What part needs to be fixed on my 3ds?? Plz Help

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Mint Pepper, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Mint Pepper
    OP

Mint Pepper Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2014
    United States
    Hi everyone. I opened up my 3ds XL with the plan to fix the d-pad, It all went well until I assembled everything back and found out it wouldn't turn on. The blue led lights up and the screens turn on, but only maintain a static black screen. I then opened it up again to reassure everything was plugged in correctly and, unfortunately, it was.

I'm assuming I damaged a part during this, but I want to know what exactly. I'm thinking it might be the top screen because of a difficulty I had connecting the ribbon cable. Does anyone know that if the ribbon cable is damaged, will both the top screen and the lower touchscreen show a static black screen? Of course I don't know if it's that screen at all, but I'm hoping something can be figured out with it showing these symptoms. I'm really trying to figure this out as I've put quite some money in it and I know Nintendo can't repair something that's my own fault. Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

2. perrochiba

perrochiba Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2015
    United States
    Try entering recovery mode, turning on the Nintendo 3DS while holding A+R+L+Up(DPad). You will notice if it is a screen problem. The 3ds does not boot if something isn´t connected properly. Try revising all the connections

Last edited by perrochiba, Mar 7, 2016
  3. Potato hoarder

Potato hoarder Hoarder of Potatoes

Feb 2, 2016
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Recovery mode only works for corrupted firm, not a hardware fault. If he didn't mess with the firmware, recovery mode would have nothing to fix. I agree though. You probably didn't connect something correctly.

4. RafaMR13

RafaMR13 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 29, 2016
    I have the same problem that you have and I only have to connect all the ribbons again and it should works

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    normally if its damage to the top LCD ribbon it will either
    A) not turn on at all i.e turn on or like 1 second then shut down with an audible pop noise (same effect as if you leave the top screen ribbon cable loose)
    B) boot up and work fine except for the top screen staying black or being messed up.

any sort of staying on a black screen and not cutting out sounds like some sort of motherboard damage to me (or a bricked nand, but i assume you wasn't messing with the nand on this occasion)

6. Mint Pepper
    OP

Mint Pepper Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2014
    United States
    Turns out I had the IR piece pointing the wrong way. Thanks everyone, I'm just glad it was something simple as that.

gamesquest1 likes this.