What not to do when installing your Wiikey

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jaagba, Jun 4, 2007.

Jun 4, 2007
  1. jaagba
    OP

Newcomer jaagba Newbie

Angola
    Make sure and triple check that it is your magnifying desk lamp that is plugged in, and not your soldering iron when you go to change the soldering tip....... [​IMG]

After a couple of laps around the house, I successfully installed my wiikey.

2. 2cb2ct7

Member 2cb2ct7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    'E' for Effort... 'S' for Special [​IMG]

Just joking... congratulations!

3. bliss-chris

Newcomer bliss-chris Member

Germany
    @ jaagba: thanks for the tip, which I'm very thankful for, and congratulations for installing the Wiikey!
    Like I wish somebody had told me I oughta unplug my soldering iron before taking it apart for a repair. [​IMG] 220V can teach you very quickly to be less stupid with electrical equipment repairs.

4. DEF-

Member DEF- GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Burning yourself on a soldering iron can be VERY painful, and the damn pain sticks for days too!

Make sure you cool the burned part down as fast as you can, it will minimize the pain.

5. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Also, if you do burn yourself, wrap the burned area in cling-film. It starves the burn of oxygen therefore it wont blister and reduces healing time. Soldering iron burns are the worst, they instantly turn the skin white & sting for days.

6. Seger

Newcomer Seger Member

Sweden
    If you get burnt, put your hand or the limb you burnt in cold water for at least 15 minutes.

7. squirt1000

Banned squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

United Kingdom
    I burnt my wrist on the end of a soldering gun, Melted a hole the same thickness of an AA battery!! Took weeks to heal and left an ugly round scar.... Nasty things in the hands of idiots [​IMG]

8. bliss-chris

Newcomer bliss-chris Member

Germany
    I believe that's how branding was invented! Some geek had one or several terrible accidents with soldering tools and by coincidence it was a cool picture! With round scars alone you can do funny things, e.g. the Olympic rings, or the logo of a particular German car brand... [​IMG]

9. cardyology

United Kingdom
    This isnt strictly correct. When you burn yourself, the skin continues to cook (like chicken [​IMG] ) after the hot metal/object has been moved away. So, running under cold water immediately is recommended, but it only works if you do it IMMEDIATELY and only for about 20 to 30 seconds - any longer than 30 seconds is pointless as you have already cooled the area to stop it burning and if its under water for 15 mins, you cant cling-film it so you'll get a blister.

Run under water for 20 to 30 seconds, Just to cool the area and prevent the skin from burning more. Then wrap the area in cling flim, then leave for an hour. When you take the film off, there will be no blister and a minimal burned area.

BTW, this isnt just for soldering burns, its for any burns. Try it next time you have an accident involving skin + heat.

Tomorrrow I'll show how to apply your own stiches.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. dohclude

Member dohclude GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Slather the burn in Aloe Vera. I wouldn't put tape on a burn, the skin might come off when you pull off the tape OW!!!!

11. joesmokey

Newcomer joesmokey Member

United States
    Ouch, wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that one!

12. cardyology

United Kingdom
    Not tape, cling-film. Its not adhesive so it wont rip the skin off. Not sure if its called cling-film in the US. Might be called shrink wrap or something like that. Its cling-film in the UK.