Hacking What not to do when installing your Wiikey

jaagba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Angola
Make sure and triple check that it is your magnifying desk lamp that is plugged in, and not your soldering iron when you go to change the soldering tip.......
cry.gif

After a couple of laps around the house, I successfully installed my wiikey.

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@ jaagba: thanks for the tip, which I'm very thankful for, and congratulations for installing the Wiikey!
Like I wish somebody had told me I oughta unplug my soldering iron before taking it apart for a repair.
wacko.gif
220V can teach you very quickly to be less stupid with electrical equipment repairs.

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Burning yourself on a soldering iron can be VERY painful, and the damn pain sticks for days too!

Make sure you cool the burned part down as fast as you can, it will minimize the pain.

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also, if you do burn yourself, wrap the burned area in cling-film. It starves the burn of oxygen therefore it wont blister and reduces healing time. Soldering iron burns are the worst, they instantly turn the skin white & sting for days.

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I burnt my wrist on the end of a soldering gun, Melted a hole the same thickness of an AA battery!! Took weeks to heal and left an ugly round scar.... Nasty things in the hands of idiots
biggrin.gif

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I believe that's how branding was invented! Some geek had one or several terrible accidents with soldering tools and by coincidence it was a cool picture! With round scars alone you can do funny things, e.g. the Olympic rings, or the logo of a particular German car brand...
biggrin.gif

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you get burnt, put your hand or the limb you burnt in cold water for at least 15 minutes.
This isnt strictly correct. When you burn yourself, the skin continues to cook (like chicken
laugh.gif
) after the hot metal/object has been moved away. So, running under cold water immediately is recommended, but it only works if you do it IMMEDIATELY and only for about 20 to 30 seconds - any longer than 30 seconds is pointless as you have already cooled the area to stop it burning and if its under water for 15 mins, you cant cling-film it so you'll get a blister.

Run under water for 20 to 30 seconds, Just to cool the area and prevent the skin from burning more. Then wrap the area in cling flim, then leave for an hour. When you take the film off, there will be no blister and a minimal burned area.

BTW, this isnt just for soldering burns, its for any burns. Try it next time you have an accident involving skin + heat.

Tomorrrow I'll show how to apply your own stiches....
rofl2.gif
ph34r.gif

cardyology

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not tape, cling-film. Its not adhesive so it wont rip the skin off. Not sure if its called cling-film in the US. Might be called shrink wrap or something like that. Its cling-film in the UK.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.