What patcher to use before patching with NDStation

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by Sinkhead, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Sinkhead
    OP

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    What patcher should I use on my GBA ROMs before I patch them with NDStation? I think it is to make them save properly. I have been told GBATA by some people and EZ4 Client by others. Also, when I load a new game using NDStation will it automatically back up my save file from the old game?

Thanks
    - Sam

2. betawind

Member betawind GBAtemp Regular

United States
    From what I've heard, using the EZ4 Client to SRAM patch your games can cause lost saves. I don't know the details on it, because I use GBATA without any issues.

Regarding NDStation, yes it will.

3. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    GBATA seems like to be the program for me at the moment. I'll be the judge when I actually get my expansion pack in the mail. Once NDStation (the one after 1.1) comes out for dev-fr, there should be some improvements like fix in the corrupt gbaframe from first-time launch of the prepared nds file.

I'm getting one of these things (the HK post is slow, so soon) and I'm baffled by the lack of centralization. So I initiated a wiki on the 3 in 1 expansion pack. This page will be general information about the expansion pack. I'm hoping to make a separate guide of some sort that will consolidate all of the information that we find on all the forums. Join in if you feel like it. Otherwise I'm all by myself. Time to put on my pirate hat.

EDIT: wish me luck. [​IMG]

4. Talaria

Member Talaria ...

New Zealand
    Do you have to do anything to the rom before SRAM patching it? Just wondering as I select a rom and then i go to the SRAM Patch Tab and I can't patch it as the patch is shaded (As in i need to fill some requirement before i can press it)

5. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    thaigrocer: something for your wiki maybe?

Talaria: Check to see if the ROM you are trying to patch isn't already using SRAM. Anything already using up to 64KiB (512kbit) SRAM to begin with shouldn't need to be patched at all. Stuff that uses EEPROM or FLASH, and/or has over 512kbit will need to be patched (I'm told that 1024kbit has to be done with EZ4 client since gbata has no idea what the EZ's SRAM bankswitching is like and thus cannot access anything past 512kbit).

I have always used EZ4 client, everything I have tested has saved so far (and I took a sampling of all save types to test with initially), though my testing was mainly to get stuff working and see if gbaldr would act responsibly, wrather than see if the patches will work under longer term playing conditions.

6. betawind

United States
    Thank you for doing this! I had no idea that we could openly add new sections to the gbatemp wiki (well more so didn't know how to). I had been batting this idea around in my head for the last few days. I've taken the liberty of adding a few articles to get started, and will be writing more as I have the time and ambition. I would love to see the information get centralized.

~Beta

7. Zombie_Mario

Member Zombie_Mario GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Let me see if I got this right...

I downloaded GBATA as my patcher/trimmer. Some roms can be patched while others can't. The ones that can't be patched are SRAM. Does that mean I don't have to patch it with EZ4 Client?

Sorry for the question.

8. betawind

United States
    If the patch button is grayed out they don't need to be patched.

9. Zombie_Mario

Member Zombie_Mario GBAtemp Fan

United States
  10. betawind

United States
    As always, happy to help! [​IMG]

11. leetdude_007

United States
    Ding! Dong! Come one, come all! Contribute to the 3 in 1 Expansion Pack for the EZ-Flash V GBAtemp Wiki!

An anonymous user already added a bunch of information, and I have already started doing general information about the EZ-Flash V. I added some pictures and consolidated some articles. If anybody can add additional information about the 3 in 1 expansion pack, please do not hesitate to jump in. I don't mind grammar issues or messiness, as long as the content is coherent enough for another person (like me) to edit later. BUT if you're competent enough to make information consistent in style and grammar, then please do so! Don't forget to contribute the discussion sections of the articles involved. Some things I can think of that are lacking:
    If I can recall correctly, you have to register a separate account for the GBAtemp Wiki if you would like to be neat and tidy. It's a simple process, really, just like Wikipedia. If you have any time, read the guide on how to conduct yourselves in the Wiki, technically or otherwise. (Please suggest that I should make a new topic if it seems necessary. At the moment, I don't know if I should.) EDIT: *Inspired by a lot of Johnny Cash music*

12. leetdude_007

United States
    (sorry for the double post)

Thanks. I'll add that in if it's not already there. Jump into the wiki article if you like. Anyone armed with new and accurate information is welcomed. EDIT: So I added this info to the FAQ related article, but I have a feeling that needs restructuring later.

I just got mine in the mail yesterday and tested out GBATA. I batch trimmed the roms with PogoToolz 1.1 and used GBATA SRAM patch for any ROM that GBATA let me patch (patch button available in the program). Otherwise, the unpatched files worked. Hell, all of the files worked! I finally renamed the files using ARen 2.0, but I don't think that would affect the actual data itself. I'm actually using Rudolph's tool at the moment, but I will try out NDStation when v1.2 comes out with the frame fix. Chuckstudios said it should come out before august 20, if I can recall.

I get a mysterious intermittent error that I did not note down. It was something along the lines of "SAV not found, delete save. Confirm (A)". Maybe I'm wrong? I got this after adding a custom gbaframe.bmp and once with 2 in 1 doctor mario. I'll have to look into it when it pops up again. I suspect many possible causes and consequences, but I'll keep them to myself for now.