What makes Street Fighter So Awesome?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by TheTwoR's, Jan 25, 2011.

Jan 25, 2011
  1. TheTwoR's
    OP

Member TheTwoR's Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D

Belgium
    Hey all.
    I want to ask about Street Fighter in general.
    What makes it so great?
    I used to play it on Sega DC. It was okay I guess. I didn't like it all that much, but now I see that people on the temp are REALLY hyped over Super Street Fighter IV 3D! Why's that? I want to be convinced. I want to look at that game the way you do. I've seen the SSF4 3D trailer on YouTube, and in my opinion (don't kill me for this) the graphics aren't that good. Anyway I never judged a game EVER by graphics, (I play Pokemon) but the gameplay doesn't look that awesome either, also considering it's a fast action and fighting game.
    So, please manage to convince me [​IMG]
    Thank You! [​IMG]

2. Zarxrax

Member Zarxrax GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I used to be into street fighter back in the Super NES days, but lost interest in it after that.
    The appeal is that is has a very deep system and there is a lot to learn and master. If you are really dedicated, you can spend years learning and trying to perfect your technique.

3. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    It looks like a fun game.

The hype from me, personally, comes from the fact of the great support given to the 3DS.

4. DarkShadow96

Member DarkShadow96 LA96£

Canada
    I've never liked the SF series until SSFIV. Since I started playing Brawl competitively, I wanted to play another game competitively as well and SSFIV is somewhat balanced compared to other fighters. It also has a huge competitive scene, so if you are dedicated for competitiveness and the very deep combat system, then give it a shot.

5. TheTwoR's
    OP

Belgium
    You guys all seem pretty persuasive but, to be honest, the things is, I don't see Street Fighter's uniqueness. I mean, I don't see what makes it stand out from other 2D stage fighting games. [​IMG] (2D as in only moving left/right)
    I was actually quite shocked when I saw how many are getting the 3DS version.

6. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    The question is do you like fighting games in general? If it was just "alright", then chances are you're not into fighting games at all. It takes a lot of practice and memory to remember how to pull off moves and stuff. It's not a genre where, contrary to popular belief, you can button mash your way to victory. Especially if you're playing head to head.

7. TheTwoR's
    OP

Belgium
    I absolutely LOVED SSBB on the Wii. First Super Smash game I played.
    I play Black Ops but I'm assuming you didn't mean First-Player-Shooter when you said 'fighting games'.
    Generally yeah I certainly don't hate fighting games they're awesome except that I don't play much.
    I never thought it was button mashing actually [​IMG]
    I always knew it was about technique and all as well as memory and thinking speed but... My question was why people right now are so hyped over THIS one specific 2D fighting out of all the ones we have.
    ----
    [​IMG] .

8. Zarxrax

United States
    "Out of all the ones we have"? There are exactly 2 fighting games which will be available on the 3ds near launch. This, and dead or alive (ok, and maybe some dinosaur game).
    What other fighting games are people supposed to be getting exited about now?

9. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    I like fighting games but i've never liked SF. It always felt slower and more boring comparatively to something like Soul Calibur, IMO.

People are hyped because street fighter is quite old and has had time to amass a fanbase. As I recall it also gets quite good reviews, so even younger people are getting pulled into the SF scene.

10. TheTwoR's
    OP

Belgium
    Hahaha mate [​IMG]
    In case you didn't notice, this was under the general gaming section.
    I wasn't talking about the 3DS. I only used it as an example.
    I was asking, generally, why is Street Fighter so awesome and why does it stand out from all the fighting games we have?

11. XXLANCEXX

Member XXLANCEXX GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Super Street Fighter IV is Good But to me
    Street Fighter III 3RD Strike will always be a legacy

12. Zarxrax

United States
    Well, as far as Street Fighter 4 in general, it was kinda a big deal, because street fighter was an old and established series, and they finally moved it into 3d rather than using traditional sprite animation.
    I don't think there is significantly more hype surrounding SF4 than many other popular fighting game series. Look at all the hype that SSBB got, for example.

In terms of the 3DS, SSF4 is getting hyped a lot because it just looks like the best launch game for the system, to many people. I could have bought SSF4 for some other system, but I just haven't because I wasn't that interested. However, I am fairly interested in it for the 3ds, mainly because there isn't much else to interest me yet.

13. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    SSBB is actually a different type of fighting game. As in, you basically just hit one button and a direction with the stick to do moves. While SSFIV is doing a combination with the stick and doing a combination with the buttons. It could just be you're not a fan of those types of fighting games.

14. TheTwoR's
    OP

Belgium
    To be honest, I've never played a REAL game that goes under this genre to tell whether or not I'm a fan of this stuff.
    I might just pirate some DS Street Fighter game (if one exists. Otherwise, ps2) to try it out. If I like it, I'll get the 3DS one.

15. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    I suggest trying with the basics, go back to Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. Street Fighter 2 Turbo actually. That's the only street fighter I've played. Well.. a couple of the SNES versions. I haven't played the newer ones.

16. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The gameplay, the music, the characters (as in the way the characters move/play/look - I'm not really interested in any of their back stories, except Charlie's

17. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    SSFIV rocks and being able to play it on a portable is awesome. Add 3D effects and mind = blown. Actually I was even excited to finally be able to play Super Mario 64 on a portable gaming system in the form of a remake on the DS. Being able to play certain titles on the go just makes the experience much more amazing to me. Some folks just won't understand..

18. Elvarg

Banned Elvarg Zyzz™

Australia
    i loved the flashgame on sites when i was young

19. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    I never paid much attention until now, but there's no street fighter game on the DS.

20. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    It is not what makes it awesome or whatever you want to call it.

It was something you had to have lived through it that made it what it is. If your 20 and under, it is just another game and probably means very little to you. There is NOTHING to convince you about the game.