Hacking What made the R4 the most popular flashcart?

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When you hear the words "DS Flashcart", you immediately think "R4". How did it become so mainstream and pretty much the only flashcart that is really popular?

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easy to use, cheap and a simple name to remember.

It was the most accessible cart to complete novices. All they had to do was transfer a file to it and nothing else. It used one slot blah, blah, blah....

It just played games with no complications. Simple. That was all.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was one of the first good Slot 1 flashcarts that used micro sd, you didn't have to have a slot 2 solution with a slot1 passme card. It was easy to use as well at very good compatibility with backup ROMs. At that time when it was new no one had working download play or multi-cart play, the R4 was one of the first to add support. Cost was another factor, I bought mine not long after it was out for around $25, very cheap compared to others which went from $50 to over 100!.

Tri3dgE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
See long before, in ancient past...A hero came out in a flash, flashing your DS through games and brew, it slowly gained fame and became renewed...

Awwww!!!Enough with the Shakespear stuff and I'll say it!

Because the R4 "was" the only available flash cart at that time

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LuOmeoga said:
It was cheap and easy.
Reminds me of a girl I once knew...but, I wouldn't poke her with your's now! Not too unsimilar to how the R4 performs these days.
blink.gif

Tri3dgE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
gratefulbuddy said:
Tri3dgE said:

?DSX?

That is why I hyphenated the word "was", meaning that in some countries such as in mine, only the R4 is available at that time. Still sucks though since the choice here is either R4 or EDGE
wacko.gif

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Tri3dgE said:
gratefulbuddy said:
Tri3dgE said:

?DSX?

That is why I hyphenated the word "was", meaning that in some countries such as in mine, only the R4 is available at that time. Still sucks though since the choice here is either R4 or EDGE
wacko.gif

Nothing wrong with the EDGE
smile.gif

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dark^'^Knight said:
LuOmeoga said:
It was cheap and easy.
Reminds me of a girl I once knew...but, I wouldn't poke her with your's now! Not too unsimilar to how the R4 performs these days.
blink.gif
QFT

but yeah, like everyone said. cheap, easy to use, revolutionary when it came out. simple as that.

Tri3dgE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
EmperorOfCanada said:
Tri3dgE said:
gratefulbuddy said:
Tri3dgE said:

?DSX?

wacko.gif

Nothing wrong with the EDGE
smile.gif

Yup nothing is wrong with the EDGE cart...but I want a Cyclo DS or iTouchDs
mad.gif
(or whatever that cart was called XD)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Wasn't it the first Slot1 card that sits flush, uses MicroSD cards and costs less than $[over 9000!] ?

weiff

Trophies
XP
Country
I know I bought mine because it was the first (and still one of the only) builds that does not have a exposed chip under the label... but yeah, inexpensive, easy to use, (once was) well updated.

SO you get the basic idea...

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tri3dgE said:
wacko.gif

DX does not ship to "your country"?

Sidenote: You quoted "was". Which is still wrong, the only applicable punctuation would have been italicized, which denotes an emphasis. hyphenated = DS-Extreme or self-taught

Anyways, it seems availability played a factor in the success of the R4.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    +1
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    +1
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    +1
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    +1
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @The Real Jdbye, it's bed bath and beyond you nitwit
    @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @K3Nv2 you said instructions with pictures, same difference