What rechargeable batteries should I buy?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Jakob95, Sep 17, 2011.

Sep 17, 2011
  1. Jakob95
    OP

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States

2. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've been using the Duracells for quite a while now and they work great.

3. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    I still am not sure if that Nyko comes with 2 pairs of batteries. Because I have 2 controllers.

How long do they last? And for how long did you have? I heard they die fast.

4. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    There are 2 different kinds of Nimh batteries, the good ones and the really really really bad ones. You can identify the good ones, if they are supposed to have 80%(or more) capacity when lying around for a year, the others are at 50% or less after 2 weeks. Mostly the good ones come pre charged, while the bad ones have the higher numbers. If you buy charger and batteries together, the charger should be compatible with those, if you buy them seperately, i can't tell if a charger is going to be compatible.

PS: One major difference between both types is that you are almost never able to use all stored capacity of the bad ones. Did you ever have rechargable batteries in a camera? If the batteries allowed much less than 50 pictures, you got the bad ones.

5. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    Um ok. So which of those 3 should I buy?

6. WiiPower

Germany
    I don't like to recommend a certain brand. I use kinda noname Nimh batteries myself, and i am very happy, working great for my wii motes, mouse, digi cam etc. Just make sure you get the good ones, if the description doesn't allow to tell which kind it is, it's most likely the bad one.

7. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    I was just wondering is there a huge difference between the Nyko and the Duracell?

8. WiiPower

Germany
    To me personally, there's a huge difference, one is bound to the Wii alone, the other can be used for anything. Do you use AA batteries for anything else? I have 2 AA batteries more than i need, when 2 are empty, they go in the charger, and the 2 from the drawer go into the wii mote, mouse or whatever. Also, i can't see where the Nyko says something that makes you think it's the good kind of batteries.

Anyways, buy the ones you are the most comfortable with. If you only need batteries for the Wii, then the Nyko wouldn't be a bad choice, even with the bad batteries, because they would always be charged anyways.

9. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Nyko if you want convenience of dropping them in to charge. But rechargeable AA if you are not lazy and forgetful to charge them manually (I would get a second set of batteries). Rechargable batteries wear down after many recharges, and I find it easier and cheaper buying AA rechargeable than the nonstandard 3rd party batteries.

WiiPower is referring to Low Self-Discharge (LSD) batteries which are great batteries usually labeled as pre-charged, and they keep their charge much better than older ones. sanyo eneloop, sony cycle, duracell precharged, rayocac platinum/hybrid, gp recyko, amazon basic to name a few

Nyko's batteries have been somewhat ok from my experience, their Xbox ones are dieing out on me and it is a pain in the ass to find those old battery shell to put in standard AA.

Edit: Grammer

10. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    Yeah but it seems like the Nyko was reviewed a lot and it says they last 25 hours or so. I am not sure how long those regular Duracell/Energizer batteries last for.

11. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    Ok I guess I am buying the Duracell unless someone objects, within 2 minutes.

12. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Buy the Duracell: I've had mine for a year and they're still holding a charge like a champ and they last much *much* longer than the no name brand I was using for the years preceding them.

13. Dermy

Member Dermy GBAtemp Fan

United States
  14. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    get the imedion they last long and no discharge.

15. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    i use energizers, with the recharging mat. [​IMG]

16. Jakob95
    OP

United States
  17. Red_Gh0st

Member Red_Gh0st GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I use NYKO rechargeable batteries with the charging station they come with; they work great

18. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    Ehh now I wish I bought that instead. I think that would last me longer. Seems better.

19. DroRox

Member DroRox Ambassador of Ooo

United States
    I had a Nyko set and eventually they stopped working at their max potential.
    Now I have something else... can't recall the name... it's a black base and the battery comes attached to a battery cover so putting it is easy and it never has problems connecting to the charger base. The nyko one sometimes stopped charging if moved slightly -_____-.

Well it doesn't say the name anywhere on the devicce but the logo looks like a gray fish facing right...
    kinda like this.

[​IMG]

Well anyways. It lasts hours and is wonderfully awesome! [​IMG]

20. Arch Feline

Member Arch Feline GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got mine through Amazon but I ordered Sanyo Ni-MH battery charger with 4 AA. I have had it since Winter. I am happy with both the batteries and the charger.