What RPG series span several consoles and are loved?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Fel, Jun 29, 2010.

Jun 29, 2010
  1. Fel
    OP

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    I'm doing a fun lecture at a convention, and I can't think up right now of any other RPG series which stand out, are available on various consoles and are dearly loved, like Castlevania or Kingdom Hearts. Can you suggest any? Except for Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest (and Fire Emblem)?

2. XLarge

Member XLarge GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    don't forget the elder scrolls series;)

3. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Possibly the Mana series.

4. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    The Tales of series.
    Suikoden series.

Most rpgs are either one off, or console exclusive.
    Would you count pokemon? Its on various nintendo consoles.

5. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    Well, I was thinking of something more...different than Elder Scrolls, what came out on more platforms. I personally love the series, but they just don't fit. But thanks for the suggestion! [​IMG]

Ah, the Seiken Densetsu, yes, that's loved by lots of people and it did come out on various platforms. Thanks for the tip, if I find nothing else, then perhaps I'll use it, but it just seems too much cutish and I'm not sure if people would enjoy that. It made me remember the Shin Megami Tensei series, but I never want to play those, they seem too cold. [​IMG]

EDIT: I would count Pokémon, the thing is that I probably wouldn't be able to pass it off...But at a second thought, that's actually a great idea! If I used instead of the typical Pokémon games the others ones, like where you photograph Pkmn, are a Ranger and so forth. But, I think it'd be best if I used something else. I was just thinking of Suikoden, and I've completely forgotten about The Tales. [​IMG] I've never played any, except for few minutes the GBA version, how good are they? [​IMG]

6. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I personally love the Tales series, its a lot like Final Fantasy, where every game is different and unique. Nice anime style too.

7. tester28

Newcomer tester28 Member

United Kingdom
    how about Phantasy star ?

8. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Star Ocean?

9. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    I've never played those two, except for few minutes the Phantasy Star Collection on the GBA, which looked like a really old RPG.

What makes those games so special for you? I'm interested in the why's, so I can convey that feeling. [​IMG]

10. tester28

Newcomer tester28 Member

United Kingdom
    well phantasy star 1,2 ,3 and 4 (all on the sega mega drive/genesis) were some of the first games i ever played, the game play its self is similar to final fantasy in the original 4 but in phantasy star online (sega dreamcast and later pc) went more into an action rpg all were great games but were trumped by phantasy star universe a true gaming masterpiece expanding on from the idea of phantasy star online (pc, Xbox 360, ps2) it turned the game and the series in to a world wide known RPG game series. the series is continuing to this date with its portable versions phantasy star zero (NDS) and phantasy star portable 1&2 (psp) both with similar gameplay to phantasy star universe.

Note: ALL Phantasy star games past 4 are MMO.

11. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    How about EarthBound?

12. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Harvest Moon (but it's not a real fully RPG)
    SaGa (Games boy, Snes, PSX, PS2, DS)
    Front Mission (Snes, PSX, PS2, DS)
    Nippon Ichi software's games (Atelier and Disgaea mostly)
    Valkyrie Profile (PS1/PS2/DS)

Starting which number of console you consider it to be "several" ?
    there are Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain (but only 2 consoles, PS1/PS2)
    Wild arms (PS1/PS2)
    and many more on only 2 consoles span
    Then it all depends of the players and it's taste to decide if it's a loved series.

I think there are a lot of games which are considered "very good series" but their popularity is only based on their names because they are only in japanese, or hard to find.
    For example, SaGa, it's a great series but I'm sure very few people already played it since the gameboy era. The Gameboy's SaGa 2 had a remake on DS for people to start with the series ! the Snes Saga episodes were awesome too.

13. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    The Tales series is all that comes to mind (without reading other posts).

14. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Castlevania games are RPGs now?

15. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    To people who have very loose definitions on what an RPG is... Yes, Castlevania is indeed an RPG. So is Halo, God of War, and Need for Speed

16. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    Castlevania is an RPG because you gain experience by killing monsters which improves your stats, find armor and weapons which improve your stats, and find or gain spells/souls/how special abilities are called in this game (not in the first few games) which you cast for MP, and can customize in later games. And this does fulfill the RPG criteria, maybe not the first few games, but definitively the last ones (like on GBA and DS, and I bet there are ones on the PS2, like Curse of Darkness). It's just an action-RPG, think of it as Kingdom Hearts in 2-D with less story and more killing. As for the other three games, Halo is just a shooter, it's a natural part of shooters to find better weapons, you don't have any kind of stats, levels, or anything, except maybe accomplishments (how many aliens you shot etc.), so it's not an RPG. Check out Fallout 3 if you want to see how does an RPG with real-time shooting looks like. Again, it's natural for driving games to be able to customize your car and increase it's speed and so on with various parts. And God of War could be considered RPG because you can customize your fighting abilities and have different character builds, but that's much more less an RPG than Castlevania, because there you don't gain exp, have stats, or find new armor/weapons, but only improve your abilities by gaining orbs, which is not much.

To everyone: Wow, thanks for the output, I think I'm gonna try and see if how much time will those two series (KH plus Castlevania) take up, and if there's time left, which there probably should be, I'm most likely to go and put in the Tales series.

17. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Yeah, I'm sure Tales series is your best choice.
    It's the one with the most episodes and consoles so far ^^

You will have a lot of thing to say with them (like game name changing when localizing [​IMG] US Destiny 2 =/= JP Destiny 2)

18. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I dare say most of the games I will mention have only at best had loose sequels in the last 10 years if not longer but you will probably be able to find several people that will gush about them.
    Similarly stagnation often leads to the death of a franchise so different genre spinoffs are very much to be expected.

The "shining" series probably also counts here although that is very much a franchise rather than a series (whole bunch of genres encompassed in that one).

@OP get yourself a copy of phantasy star 4 and have a go with that. In my mind it is probably still one of the best "traditional" JRPGs around. Good story combined with a deep and very varied weapons and fighting mechanics as just two ways I would describe it.

While I am on this line of thought Wizardry is also worth a look in and although they are arguably the precursor to Elder Scrolls the might and magic series.
    As a quick list- Ultima, lufia,Ys, technically Fushigi no Dungeon (mystery dungeon) counts here, Summon Night, megaman battle network,Mana/Seiken Densetsu, Breath of Fire and Megami Tensei to name but a few that pop into my head.

This is also to say nothing of developers/teams/groups as they will often make "spiritual sequels" or many well liked games of a given genre (or set of characteristics/features)- for many following a developer is as important as following a franchise even more so if the franchise gets passed around between multiple developers by a publisher.

Also what about the likes of the Forgotten Realms/dungeon and dragons games (a large number of developers and publishers have tried their hand at this one)- such a basis will take pride of place in the blurb for a game and equally be responsible for a large amount of players.