What popular influence shaped your moral compass?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by osaka35, Nov 14, 2016.

1. osaka35
    OP

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    What are some of the popular influences that guide your moral compass growing up? What shows, books, songs, etc, shaped your moral compass?

For me, it was sci-fi shows like babylon 5 and star trek: next generation and deep space 9. The christian dren I grew up with only made me scared to question what I was told, for fear I would burn. scifi broke that cycle, and helped me understand the importance of questioning current beliefs.
    Here's an example of the type of quotes that guided my moral compass (and please share yours):

Last edited by osaka35, Nov 14, 2016
    Vulpes Abnocto likes this.
  2. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    I build up myself based on morals i myself made ^^
    my model is the person i wil be in the future or the one i want to be

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    To quote a popular song, though one released way after I had formed things.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Try not to hurt anybody else with your actions, unless they instigated it. Don't think that is from a popular influence but is what I had.

Anything is open to question, though try to make sure it is an appropriate time to do so. Also leads to a favourite teaching method of "until you can argue otherwise then do it this way".

So basically nothing. Though

Megatron must indeed be stopped.

4. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Full Metal Alchemist: “You cant gain something, without giving something in return” One of the reasons why I have a FMA tattoo on my ankle. (The homoculus symbol, minus the Star of David design.)

Star Wars (Extended Canon): weirdly enough, I agree with both the Jedi and the Sith code of conduct. The Sith speak of using emotions to gain strength and through strength, gaining power and then freeing yourself from chains. The Jedi are a bit more "hippy"/"spiritual" than the Sith, but they speak of the force binding people/nature together and nothing exists but the Force. But both have a degree of sensibility to them. (Although, as I said to a friend, I'd probably be a "grey jedi"/"lawful evil?", because

Star Trek/Babylon 5: Exploration and space diplomacy, coupled with very cool characters. (No, I don't like Sisko, because DS9 turned a series about exploring new planets/space into extreme space diplomacy...although Quark was one of my favourite characters.) Meeting Data/Brent Spiner in a Q&A made me chuckle - everything about Star Trek was about "being nice to Data, don't be racist to aliens, and don't underestimate the power of teamwork". Pretty much that....which is kind of crazy because the world is kind of dark right now. Also, like OP said - I learned to question how/why people did things like they did because of Star Trek.

5. Vulpes Abnocto

Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States
    "First, make sure you're right.
    Then, go ahead."

~Davy Crockett

Costello likes this.
  6. vinipeix

vinipeix GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2015
    Brazil
    The show that influenced me the most was Castelo Ra Tim Bum, it is a pretty popular show here in Brazil which tells the story of a 300 year old boy who lives in a magical castle within São Paulo and lures some kids to it, so he can have some friends.
    To this day I like it a lot!

And the book that made me like them was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, before that I've just read the ones I was obligated to do so in school. I was 10 at the time, and I believed it helped me build some good moral. I've related a lot to Harry, since I didn't had many friends at that time.

English is my second language (as you can see) and I've learnt it by myself with the help of some gaemz, mostly jrpgs. This made them even more special to me. The first game that I've understood it's history was Kingdom Hearts (2002, pretty late huh), before that I played things blindly.
    KH's history values friendship and people like no other game I've seen, and that also changed me a bit.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Back to the Future
    It was the first "sci-fi" movie I cared about, and this genre, like OP said, made me question many things about life in general.

Last edited by vinipeix, Nov 14, 2016
  7. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I don't think addictions are a "popular influence"...

I'll just keep me mouth shut.

8. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
    Sex, Drugs & Gaming.

9. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA
    "Never be cruel, and never be cowardly, and if you are, always make amends." The 12th Doctor

vinipeix likes this.
  10. el_gonz87

el_gonz87 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2016
    United States
    That is all.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  11. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I've never really used anything beyond "don't be a massive asshole" for my "moral compass" IRL.

But there is a quote from The Last Wish (from the Witcher book series) that I quite like:

lcie nimbus likes this.
  12. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    GTA was a huge influence and now I am a violent rapist, murderer, and thief. Video Games are evil and did this to me.

SomecallmeBerto likes this.
  13. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    the TMNT equivalent to the "sonic sez" shit raised me

14. FrozenDragon150

FrozenDragon150 Notorious Coffee Drinker

Nov 6, 2014
    Venezuela
    None :(

#Sociopath

15. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    You should ask for your money back if you are unsatisfied with your results. Then use it for therapy. :P

Video gaames, and anime.

Yes, video games, metal gear series, Breath of fire series, Tales series, street fighter, there is a lot. While many don't agree i do admit some games teach very little about real life, as unrealisticly fictional the story/events are but there is quite a lot that is based on actual culture in real life, from religion, to belief in wisdom, gods, deity, other worlds, super natural things, ghost, to just plain common related stuff. Of course you have to understand what goes on in the games to get the moral.

Don't read if you don't want spoiler for your games.

Anyway you get the idea, i may not directly get the moral compass thing but i just wanted to point out a few things, the idea was accmulative, as you continue to play more and more games to gather all the different things into one general idea. But yeah, games do more than just entertain people with mindless violence like parents think, they do have a aspect of sharing things that can be acknowledge in real life.

osaka35 likes this.
  16. osaka35
    OP

osaka35 Instrucional Designer

Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    For sure! I can definitely pinpoint particular lessons learned from video games and anime. Not new ideas, just my first exposure to them. Kingdom hearts: chain of memories, for example, gave me that our memories have no inherent meaning, and only through our action of giving them meaning do they matter in the slightest.

17. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    2 things.... video games .and my dad

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I remember that one

18. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    I always listened to "Benjamin Blümchen" stories ...i i guess they shaped me a little and even though I never wanted this to happen I have some characteristics from my dad

Anything else was always me as I hardly ever did something as the "normal" people would do.

19. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    i base my moral on the one principe: if you don't like somthing to be happening to yourself, don't try it on someone else... if you make a joke about someone else or a groupp in general, always be ready to get one back and always check if it didn't hurt him or her. help others but don't loose yourself doing so... Don't ever fix what isn't broken to begin with!

20. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I also said anime, as it seems many of the things i learn is from japanese media, even though is probably not faithtul due to localization but still it holds moral value. Lots of things here is not really for teaching just entertaining people and pulling their emotions around. Besides most shows now and days are like hour long and i don't watch them. Used to be cartoons that were like 3-7 minutes and have like 3 episodes in only 30 minutes with commercials, then last like 11 minutes with ads up to half hour, they put 2 with in the programming block, now like every prime time show on major networks is hour long a episode. Only very few i watch, and again not very serious about learning something.