What order should I do things in?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by raptir, Jul 27, 2009.

Jul 27, 2009
  1. raptir
    OP

Member raptir GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm currently running Waninkoko's 4.0. I have The Homebrew Channel installed along with Preloader. I want to try to get BootMii working properly, but I've had some issues getting NAND backups to work. I'm on one of the release Wiis (bought it a week after it came out.

I want to update to 4.1 as well as attempt BootMii again, and also get Preloader installed again. What order should I do everything in? I take it I should try BootMii first to prevent bricks. Should I update through Nintendo or use Waninkoko's 4.1 updater? After that, to get Preloader working, should I run the IOS Downgrader and then the IOS 60 patcher (through the SystemChannelUpdater?) and then install Preloader? Or what? Thanks.

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Do you have wii sports resort?
    If not, updating to 4.1 has no use

To install bootmii, run the hackmii installer, prepare the SD card and install bootmii as boot2.

3. HiBit

Member HiBit GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Before we go on to the update question please explain what's the problem with the NAND backup?

Is bootmii installed as boot2?
    You have a problem with the backup function?

I ask this because this is the only real brick protection, and if you backup your NAND you can try whatever you want.

4. raptir
    OP

United States
    BootMii installs as Boot2, my Wii boots fine to the BootMii menu, but when I try to do a NAND backup it just sits there. I'm going to try again, and I'll let you know what happens exactly.

Also, I've read somewhere that you shouldn't downgrade your IOSes. Is this really dangerous? Would I be safe using Waninkoko's IOS downgrader (not the firmware downgrader, just the IOS downgrader)?

And yes, I have Wii Sports Resort, and that's why I want to upgrade. Is there any advantage to using Waninkoko's installer instead of updating through Nintendo?

Edit: I got the NAND backup to work finally. Even though I have this safety net, I'd still like to know if IOS downgrader is safe and if I should be updating through Nintendo or Waninkoko.

5. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Since you have a Wii capable of doing a boot2 install, IOS downgrader should work fine, but it's not really necessary anymore.

Just install cIOS rev14 first if you haven't already and then run Waninkoko's 4.1 updater. Then you can use the Trucha Bug Restorer to install an IOS36 with the Trucha Bug and stuff so that preloader can install. This is safe to do on any Wii as the way it downgrades IOS15 is safe on even boot2v4 Wii's.

Then you can pretty much do whatever you want from that point.

6. raptir
    OP

United States
    Is it necessary to install cIOS rev 14 before I update? I'd rather wait due to the issues people have been having with some games (I do use the USB Loader) on rev14.