i own 3 of the 8gigs now and love them. i also have some kingston 2gb kits which i use often. i read about issues on the kingston sdhc msds but have not owned one. my point is, do a bit of research -- don't just follow this 1 thread.

-another world

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
i dunno if there are any class 6's out there that are crap (afaik the class rating isnt based on random access speed which is what's really important for nds games) but you can also get a-data 8gb class 6 for $15.49 if you're lucky enough to live in the states and therefore able to use bloody newegg (here), and my 4gb a-data class 6 has been great so far. so yeah transcend, a-data, all good. i think.

im sure the kingston are fine as well, just dont treat them like theyre untouchable. theyre not and never have been, its just that in the pre-hc days their rebranded toshiba cards were the best. but about a million other companies rebrand toshiba cards as well (integral, dane-elec, bytestor come to mind) and the taiwanese manufacturers have more than caught up - i dont think toshiba are even making class 6 microsdhc yet.

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bollocks said:
i dunno if there are any class 6's out there that are crap (afaik the class rating isnt based on random access speed which is what's really important for nds games) but you can also get a-data 8gb class 6 for $15.49 if you're lucky enough to live in the states and therefore able to use bloody newegg (here), and my 4gb a-data class 6 has been great so far. so yeah transcend, a-data, all good. i think.

im sure the kingston are fine as well, just dont treat them like theyre untouchable. theyre not and never have been, its just that in the pre-hc days their rebranded toshiba cards were the best. but about a million other companies rebrand toshiba cards as well (integral, dane-elec, bytestor come to mind) and the taiwanese manufacturers have more than caught up - i dont think toshiba are even making class 6 microsdhc yet.

My 2 GB Kingston Japan cards seem able to play POR without lockups, but my 4 GB Kingston Japan can't go 5 minutes without freezing.

I broke down and ordered that 8 GB class 6 Transcend card mentioend above. It'll let me expand for more games and actually give fair room for music.

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
Diosoth said:
My 2 GB Kingston Japan cards seem able to play POR without lockups, but my 4 GB Kingston Japan can't go 5 minutes without freezing.

using the panasonic formatter and akaio 1.3 final (with dma) should fix your problem. have you tried that?

-another world

Panasonic formatter, yes. I'll go back to AKAIO once I get this new card. I can't get Virus DS to run on AKAIO with my current SD card, so I reverted back to official FW.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CoconutCake said:
Get an 8GB Transcend Class 6. Only $15 delivered at Newegg.

Plays POR with no freezes, the DOS video smooth as butter and the TWEWY intro with no freezes. Great SDHC card!

I am going to second this, I bought the same card for £10 and it works fine.

I don't think anything less than class 6 is worth touching, not considering the prices class 6 cards like this are available for!

brand used to be important before SDHC, mostly because the was no way of knowing the quality of a card by any other means, but the new SDHC class system seems quite reliable, at least for measuring speed. that said transcend seems to be a reliable brand

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr