What prevented Star Fox 64 3D online mode?

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
star-fox-64-3d-20110818005859306_640w.jpg

In an interview with Official Nintendo Magazine, the man in charge of co-ordinating game development between Q-Games and Nintendo told fawhy the fun multiplayer mode is not playable online.

"Personally, I play a lot of online FPS games," began Amano. "This leads me to think that just making multiplayer parts of existing games playable online isn't enough to create a satisfying experience for users. The popular online games work in lots of things, so they play well online - and if we wanted to satisfy everyone who bought the game, the costs required for including online support would be vast."

Yet it wasn't just a matter of cost. There was also a time issue and the developers decided to prioritise the 3D visuals over online play.

"For this project what we needed to do was use Star Fox to provide users with a game that shows the appeal of Nintendo 3DS as quickly as possible. We put a lot of effort into the graphics, and if we had included online support then we couldn't have reached this level in the time allowed."

Having said that, Amano wouldn't rule out the possibility of online play in a future Star Fox game. "We didn't cut any corners for the multiplayer mode in this game. We did lots of experimentation for the normal wireless local multiplayer and included lots of new features. Working on the multiplayer part was a nice, satisfying challenge, and if I get the chance to work on another Star Fox title, I would definitely consider an online multiplayer mode."

Star Fox 64 3D is still a brilliant game without the multiplayer mode. Read our Star Fox 64 3D review to find out why.

You can read the full interview with Yusuke Amano in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine which goes on sale tomorrow[/p]

Really? Nintendo I'd have brought Star Fox if you'd included online and I wouldn't have minded waiting a bit longer for a perfect game.

Source

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The reason isn't that much a surprise, but they could have made the online content available. But I don't really mind playing co-op/multiplayer with friends, but sometimes it's a bother to go over to some's place to play..

-Qtis

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My best bet would be trollface penis camera.
tpi.gif

But seriously IMO, I think they decided to throw in the camera gimmick because they didn't plan to go online with this game.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Only excuses! This game should have had online play. I seriously coudn't believe it when Nintendo announced that there won't be any online functionality.

chemistryfreak

Trophies
XP
Country
I think that the most important factor is to prevent people from abusing the real time camera function during multiplayer mode. They wouldn't want to receive complains about online player showing obscene stuff through the real time camera function. But I personally think that they can actually restrict the function only to those whom you have added to your friend List or disabling the camera function when playing worldwide online instead of completely removing the online mode. The real time camera function during multiplayer mode is really a cool idea but who would want to see their friends on the screen when they are sitting right beside them...

Aijelsop

Question Asker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chemistryfreak said:
I think that the most important factor is to prevent people from abusing the real time camera function during multiplayer mode. They wouldn't want to receive complains about online player showing obscene stuff through the real time camera function. But I personally think that they can actually restrict the function only to those whom you have added to your friend List or disabling the camera function when playing worldwide online instead of completely removing the online mode. The real time camera function during multiplayer mode is really a cool idea but who would want to see their friends on the screen when they are sitting right beside them...

this

heartgold

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chemistryfreak said:
They don't have to include real time camera action into online, voice chat is just fine. Besides Nintendo's major IP Pokemon black/white supports WiFi video chat in some way. I don't it has nothing to do with the camera lol

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The camera thing made zero sense to me from the beginning for that same reason, when they first showcased it I thought "oh man thats gotta mean wifi!" Its a cool feature, and the fact that you only need one card for full multiplayer is pretty boss, but it's unnecessary for local wireless

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought it anyway (cause I love starfox plus iirc there were talks being thrown around about the next starfox game existing depending on how well this one does) and it strikes me as... easier than its predecessor

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've nothing against a retail release but there should have been a lot more content added and multiplayer would have been a big reason to why it is worthy of a retail release. Some other content like stages of design, interviews, things they left out etc.

I've noticed this game has failed to be a big seller and Nintendo would probably use that to not release a new Starfox game.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i know this is off topic but why is there a battery indicator under falco's face
laugh.gif

on topic, it does look good and i am disappointed that i cant go online with it, cause i dont play locally with my friends.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't get WHY its so hard to have online functionality on nintendo systems. Developing an online mode, in theory, shouldn't be any more difficult than making local multiplayer. If nintendo is not providing the proper tools to developers, then they need to seriously get off their ass and make online support a priority.

gumgod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was planning on buying this game, and may still. But for some reason I just assumed online play was included. I thought that was what the whole multiplayer thing with the faces was all about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol