What kind of R4 clone is this?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by fl0PPsy, Dec 15, 2009.

Dec 15, 2009

What kind of R4 clone is this? by fl0PPsy at 7:47 AM (1,180 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. fl0PPsy
    OP

Newcomer fl0PPsy Newbie

Australia
    I just received one of the R4i SDHC carts that comes in the red box and I'm trying to work out exactly what type of clone it is so that I can try and put a newer kernal onto it. The box and card do not have the yellow "V1.4" sticker on them and the site mentioned on the box is www.r4-v.com. The card has a red pcb.

Have any of you guys come across this type of R4 before? What would be the best kernal to put on it you think?

2. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    You go to the site on the box, and get the newest firmware...

3. fl0PPsy
    OP

Newcomer fl0PPsy Newbie

Australia
    I'm aware of that and already have the cart working thats not the issue. The kernal that site has available is pretty old and alot of the newer roms dont work. I'd like to install ysmenu but I'm having a hard time since I cant work out what kind of R4 clone it is exactly.

4. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    You can't install YSmenu on R4 clones unless it's the non sdhc clone thats can run the real R4 firmware. There must be 60 R4 clones out now and they all run different firmwares that are specific to the card they were made for. You have to be carful and pick an R4 that gets regular updates.

5. Dark Blade

Member Dark Blade Flippin' Insane

United Kingdom
    YSMenu does not work on a few R4 clones...so good luck.. [​IMG]

6. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    I saw that. I didn't see that this card was supported but it may work.

7. sfg

Member sfg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Did you try version 1.41 or 1.42? 1.42 may work too and could be better.
    I have a similar clone too (another website, though) and the latest kernel works even if supposedly it's only for their newer carts.

8. outgum

Member outgum Pokemanz Master

New Zealand
    Did he not just say Non SDHC cards are the ones that can support YSMenu, Your card blantly says SDHC, YSMenu wont work on it.

9. fl0PPsy
    OP

Newcomer fl0PPsy Newbie

Australia
    Well looks like all you guys that say you cant install Ysmenu on the clones are wrong.

I still havent found out exactly what kind of clone I have but I managed to create a working ysmenu install using r4ysg_v1.5.1. So far I only have it working as a separate .nds file that I have to load but every rom I throw at it loads so I'm happy to live with the extra step of loading an nds file from the R4 menu and then launching the rom I want. it would be nice to launch straight into ysmenu via the moonshell icon but that doesnt seem to work too well. I keep getting some sort of "fat init" error.