Question What preventive measure does GBAtemp do to avoid spam?

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by nxwing, Apr 14, 2015.

1. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    If you like to lurk around the forums like me, you will notice that there's an increasing amount of spam especially around the Introductions area. One example is this.

Now I want to know, does GBAtemp do anything to avoid these spam/spambots? I fear that one day, GBAtemp may be shrouded in spam and there might be too many that even the staff should have a hard time what they do with the spam. I can't remember what I filled out furing the registration but maybe there should be at least 2 Captchas to prevent spambots from entering?

What happens to these spambots/spammers? Do they just simply get banned or do their IP's get banned or blocked?

2. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    More often than not, forum procedure on most sites is to not only ban the bots themselves to prevent further posings, but IPs usually get banned too, although blocking isn't unheard of. I'd presume GBAtemp does the same things, since what purpose would the bots, or their IPs serve otherwise?

3. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    I have been noticing more spam on GBAtemp in the last 2 weeks then before.

4. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Captcha wouldn't help because those are usually real people opening accounts and copy-pasting spam.

The procedure with spammers is to ban the account and block the IP, and I think at one point they blocked the whole of China. Not much else you can do. We could include some sort of content-sensitive spam filter but that would wipe out a lot of the legitimate posts too. Report spam, don't bump spam, and if it gets worse we'll think of something.

Margen67 and nxwing like this.
  5. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    gbatemp also uses a universal blacklist that is used across several forums to prevent spam..

i don't remember the name.. i know that, if a ip is blacklisted on that third party website\service, gbatemp automatically blocks it too.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    I haven't been noticing anymore spam lately. In fact, I think I've been seeing less spam this past month or two than in months prior.

Margen67 likes this.
  7. tj_cool

tj_cool Site dev

Supervisor
    Jan 7, 2009
    Belgium
    This planet
    You probably mean StopForumSpam.
    That's just one of the multiple anti-spam stuff we have in place, though. We have multiple scripts in place on the forum and the wiki to keep them out.

Basically for every spammer you see, a few dozen more will have failed. There's over 100 spammers blocked each day by StopForumSpam alone.

Margen67 and migles like this.
  8. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    I was actually black listed once on here by SFS despite doing nothing wrong due to issues with the IP (was using it out of state).

9. nxwing
    OP

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Welp. I usually only see spam at the introductions but I just saw one at the USN.

Margen67 likes this.
  10. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Spam ends up anywhere it can be. I've seen it in USN, general discussions, introductions, game system subsections, pretty much everywhere. It isn't as if spam is restricted to a single section. Spammers do what spammers do.

Margen67 likes this.