What program can copy RAID 0 to a partition?

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a RAID 0 that i want to copy to my new HDD. The RAID 0 is 2x200GB and the partition is 401GB. Is there a software solution to transfer the data from my RAID 0 to my new HDD without going into Windows. Hard Drive Clone Professional evidently doesn't support RAID 0. It might be helpful to know that its a hardware RAID 0, i think, NVIDIA something something. Sorry I can't clarify, but I don't even know if it's relevant. :S Please help me. Me = PISSED for spending money on something that doesn't fufill my requirements. Smart shopper, indeed!

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A bootable version of linux might be able to do it depending on your RAID 0 controller. Your primary issue is finding a program that will have drivers to support the controller.

If you are unable to find anything else, and linux is a feasible option, you'll need to read up on using dd. It is command line driven and not exactly user friendly (I've never personally needed to do anything like this, so you'd be on your own if you decide to try this out).

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
no i just felt like randomly typing words as a reply and somehow managed to give the name of the only partition management software worth using
LOL! I asked just in case because I went on Systemac's (w/e) site and i saw nothing under 'features' with RAID 0 in it, and I wanted to check if it would have drivers for my RAID controller (thanks lukeage, I couldn't think of that if my life depended on it) Nvidia NF4. But i guess I'll just download it and go. (I need to soon, I went to delete stuff from my recycle bin and it said that the recycle bin got corrupted (HOW?) and i fear it may spread through my drive.

Rocco Savadgie

Trophies
XP
Country
acronis true image will do that for you. If it's a bootable raid0 you will need to manually edit the boot.ini file (for xp) or get the universal restore plugin for acronis and have it automatically fix everything up.

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, pikachucrackpipe, now i'm thinking you did randomly type words as a reply.

Straight from the readme:
QUOTE said:
4. KNOWN ISSUES - WINDOWS NT/2000/XP ONLY
-----------------------------------------

- PartitionMagic does not support volume sets, stripe sets, stripe
 sets with parity, or partitions located on disk mirror/duplex
 sets configured using Windows NT Disk Administrator. Under
 Windows 2000/XP, PartitionMagic supports standard partitions
 located on basic disk sets only.

so its NOT going to help me. Now I'm going to see how Paragon Hard Disk Manager works, and if not, I'll see about Acronis True Image.

mcp2

Trophies
XP
Country
Bootable Norton Ghost. Or you can make an image in Windows using Acronis True Image and split it into DVD size, you'd end up with over 90 DVD's but, well, it's worth a try. Maybe not.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think you need to clarify whether this is a software (driver/windows) raid0 or a hardware (raid adapter/the OS only sees 1 drive) raid.

Then you could get help
smile.gif

Edit:

On one hand, the hardware raid doesn't require anything. It should be no problem just ghosting/imaging it over. With software raid, you're SOL. Backup, reinstall, copy data.

Edit again:

It seems I typed faster than I read
shy.gif
- you refer to hardware raid; yet everything I can find regarding Nvidia and raid refers to software raid. So you have to tell us which chipset is used. On the other hand, if you installed a 'raid driver' it's software raid anyway.

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UBCD4Win will do the trick. you'll have to configure it use your RAID drivers. by the way, NVRAID is software RAID, not hardware. once you create your CD and boot to the disc, just use one of the disk cloning utilities that comes with it. if you like, you can get a UBCD4Win plugin that with let you use Norton Ghost, which may be more reliable. check out UBCD4Win's forums for details on how to get your drivers working with it.

pikachucrackpipe

President
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok, pikachucrackpipe, now i'm thinking you did randomly type words as a reply.

Straight from the readme:
QUOTE said:
4. KNOWN ISSUES - WINDOWS NT/2000/XP ONLY
-----------------------------------------

- PartitionMagic does not support volume sets, stripe sets, stripe
 sets with parity, or partitions located on disk mirror/duplex
 sets configured using Windows NT Disk Administrator. Under
 Windows 2000/XP, PartitionMagic supports standard partitions
 located on basic disk sets only.

so its NOT going to help me. Now I'm going to see how Paragon Hard Disk Manager works, and if not, I'll see about Acronis True Image.

yowza!
my mistake... sorry
wtf.gif

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Np because I didn't buy it this time. Demonoid is a wonderful place, especially when you have a good ratio
smile.gif
Now that it's at 1.2, I'll leech again
smile.gif

pikachucrackpipe

President
Trophies
Website
live.xbox.com
XP
Country
United States
based on this paragraph
QUOTE said:
It will not try to "fix" your RAID. It will merely create a copy of your RAID at another location. It will collect sector by sector from each single drive involved and write these sectors in the correct order to the designated destination. This process is also called "de-striping".
I'd say you got nothing to lose

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd say that too... I just hope it works on my dad's computer. (its a crappy computer, we bought a PCI SATA card a long time ago, it doesn't support RAID, but has 2 SATA ports. I hope that i can use that with this program.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)