Hacking What Memory Stick Pro Duo to Get?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i've been asking some friends what stick they recommend. my goal is to carry a bunch of roms, some psx, some psp, and maybe the occasional movie or something. i'm considering 8gb or 16gb. so far i've been told to just grab a msd-to-pro duo adapter. someone else (who's opinion i value) suggested the Lexar Platinum II 8GB Memory Stick Pro Duo.

i'd like some suggestions, opinions, horror stories, love stories, etc. let me know what media you are using with your psp, how well it works, and how much you love or hate it.

thanks!
-another world

mjax

Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a 3004 and a PSP Go to compare, kept one and sold the other. I sold the PSP 3004. Before selling it, I used a Samsung class 6 8GB Micro SD card with this adapter: http://www.dealextre...-16gb-max-30584

It turned out quite well for me, I tried a few games such as Burnout, Ridge Racer, MGS: Peace Walker and they all ran well without any slow-downs. You could probably use Micro SD card upto 16GB with it. If you choose to buy this adapter, it might just be available at a local store, won't have to get it from DX and wait for a long time.

Edit: Undermined my opinion, it's worth crap now lol.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lexar Platinum II 8GB Memory Stick Pro Duo.

The microSD adapter has a pro and many cons -- the pro being the cost of microSD, the cons being everything from speed to please-oh-god-please-don't-corrupt-fuuuuuuuuu! (Cue the legions of photofast owners who claim they've never had a problem ever, blah blah blah. The vast majority of people who claim 'no slowdown' have never had a proper sized memory stick pro duo to compare against.)

You're always better off with an authentic pro duo, without question. I've got sticks ranging from 1gb to 32gb from Sony, Lexar & Sandisk. The best performance wise have always been Sony and Sandisk, with Sandisk earning massive respect for the Ultra II series. If you can get your hands on a Sandisk Ultra II, it's probably the best choice. If you want space over performance, get a Sony branded one.

Reactions: 1 person

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I used the same as 431unknown, but with two 4GB MicroSD cards. It worked pretty well. The prices have really evened out across the board though, regardless. I would imagine that anything you buy will suit you well (at or above 8GB), as long as you don't buy it from eBay.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Im using this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001B6EAOY?ie=UTF8&tag=highyieldingp-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450

With 2 8gb micro sd's and it works like a dream, great storage and cheap, iv had no problems with it whatsoever, using it with a 3000 and once its actually in the psp i use a usb cable to swap things in and out so iv never had to take the device out of the psp

Reactions: 1 person

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
lil, this one? http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Stick-Pro-16GB-Ultra/dp/B001BNHI6E/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332480593&sr=1-4

i'll probably stay away from adapters that have known fakes, i don't have the patience to deal with that these days.

-another world

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
At that rate, why not get the Sony one? It's actually cheaper, has a higher rating, and claims itself to be faster: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PRO-HG-Memory-Stick-MSHX16A/dp/B003F8UWV6/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The microSD adapter has a pro and many cons -- the pro being the cost of microSD, the cons being everything from speed to please-oh-god-please-don't-corrupt-fuuuuuuuuu! (Cue the legions of photofast owners who claim they've never had a problem ever, blah blah blah. The vast majority of people who claim 'no slowdown' have never had a proper sized memory stick pro duo to compare against.)
I'll just keep quiet then. :<

But yea, if you don't mind paying a bit more always go for a proper card. Why play with fire if you don't have to right?

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
I use a Kingston single pro-duo adapter with a Sandisk 16 gb micro sdhc. If I run certain roms in a compressed state like .cso I would have slowdowns on those but the cure I found was just to run those one's as .iso's and the problem went away. Some people talk about corruption of files but I have not experienced It, (knock on wood). I typically have around 10 roms, 2 movies, some psx and my cps emulaters with just about the whole list of games for that and everything has been gravy.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've used both a Micro SD adapter and MSPD and I would recommend the latter. I've found a genuine MSPD just has a higher level of performance. I've been using this with no problem for nearly a year.

Un4tural

Trophies
XP
Country
i got 4gb sandisk stick, and it is slow as watching paint dry. 3.5mb/s write... i got it with my old SE phone, but still... 3.5mb/s... i figured if games don't lag on this they wont on class 10 samsung micro SD i got for 12.5£ from amazon plus an adapter for my psp for 1.5£ from dealextreme...

Also nothing in the whole world that is modern uses memory sticks that i know of, could be sony's cameras not sure. So won't a quick micro SD be a better investment than a card that you will ever only use in the PSP?

Un4tural

Trophies
XP
Country
... gameplay is read speed, not write.
5.5mb/s read. Not great. Also you could get a very decent micro SD + adapter for less than MS still, and i am quite sure micro SD would be still quite relevant after few years when you're bored of PSP, or just need an SD card for phone etc.

plus SD card readers are way, way more widespread than MS ones... i really doubt it is worth it to invest into an MS card. Class 10 micro SD will surely be quick enough for all your needs, my kingmax one from china averages 15mb/s read and 9.5-10mb/s write, which is really nice when you got 16gb of space and plenty to move around. Got a second one off amazon as i said, cause they are dirt cheap on some sale whatever.

SD won the memory card war, at least the main stream one, they are adopted way more widely and way cheaper, plus while not 30mb/s no game on psp will need those speeds, 15mb/s will be plenty. Why pay more for something that will have 1 use pretty much, instead of a way cheaper and more diverse alternative?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
'Cause last I checked there's no way to use a single memory card in two devices at the same time. If a card is in use on the PSP, it's in use on the PSP. By the time things are not relevant, it's likely that whatever media is chosen will be nearing it's end of life (limited write cycles and such) anyways, or will simply be outdated as far as performance or capacity is concerned. As an example, a 60GB external harddrive from a few years ago may still be fully functional today, but is not the optimum backup solution.

Again, back when an 8GB was $65 there was an obvious reason for an adapter, but now with the heavy price drops (8GB for ~$22), the concern with corruption and such, the choice is not obvious like you intend.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
lil, this one? http://www.amazon.co...32480593&sr=1-4

i'll probably stay away from adapters that have known fakes, i don't have the patience to deal with that these days.

-another world

Yes it's that one which Lily was referring to (or rather that range). In the end they're the best choice if you want a fast and reliable stick. Lexar MSPD's have had plugin issues and tend to perform more erratically than either Sony or Sandisk sticks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.