1. emigre

emigre Recovering weeaboo

United States
    It'll hit the 90s on Metacritic (I'll say 96). ANd I'm sure it'll be an excellent game.

2. mikefor20

mikefor20 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    At Gamestop its on the big screen. I played for 3 minutes or so like I said then watched for like another minute. A bunch of kids came in so I let them have the machine. Felt good, looked good. I liked the feel of the hat. It made sense and felt intuitive.

3. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

United States
    The word just gets overused now. Lots of people here calling high-end VR a gimmick too, though obviously nobody wants to elaborate on that.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. Scott-105

Scott-105 Bow to me. Please?

Canada
    I think it will get a lot of perfect scores. I'm getting the game regardless, because Mario games are some of my favorites and this one looks fantastic. I don't know if it will be perfect, but I'll read reviews and play and decide for myself.

I couldn't agree with this more.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  5. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Why would we (those at 3.0.0 or below) be salty? If we want to update we can do so at any time. I'll be playing Mario Odyssey on a friend's Switch. If I couldn't do that I'd wait. If I couldn't wait, I'd update. You are trying to position yourself as one of the "haves". You are actually one of the "have nots." We have the ability to chose. We can wait for homebrew or update to play the latest. You do not have that choice.

6. Xzi

United States
    Rather, we already made that choice. Recent Nindies alone were good enough to update for, let alone Odyssey.

7. wurstpistole

wurstpistole I got 8 warning points

Gambia, The
    I think it will score a perfect 5/7.

8. Emenaria

Emenaria GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Considering Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 got 97, Super Mario 64 got 94, Super Mario 3D World got 93, Super Mario Sunshine got 92 (on metacritic)...
    It'll hit at least 93. Hopefully 95-97.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  9. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Regular

I am more of a nintendo fan that anything else and i would still rate BOTW as a 7/10. People have different views, everybody need to deal with this. Personally i do not get the hype for splatoon too, but other people wet their pants over it.

Looking at what i saw on the trailers, mario is heading for a 9/10 or 10/10. It is quite different as a mario title, it looks and i am sure plays gorgeous and it has that nintendo creativity that we need from nintendo and not just rehashes. Personally i am thrilled and would there not be a possible hack stopping me from updating to play (if even it is 3.1) or tons of current and retro games to play, i would have it on pre-order. For me, THIS is the switch first proper 'killer app'.

Oh, forgot to also say that i think this is the true spiritual successor to Mario 64 my favourite mario of all times. It was the complete freeform exploration that set it apart in my eyes and i can see the same here. It just did not feel the same in sunshine or another one.

10. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.
    Chief Editor

11. Xzi

United States
  12. ItsTheWolf

ItsTheWolf Splatoon 2 Addict

Vietnam
    0, because Mario is no longer a plumber

KingVamp and Xzi like this.
  13. Xzi

United States
    Press A repeatedly to plunge the shit blockage.

14. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

Serbia, Republic of
    images.png

Maybe another case of this?

15. Enryx25

Enryx25 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
  16. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

Canada
    7.5/10 overplayed song and same plot over 10 games too much water

17. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

United Kingdom
    Yeah I can just use homebrew on my 3DS right now, or on my Wii U.. now, or on my PC...now, or on my laptop....now.

Homebrew isn't even out yet on Switch, you don't have anything but a choice, a choice we also had...

We have homebrew and Mario Odysesy, you have a refresh button, enjoy, I'm sure Super Mario World is going to be awesome for 6mins on your Switch when you eventually get it, I'm so jealous.

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Can the OP or someone explain how scores should work? I have tried to figure it out before but never get far before it dissolves into what I considered to be horrible irrational feelings based things.

19. fluffykiwi

fluffykiwi GBAtemp Fan

I'm more hyped about this than ANY Mario game for years. People keep on referring to this as feeling like the true successor to Mario 64, and that is my all time favourite Mario game.

I'm even considering what I've seen so far as enough to justify buying the Switch and I usually need there to be a few more must-have titles before I adopt a new system.
    There are a few other nice games on the Switch, but as I have played the Wii U versions of most of those, there is very little incentive for me to buy those again.

As for reviews, I take most with a pinch of salt. They are so subjective and usually include some sort of bias either for or against Nintendo.

I personally love the mechanics of most 3D Mario games and spent a LOT of time playing them to completion, which justifies a 10/10 for them in my opinion. I will not review without a LONG period of play-time.

My only concerns at the moment are bugs, completion time (i.e. too short) or inconsistent difficulty levels (i.e. too easy or hard).

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    The uncanny valley thing with the human characters vs mario not a problem for you?
    Thus far I have only seen the promo cgi video they had at the switch event but watching it at the end of that I kept having that Sonic game pop into my head. That said a get a vague unease from the city levels of mario kart so eh.
    Could be worse too, could be thinking of that live action mario film.

21. Risingdawn

Risingdawn Tempallica

United Kingdom
    Can't be worse than that frekin Saturday morning Mario Cartoon...

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - odyssey, score, mario