What makes Tetris so addicting?

Why do you find Tetris addicting?

• Just when I'm bored I play...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's fun, like dropping blocks and making lines!

• Like, puzzle games are pwnzorz!

• Nope, not at all, it's boring...

• Other(please state in post)

• Total voters

Balrogs.Pain

Trophies
XP
Country
xalphax said:
jaxxster said:
Does anyone here try to get a perfect teris game? 200 lines cleared with nothing but tetris'? the most i can handle is 100 lines, but one day im gunna hit that perfect game.

194 lines with ALOT of luck... but then it got fucked up and i never had that much luck since.
i dont recall the most i've gotton, most of my lines are tetris's but i remember getting like, up to level 40 once. I had to quit playing and clean the puppys cage.

alex

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Man I was so phucking surprised, my friend and cousins don't know what Tetris is! I'm going to go kill myself! My friend doesn't even know what PONG is!

Yeah, I hate it when I could make like 3 Tetris hits at once, and I never get any long blocks! XD It's like perfect, no gaps, and no long blocks!

Balrogs.Pain

Trophies
XP
Country
Alex said:
Man I was so phucking surprised, my friend and cousins don't know what Tetris is! I'm going to go kill myself! My friend doesn't even know what PONG is!

Yeah, I hate it when I could make like 3 Tetris hits at once, and I never get any long blocks! XD It's like perfect, no gaps, and no long blocks!
Yeah, i REALLY hate when that happens, like one time, on a wi-fi match, Im about to lose, and he only does 4 line clears, and whats weird is, they cleared all in the same area that i use to get TETRIS! but what sucks is that I DIDNT GET ANY LONG BLOCKS!!! i got so angry, because i could have won so badly if i had even 2 blocks!

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
PS. Do you guys recognize the blocks by shape or color? Ever since Tetris DS I've been relying on color, and it annoys the hell out of me when I play another version of Tetris with different colors because it throws me off so bad, especially when they retain the same colors, just they are for different blocks.
I go by color on the L, J, and S, Z pieces, because they look so similar. The rest I go by shape.

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, it's really fun on multiplayer, with like 5 other friends. It actually even makes a good semi-party game. Just because everyone's in one place, battling blocks, and screwing other people over with the grey blocks.

Good times, good times...

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Addicting? Maybe, but I only play it when I'm bored in Calc. I
wub.gif
TI-89 Tetris.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xalphax said:
jaxxster said:
Does anyone here try to get a perfect teris game? 200 lines cleared with nothing but tetris'? the most i can handle is 100 lines, but one day im gunna hit that perfect game.

194 lines with ALOT of luck... but then it got fucked up and i never had that much luck since.
I have gotten over 200 on Tetris DS just doing the normal mode. I think I got to 214 once a couple of years ago on a bus ride from Toronto to Hamilton.

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to dream about Tetris when I played it too much when it first came out. It was so messed up because it wouldn't be perfect long lines, but I instead would dream of fairly rapid dropping blocks that conflicted. One time, it was so bad it woke me up. I like tetris, but I play zookeeper more.

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first arrived in Japan, I used to go to the arcades to watch the kids play video games. I don't think I'll ever look at Beat Mania or any fighting game the same again. Japanese people are some serious gamers. That clip just illustrates the point nicely. Invisible indeed.

Tenkaichi

Trophies
Website
www.livejournal.com
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
I definitely think it is because it is a pick up and play game that has simple rules so anyone can learn in a matter or seconds. I find puzzle games, when done right, to be absolutely addictive. I think the best puzzle games are Tetris (no duh), Bust-a-move, Lumines, and Dr. Mario. I know there are a few more but I don't know the names.

The best version, EASILY is the NES version. The Gameboy version has nothing on it. Being able to play it at home in all 30 inch glory back in the old days made this easily the best. I think Tetris DS's new rules are interesting, hugely unfaithful to the original, but acceptable changes. Tetris DS certainly makes the game easier, and I've been playing it a lot.

It was maybe 8 months ago that I played a game of Tetris DS for 12 hours, straight through the night. Living proof that the changes made the game too easy. The changes are GREAT for multiplayer, but the core game became kind of dull.

PS. Do you guys recognize the blocks by shape or color? Ever since Tetris DS I've been relying on color, and it annoys the hell out of me when I play another version of Tetris with different colors because it throws me off so bad, especially when they retain the same colors, just they are for different blocks.
My list for such puzzle games adding on to yours would also be - Super Puzzle Fighter II (Turbo), and Money Idol Exchanger (on Neo Geo). Oh my God, I think my life can be sucked away for just playing such things in my spare time, when I really wanted to play some other game or should be doing something else.

One of my brothers started me on the puzzle game thang since he's a big fan of Tetris and high scores, Dr. Mario and difficulty. He would always put Dr. Mario on Hi, lvl 20 (on both versions - NES and GB, I think the GB version is harder) and move pieces in ways I didn't think of... and the same for Tetris. I used to have one of those 50 in 1 game carts and I stuck it in my GB Pocket and left it on my desk so that he could play it when he came by the house. Aww.

I recently discovered Tetris Grand Master and its style of play. I think it has its place (in insane speedness and all that), so I'm trying to learn how to play that since it's fun for me, but I always have a copy of Tetris and Dr. Mario on my cart in both NES and GB form. Puzzle fighter is in GBA (and PS1), and MIE is with the Neo Geo emu. Can you tell I heart my puzzle games?
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi