What Old School consol should I get?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by CheatingSoi, Jun 22, 2009.

Jun 22, 2009
  1. CheatingSoi
    OP

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    So I sold some stuff on ebay and have a little cash and now I want to add another console to my collection. So far I've got (Not including portables) Wii, 360 PS1, PS One, PS2, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Atari 2600, Genesis and Dreamcast. So I have recently been starting collecting older consoles. But I am not sure what to get and what a good price is. I need a sega Saturn to complete my sega's or I could get an Atari 5200 or 7800 but I'm not sure what one. I like the 5200 just because its HUGE! I could also for a different console or maybe even not a console at all. I just have no idea what to go with. Any ideas? keep it mind I have my room set up to display all of my consoles so they are not just sitting in some closet.

2. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    get the atari jaguar

3. CorruptJon

Member CorruptJon :)

United States
    Get the old school original brick game boy and some original games. The nostalgia is definitely worth the 10 bucks you can get one for on ebay.

4. KamuiX

Member KamuiX GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    You forgot the Sega master system.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Master_System

I'm happy I still have that one with 15+ games and i play sometimes with it.

Also look for Xbox 1. Many guys out there sell it for 50 euro and if you modchip it, you can make it an AWESOME!!! media player for your home but also has all kind of emulators to play games from all the old school consoles till N64.

Of course other choices are gameboy original/color/advance ,neogeo /neogeo pocket, maybe an add on for your Genesis like Sega 32X or Sega cd, gamegear that's the most famous i think.

I hope find a third made console that can run all kind of retro games with retro controllers. Like a dedicated emulator. I find something like that only as handheld and this is GP2X (Wiz) and others like these

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2009/06/10/handheld...s-on-the-cheap/
    http://technabob.com/blog/2008/01/22/handh...tor-goes-solar/
    http://www.thebanzaieffect.com/articles/oo...o-digital-a320/

5. R1C3 N1NJA

Member R1C3 N1NJA GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Magnavox Odyssey
    (: the very first gaming system! I think lol well its really old i'll tell you that im talking like 1970's lol

6. CheatingSoi
    OP

United States
    Damn, I just don't know what to go with.

7. Sefi

Member Sefi GBAtemp Fan

I'd say xbox, and then softmod it if you're into the whole piracy (I mean backup) scene. You could also go for a more obscure console like a CD32 or CDI, I got a CDI just to put my friends through the horror of the CDI Zelda games.

8. Lubbo

Member Lubbo GBAtemp Traceur

Australia
    what is the difference between PS1 and PS One?

9. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    PS1:
    [​IMG]

PSOne:
    [​IMG]

Think of it like a "PS1 Slim".

As for the OP:

Get a Commodore system. They're awesome [​IMG]

10. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Go for the Saturn, otherwise Segata Sanshiro will show up to your house and kick your ass [​IMG].

And then import Policenauts for the reason about Snatcher below.

11. Hachibei

Member Hachibei GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Get a Sega CD, Snatcher, and a Sega Menacer, or the Konami Justifier. Then experience one of the most amazing yet underrated games of all time in all it's glory.

12. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Between the Atari 5200 & 7800, I would definitely go with the 7800. I liked the games on the 5200 better, but the joysticks for it SUUUUUCKed! There may be an aftermarket solution to the joystick problem, but I can't vouch for that. Also the 7800 plays 2600 games, something else in it's favor.

My personal favorite old console is the 3DO, but it did have issues with the CD drive sucking very badly. Again, there may be a fix out there but I haven't looked.

13. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    Virtual Boy.

14. chrispinifer

Newcomer chrispinifer Advanced Member

Canada
    I'd get a NES and a SNES. It's always great playing older games from the actual console.

15. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Buy a Turbo Duo/PC engine. There are many great CD games along with many Hu-Card (cartridge) games as well. Truly a neglected system with an amazing library of games.

Sega Saturn would be a good choice as well.

Don't buy a Jaguar, 3DO, CDI, or Virtual Boy (should I even have to say this LOL). Thats just my opinion, but I see little reason to buy any of those even for the most hardcore collector.

16. Blood Fetish

Member Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

United States
    Second all of this. Saturn is great, as was the TG16.

17. Maktub

Member Maktub GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    Saturn!!!

18. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    TurboGFX/16 or Duo is indeed a good choice, one of my favorite games is on it, Devil's Crush Pinball, though it's also on Wii as a download along with a bunch of other TurboGFX games that have been bastardized to some extent or another.

Also I'd agree about the Jaguar, CDi and Virtual Boy, unless your quest is more in the "collecting" realm, and in that case get the Virtual Boy.

3DO had some great games though, Immercenary, PO'ed, "D", Road Rash, Need for Speed, Shockwave, Escape from Monster Manor, Way of the Warrior. I had a LOT of fun on that machine. It had a lot of games that were exclusive to it, or if not exclusive, had the best version at the time.

19. CheatingSoi
    OP

United States
    Thanks everyone. There is a game store near me that sells old consoles. They Sell NES SNES Genesis Saturn Dreamcast Xbox Gamecube PS2 PS1 and others and the only one they are sold out of is the Saturn. I go back there every once in a while but they are always sold out. Apparently they had one in but sold it last weekend. They're prices are awesome too. 40 bucks for the system, the cables and a controller or 2. Anyway, I found one on ebay for buy it now for 45 bucks free shipping. I'll probably go with that. But then again, I could just get like dozens of old games or something. Its too hard to decide what to buy when on eBay.

20. Smatchmo

Member Smatchmo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Agreed on the 7800 over the 5200 and with the 3DO recommendation. I loved my 3DO. True, there may not a huge library of good games but there were a couple of high quality gems that made the 3DO worthwhile.

I'd suggest a TurboDuo, though they've gotten a bit pricey. You could always save some cash and go for a TG-16 and get all the add-ons that make it a TurboDuo-lite.
    Also, get a TG-16.