What laptop/PC should I buy

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Sop, Jan 31, 2011.

Jan 31, 2011

What laptop/PC should I buy by Sop at 6:21 AM (1,329 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. Sop
    OP

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    I want: blu ray, plays games,tv tuner. Budget around $1500

MUST BE AVAILABLE TO AUSTRALIANS!

2. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    Just get a custom built one. A blu-ray drive will cost a shit-ton, stick to a DVD drive.
    TV Tuner not so sure about.
    For games, I use a GTX 260 + i5 processor, if anything you should wait for the GTX 595, and get an i7 processor.

Just ask for these at your local computer repair/parts shop. Build it yourself or request a build.

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you can get blu-ray drives cheap

I just bought a LG blu-ray burner for $60 USD

4. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Where did you get it at?

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  6. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    Even at 99$ that's still pretty cheap compared to other places I've seen.

7. Sop
    OP

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    I don't know enough about (building) computers to build a custom, I would rather a pre built.

8. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
  9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  10. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    There's really not much to it. It's much more easier then you think. Just google for a tutorial, and it becomes simple. You'll be much better off building a computer yourself and'll probably save money as well.

11. MrCooper

Member MrCooper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Try this one, even though it may not match everything you want
    Laptop

12. Saken

Member Saken GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Lol, good luck with that.

You could get a 3x better desktop for the same price as any (overpriced)laptop [​IMG]

However, if you insist, here's one just over 1.5k, australian site and all..

Link

13. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Thread title states "laptop/PC" - that means a desktop is also acceptable.

That said, Saken's linked laptop is easily the best laptop I've seen in a while with a Sandy Bridge CPU and a GT540M. EDIT: Even if it's a pre-order for mid-February.

14. nutella

Member nutella Low Glycemic Index

Australia
    The kid's like 11. I'm sure he doesn't want to be messing around with the inside of a computer. If something goes wrong, he'll freak so it's best not to.

15. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    so... buy the parts, pay someone to help you put it together.... For that budget you can still afford a great computer and enough to help pay towards installation if you must...

16. tijntje_7

Member tijntje_7 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I'm really sorry to ask this, but where the HECK do you, a 11-12 year old boy get the budget for a new pc of 1500 bucks!? I don't get that :/
    You're too young to play most games..
    Though, I recommend you going to your local pc shop and let them custom build one for you. Still more expensive than a completely self-built pc, but WAY cheaper than any random retail pc you can find.
    Also, with 1500 bucks as a budget... You do realise you can get a pc that's so unbelievable freaking powerful that you don't need it? I'm 100% SURE that you're TOTALLY FINE with a pc of around max 800 bucks.

I just bought a new pc, 600 euro's. Plays almost everything on highest. Except crysis, it can 'only' play it on high.

Seriously sop, don't let your parents go bankrupt because of this x[

You SERIOUSLY DON'T NEED such a SUPER POWER PC.
    If you really REALLY NEED a pc powerful enough to do anything you want in less than 0.4 sec, you still shouldn't get a 1500 bucks pc, but 1200 IS WAY ENOUGH. That pc includes the most powerful cpu in the market, super powered gpu, 1TB harddisk (maybe even two) An ssd. Also probably 8-16GB ddr3 ram...
    Really, if I needed to put together a pc of over 1200 dollars, I'd pick the 1200 dollars one.. and add two FULL-HD screens to it, also most likely a gaming keyboard and mouse. it can play and run anything you want.

Sop, sorry for this rant, but I just want to make clear.. that you really, REALLY don't need it. Unless you're a superscientist and want to know all decimals of pi.

17. nutella

Australia
    I'll stay out from judging him, but $1500 is pretty acceptable for a high end laptop. Computers aren't exactly cheap in Australia if you compare it directly to US pricing, though I would also argue that $1500 is highly unnecessary for someone like him.

If I were you, sop, I'd take this opportunity to learn about computers first before rushing into buying one. Unless you have money to blow, you don't care at all about computers and just want to play your games, It's well worth it, even to gain basic knowledge about different components of a computer and it can save you time and money.

18. Originality

United Kingdom
    If I remember, Rydian said in a similar thread "an 8 year old can do it watching a youtube vid" - building a computer from spare parts is easy, so long as you take the right precautions. That typically means grounding your hands before starting, being careful whilst handling parts, taking care with a screwdriver, and a little forsight when trying to put the PSU in (the cables go everywhere). The rest is like building a bookcase - just follow instructions and it'll stand strong.

I'll also point out that I've known several 8-12 year olds who can find good use for any PC/laptop, no matter how strong/weak it is. Chain/cloud computing can be very effective if you've got the right programs to take advantage of it.

Now, whilst it's true that a $800 PC will be enough to play every game currently out there, it's also true that a $1500 will probably last the better part of 7 years. This means it'd be a computer that would, in theory, not need to be upgraded for the entirety of the hardware's lifespan. There is something to be said about futureproofing.

Also tijntje, I think you underestimate the prices of the top components.
    Core i7-2600K - $330
    Compatible MoBo - ~$200-250
    2x4GB DDR3 RAM - $85
    GTX 570 - $350 (580 is $500)
    Decent PSU (750W+) - $120+
    High performance case - ~$140-200
    1TB HDD - ~$70
    80-120GB SSD - ~$170-230
    Minimum price (for listed parts) = $1465 USD (based on newegg prices).
    Probable price (if you weren't holding back and didn't get double memory/HDDs) = $1800 USD.
    16GB of RAM and an extra 1TB HDD will bring it to around $2000.
    That also doesn't include the price of a DVD drive (~$18), Monitor (assume ~$100+), OS ($100 for Windows 7) or periferals (~$80 for the keyboard and mouse I use).

Whilst AUD/USD conversion rates are relatively level for now, prices for electronics in Australia tend to be somewhat higher than in America. I don't know what sites are good for finding the best deals in the AU market, so I can't offer advice there.

My final criticism - no computer can find all the decimals of pi. Stupid example. You can still make use of the excess power of the computer by using Folding@Home and become a valuable pseudo-scientist (you won't do the science yourself, but you'll help scientists all over the world).

Now for actual advice: there are many sites that offer customization options to pre-built computers/laptops. Alienware is just one example of this (even if they do charge a little premium for the brand). Seek them out and play with them until you find a computer that has specs you like (or for a price you like). If you need further help, just post the specs here and people will comment. If you want, you can buy individual parts and try putting them together (using YouTube for reference and maybe parents to help) - it's not hard. What's most important is that you decide a) what you want to do with the computer, and b) what specs you actually need for what you want to do.

So far it seems you just want a computer that does everything. Personally I find it better to diversify - BluRay playback on a PS3, gameplay on PC (and/or any console, most are plugged into my monitor anyway), music on my smartphone (with some awesome headphones), and a laptop for light gaming/chatting/internet on the move (although I've got 3 for that purpose - good for a LAN party).

19. nutella

Australia
    No doubt an 11 year old can build and put together a PC. I also know a lot that have. I was one of those kids who took all the old computers in my house. It is very easy, but most 11 years olds would freak when something goes wrong. It really has to be something you want to do and want to learn about. Paying an extra premium for a pre-built machine is well worth it for some people.

But Sop, on the off chance that you actually care and want to learn, that's awesome. Go look for your parts and post them here to make sure you've got the right parts.

20. Originality

United Kingdom
    As was I - part of the reason why I've been ahead of the technology trend (usually by 2 or more years) during my entire scholastic/academic life.