Hacking What Memory Card do you use to store your backups on the Wii U?~

MancVandaL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. I've just found out about the Wii U being hack-able and having the ability to play backups from a memory card. I'm interested in getting set up but I'm not sure on what memory cards people are using. I've read the Wii U can only handle SD cards up to 32 GB but I've seen people talking about using 128 GB cards with their set up.

What am I missing?

Can anyone point me to a card that definitely works with the Wii U hack?

Thanks in advance.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I've just found out about the Wii U being hack-able and having the ability to play backups from a memory card. I'm interested in getting set up but I'm not sure on what memory cards people are using. I've read the Wii U can only handle SD cards up to 32 GB but I've seen people talking about using 128 GB cards with their set up.

What am I missing?

Can anyone point me to a card that definitely works with the Wii U hack?

Thanks in advance.
Any sdhc card will work without any special steps sdxc (64 GB and higher) must be formatted to fat32 and it will work.

_Pro_Man_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really have a dedicated memory card right now for my Wii U, might plan on getting one later. Most memory cards should work, provided they are formatted in the right file system. According to Nintendo, up to 32gb will work with the Wii U, but you can use an external program to format the card into the fat32 file system, and it will work for back ups.

If you are buying an sd online, always be wary and only buy from reputable sources. If an sd card seems too cheap, then it probably is. A 32 gb should sell for about $10, and a 64 gb should sell for about $20. Not exactly sure for higher capacity sd cards, but if they are less than $20, they are probably fake.

Insidious611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use a 64GB SanDisk SDXC, reformatted to FAT32. It's a beast.

Also yeah, be careful of fakes! I mostly buy my stuff from Amazon and I usually look for sellers that I can get Prime shipping with, because Amazon is really big about making sure Prime members don't get ripped off.

Dunno if anyone's ever done it with SD cards, but I remember a while back there was a rash of people selling fake, high capacity USB drives. They'd show up as the right capacity in Windows but they were set up as a loop, so e.g. you'd have a "128GB" stick but it's really 1GB, and when you get to the end of 1GB it just starts overwriting the stuff at the beginning of the stick.

Also! MicroSD cards will work with a MicroSD to SD converter thing (which most of them come with) *but*, from my experience, those converters don't last very long, so you're probably better off just getting a full size SD card, especially if you only plan to use it with the WiiU.

Basically, because I'm bored and feel like being verbose and trying to explain shit, there's three types of SD cards:

SD
SDHC
and SDXC

SD was only up to I think 4GB (correct me if I'm wrong) and used a filesystem called FAT16. SDHC was up to 32GB and used FAT32. SDXC I forget the max on it but we haven't hit it yet afaik, but by default it uses exFAT which is a filesystem that was only added to Windows in Vista, and is patented. Hardware wise, there isn't a whole lot of different between SD and SDHC, and there's *no* difference between SDHC and SDXC. So, most manufacturers that are cheap (and Nintendo is one of them) just build in SDHC support, because the filesystem used in that is free and open. But the thing is, even though Windows and the SD people don't want you using FAT32 on SDXC cards, it actually works just fine. It's slightly less efficient as far as space due to increasing cluster sizes (something you probably don't really care about). Basically *any* SDXC card (>32GB) should work as long as you use a utility to format it Fat32.

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm Here's one that I know works just fine for that purpose. Just make sure you're formatting the right drive.Z

And if all that just made your head hurt, just get a 32GB card, it'll work fine out of box.

Last edited by Insidious611,
Reactions: CallieMarie

owek1

Master Sword Wielder
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
would recommend a Sandisk brand..make sure it's not fake. Sometimes you try to think you are saving money by buying cheap knockoffs but in the end you end up purchasing a new one so you are basically just spending more money.. i personally use a 32GB Class 10 Sandisk Ultra SD card..micro SDs work as well, you just need an adapter of course..and lastly, as long as it is formatted properly it will work with homebrew apps and backup games on Wii U even on higher capacities (64GB size and up)..
Happy gaming!! :)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I got a cheap 16GB Sandisk usb for $5 during back to school supplies, and it's been great for Splatoon. Loads just as slow as the internal data too.

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can check my sig for personally recommendations from me that are guaranteed to work. I've personally tried the Samsung EVO 32GB one and the SanDisk Ultra 64GB one and both worked perfectly without issues.

Jhnsn

*Flat is Justice*
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Bought a 64gb microSD from Sandisk. Never had any issues with it since two months. Runs smoothly.

Duckling

Sorry for being dumb ;(
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I used the SanDisk 64 GB mini SD card which I also used for my 3DS XL

It ran games pretty okay 10-15 seconds loading times so it got annoying at times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.