What kind of person is Twitter suited for?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Twitter is a bit over 12 years old believe it or not, but I probably can guess not everyone uses it. I don't use it because I used to think it was for popular people and celebrities. No I didn't think it was a way of demeaning or demoralizing less popular people, but I just noticed that more popular people use it. I honestly don't know that much about it so perhaps why I thought that. But lately I been considering making one and using it. I used to think is just some little blog where you share your thoughts or personal interest and other people give a thumbs up or down if that's a thing or leave comments. Kinda like a mini forum. But I noticed that it's also a source of news too. Lots of different people especially game developers post things there sometimes and is even referenced when news outlet post articles.

So basically I want to ask what kind of person is it suited for? Is it only for interesting people and people with businesses and other such "important" things? If I was to use it, what kind of things should I know and be aware of before I do? I don't know if I want to yet mostly cause I won't have some original profile pic that I can call my own. I'm not a artist and I dunno about paying someone else for such a thing. I would like to hear some thoughts on this. :)

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally feel like it's best used by companies and people with a specific focus, i.e. web development, crocheting, etc. I'm not a huge fan of pages that are comprised entirely of a person's ramblings on two dozen different subjects.

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say flipping people off and liking cat videos. Though people lose their jobs alot for saying dumb stuff on it. Soo I'd say it's for getting yourself fired. xD

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Twitter, facebook, snapchat, and all other sheeple media is suited for immature, pretentious, narcissistic, egocentric, dumbshits who define their selfworth by how many likes and replies they get from their asinine posts.

Did someone tweet kicking your dog?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Twitter, facebook, snapchat, and all other sheeple media is suited for immature, pretentious, narcissistic, egocentric, dumbshits who define their selfworth by how many likes and replies they get from their asinine posts.
So... someone like yourself?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends. Myself, I just follow people I follow elsewhere like on YouTube because they like to talk there about their lives and it’s just interesting to me. They also tweet when posting new videos, and if they’re about to start streaming on Twitch. I rarely tweet, I just read, like, and retweet. Nearly all of my regular tweets are just replies. Or, you could be one of those people who only post about their dog. Just depends on the kind of person you are I guess.

RayD97

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I like to use Twitter to keep up-to-date with some programs, as their devs use it as a release news platform.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Much like most social media it seems to have supplanted a more technically demanding but open concept in favour of an easy to use, and data collection heavy, proprietary one, and also made a shitty self contained version of email because that is trivial to do.

In this case it seems it took over what RSS was doing for years before for everybody that cared to implement it.

For myself. Some have accused me of a propensity towards verbosity, or in the vernacular of the average twitter user I find myself linked to I is 1 wot likes to write lots, and as such the self imposed limitations of the platform make it ill suited for myself. Doubly so as I seldom find anything is worth doing as it happens/live online as much as seeing the results after the fact, at 2x speed, with the ability to pause and the ability to skip boring sections/to the conclusion.

One might also look at what Twitter's rules and actions seem to indicate their preferred type of user is. Looking at the people that get banned, having posts deleted or becoming "unverified" (rather than it being a complete free for all Twitter appear to have a policy wherein persons "of interest" can have an enhanced status) for the most spurious and weakest of reasons might tell you something.

One of the earlier uses of social media in general was as an alternative avenue for people to be contacted -- I recall several stories of entire mod teams on forums getting their computers (this was pre mobile phones being useful online) virus infected by a flash signature or something on a forum and thus the entire site staff was made unavailable, though more commonly hacks in general or someone neglecting to pay the server bill. If there however was another means for people to get word out that things will be back then yeah. While that is of some use today we also see many services opt for the "selective return" approach to database queries -- most people don't care about specific answers to their searches, just something that will do, as such you don't have to do an exhaustive search and just return a selection of the results you get. This applies to facebook (which will actually charge people to increase the numbers that their posts get sent to), youtube (one of the reasons why you have to subscribe and do notifications rather than just subscribe) and many other things besides, Twitter however for now seems to have avoided that and thus provides a more "complete" means of following people.

With that said the more general question of the thread title is asked a lot, especially as their user base growth seems to have slowed or maybe peaked and profits are still a touchy subject.

Reactions: notimp

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Facebook account, but my personal info isn't there, and I use it to chat with a few of my friends, who refuse to get an account on discord or stopped using Skype. I personally would never have any social media account with my personal info, as I fear getting doxxed, or posting wrong think that could get me fired. As for Twitter, never used it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't have facebook.
Me twitter is filled with screenshots of dumb things that happened in games/game related things and occasional cat pictures.
I don't have snapchat, don't have instagram.
Social media is meh for me.

To me facebook is a cesspool of trolls and meme kiddos.
Nothing but dumb fools in their natural habitat stirring drama left and right.
You get spammed by memes and other useless rubbish.
I don't feel like digging through tons and tons of useless posts just to find out what someone is doing.

Edit: No, I'm happier without social media.
At least the vast majority of it depending on what one defines as social media.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Twitter does two things well.

1. One to many communication ("I'm a celebrity, listen to what I sayz.").

2. Professional, transparent, "not quite communities"; (As in "people who have a name in a field, find and talk to each other publicly") talk about important subjects (importance in the eye of the beholder.. ;) ). Although almost never "in depth". == Networking tool. Creation of a "common narrative".

In the US Twitter for some time also served as a "text message replacement" tech, because it was there an it was cheaper than the carriers solution. In Europe it never "got" that function, because messages where dead cheap here to begin with. This "function" is being replaced, by other services though (Whatsapp - MO EASY 2 USE grandma) and getting less and less important.

Conventional media still "acts" like Twitter is a public "backchannel", but no one else does. Well except for "company service folks" - because people still complain on twitter to get free stuff, help, or services - from whoever has a hotword alert on the other end. This works, because its public. But actually no one really cares... :)

3. Ah, there is a third thing twitter is still "used for" and thats news/rumor propagation. Bloggers listen to Twitter streams, and write stories that end up in the NYT. Thats how news works today. :) The "nature of the news", almost always is emotion driven (feigning "omg - i cant believe, that..."). Other stuff doesnt get to the top (see front page of reddit, formerly digg ;) ).

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Political commentary and that sort of thing is boring and toxic.

There is a brighter side of Twitter - the majority of indie dev accounts to follow. I maintain one for a game we're working on, and follow many other indie devs. While some developers feel the need to get that toxicity going, it is very undermined by developers posting their screenshots, amusing ramblings, milestones, news, ordeals and other amazing things for fans and other people to just enjoy. That is the Twitter I like browsing through.

deltamind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mostly Influencers, it's more of a sarcastic platform for a lot of companies, check dbrand for instance. While there are people like Elon Musk taking it both seriousness and sarcasm , that's what I like.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I don't like Facebook that much, nor do I like Snapchat and I never used Instagram. I'm fine with Twitter and Reddit is fun to pass time looking at imo.

I have a Face Book
like @Chary's dad
but I don't really like putting too much of my personal info out there. I'm not the type that likes to post pictures of myself online, but some people on Discord know what I look like because they saved it to my computer when I uploaded it. The next thing I know is that I'm getting asked to do an "ass" reveal.

Anyway that's kind of off-topic. I like Twitter so I can post weird things I find, and view others' stuff as well. Still annoyed about the whole lockout (which I was affected by), Twitter has been slow to acknowledge what happened and give the accounts back. I'm @Larsenv_293 by the way.

One thing I don't like about Twitter is that it feels weird when you follow too many people, you get too many tweets to read. (how do people keep up with it)? Especially bots who automatically post stuff. I don't like people who just retweet a ton of crap.

Last edited by Larsenv,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.