Hardware What Monitor should I buy; 1080p/240hz or 1440p/144hz?

Which Monitor? (See below)

• Monitor A

• Monitor B

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paolosworld

Dionicio3's best friend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some advice on what monitor to buy.

I plan to do Photoshop, some gaming, and video after effects.

[Monitor A]

- 1440p
- 144hz
- VA panel
- Curved
- 1ms
- AyyMD FreeSync

[Monitor B]
- 1080p
- 240hz
- TN panel
- Not Curved
- 1ms
- AyyMD FreeSync

Also take into account my PC specs:
AyyMD Ryzen 3700x
Asus ROG STRIX X470 Gaming-F Motherboard
G.Skill SniperX 16GB 3600mhz DDR4
Powercolor Radeon AyyMD RX 5700xt RED DEVIL
EVGA SuperNova G2 850w PSU

Not much else to say; Give me advice.

Last edited by Paolosworld,

Paolosworld

Dionicio3's best friend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If video editing and photoshop are important to you, I'd look up which monitor is more color accurate. For now I'm inclined to suggest Monitor A.

I know that the difference between 144hz and 240hz is small yet significant, is color accuracy the same way?
Is there significant difference between TN and VA Monitors? Or is it too slight to even care much?

TopKekMaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Depends on what games you are going to play honestly.

If you play Overwatch, Counter Strike, or any competitive fast paced game, go for monitor B.
Otherwise, go for monitor A.

I personally have a Dell aw2518hf (244hz monitor) and it's just great for the games I mentioned above. For anything else tho, it doesn't really make that much of a difference.

Reactions: Paolosworld

Paolosworld

Dionicio3's best friend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on what games you are going to play honestly.

If you play Overwatch, Counter Strike, or any competitive fast paced game, go for monitor B.
Otherwise, go for monitor A.

I personally have a Dell aw2518hf (244hz monitor) and it's just great for the games I mentioned above. For anything else tho, it doesn't really make that much of a difference.

I play a lot of CSGO and TF2 but I also wanna get into more cinematic RPG type stuff later on down the line. Even with the lower refresh rate, the higher resolution and VA panel is starting to tempt me, plus it's curved.
Still though, if I go with monitor A I'll never be able to see that glorious 240hz ):

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you mainly focus on photoshop and editing instead of gameplay, go for the screen with the best color accuracy to be honest. In that case IPS panel would be best and between those 2 the VA instead of TN panel.

Paolosworld

Dionicio3's best friend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you mainly focus on photoshop and editing instead of gameplay, go for the screen with the best color accuracy to be honest. In that case IPS panel would be best and between those 2 the VA instead of TN panel.

I would do IPS, but it's a good $150 dollars (€135 in Euro) more and with that big of a price hike it's hard to justify it.
Also is the difference between TN and VA that noticeable? Or is it really slight?

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You won't be able to consistently hit even near 240 or 144 for most games. Id go with Moniter A. Seems a lot like the msi optix moniter I got a bit ago if it's the optix mag24c or in the same line those are some fine moniters

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Vn is better for sure if you have a good response time which is also a debatle stat as theres no consensus on how to measure it across companies

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are doing any real photoshop you should have at least a 4k monitor with hdr support that also supports good blacks /refresh rate will real only mater for gaming 120 or better

tglaria

Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
So you left out the size of the monitors, which is important.
If you want to do image/video editing, resolution and color is more important than anything else.
¿Refresh rate?
I'm not sure how that would be important for photoshop.
Also, I wouldn't pick a curved display for editing, I just don't like those, but this is a personal opinion.

Were those two your only options?

StackMasher

Trophies
XP
Country
The frametime difference (and therefore the smoothness) between 144hz and 240hz is negligible, even if you could hit 240fps. Monitor A all the way

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I know that the difference between 144hz and 240hz is small yet significant, is color accuracy the same way?
Is there significant difference between TN and VA Monitors? Or is it too slight to even care much?
VA monitors have better Viewing Angles and Color Accuracy and deeper blacks so higher contrast. They are in between IPS and TN.

For photoshop I would say go for a IPS pannel. It'll be good for gaming and photoshop. They have the widest viewing angles of the 3 displays so they retain color accuracy no matter what angle you look. I can't stand TN panels. The picture just looks horrible on them because of this viewing angle thing, they loose colors and look under saturated at an angle. I have all 3 and my favorite is IPS.

Your games will look better too picture quality wise with IPS. For photoshop you can also get away with a VA panel since you're sitting center and looking at the screen dead on. So viewing angle might not be a problem with VA plus you get higher contrast.

I would say go for IPS 144hz, 1440p, above 90% Srgb coverage, and low input lag and that comes pre calibrated from factory so you won't have to buy an color analyzer meter to calibrate your screen, those are expensive. Some Displays even include a certificate that it has been calibrated for accurate colors. Practically every reviewer includes color accuracy in their review so you can look at that to find a color accurate monitor.

And that resolution bump from 1080p will make things look sharper. 1080p is too low for me. And 1440p is a good middle ground between 4k and 1080p that will make your games look good without having a high end graphics card to power 4k gaming.

For high end color monitor you can go for above 90% Adobe RGB coverage which can display more colors, but you can get away with just Srgb coverage for photoshop if you are not a photographer and just a hobbyist. And they are cheaper too. The majority of stuff runs in Srgb anyways, internet, youtube, movies its all mostly in Srgb.

Last edited by SG854,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I play a lot of CSGO and TF2 but I also wanna get into more cinematic RPG type stuff later on down the line. Even with the lower refresh rate, the higher resolution and VA panel is starting to tempt me, plus it's curved.
Still though, if I go with monitor A I'll never be able to see that glorious 240hz ):
i've 240hz Gsync monitor, there's a significant jump from 144hz monitor to 240hz one, if you are addicted to Overwatch/CSGO, go for 240 monitor, VA has better visual colour effects, while TN has less input lag, that's why PRO MLG shooter players all have TN 240hz monitors.
honestly you won't notice any HUGE difference when play ordinary 60hz games and if you don't need 1440p for graphic designs then go for 240hz monitor

Paolosworld

Dionicio3's best friend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are doing any real photoshop you should have at least a 4k monitor with hdr support that also supports good blacks /refresh rate will real only mater for gaming 120 or better
Yeah the photoshop I am doing is mainly modification over digital art, so 4K and stuff isn’t really a huge priority. It’s not like I’m a professional or something, I just mention it because Monitor A has a VA panel.

So you left out the size of the monitors, which is important.
If you want to do image/video editing, resolution and color is more important than anything else.
¿Refresh rate?
I'm not sure how that would be important for photoshop.
Also, I wouldn't pick a curved display for editing, I just don't like those, but this is a personal opinion.

Were those two your only options?
Image editing isn’t as significant as gaming and After Effects, but is something that I will inevitably have to do a lot of. There were other options but they all involved a huge price hike.

i've 240hz Gsync monitor, there's a significant jump from 144hz monitor to 240hz one, if you are addicted to Overwatch/CSGO, go for 240 monitor, VA has better visual colour effects, while TN has less input lag, that's why PRO MLG shooter players all have TN 240hz monitors.
honestly you won't notice any HUGE difference when play ordinary 60hz games and if you don't need 1440p for graphic designs then go for 240hz monitor
Yeah VA and IPS usually have worse response times but according to the listings both are 1ms, so whatever.
CSGO is still a game that I play super often though, so I feel like I might have some buyers remorse...

Reactions: Mythical

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Unless you are a MLG Pro there's really no need for TN. VA and IPS will satisfy both of your requirements for Photoshop and Gaming.

Between IPS and VA go for what ever is cheaper. For color critical work it's usually always recommended to go IPS. But as a hobbyist you'll be fine with VA.

Shop around for a bit, read a bunch of reviews and follow sales. You might find a good deal for a really good monitor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: