Hacking What it the best R4i? i'm planning to buy one

kains_shadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After i failed to update my DSTTi and transforming it in a 1"x1" brick. I have decided to get an R4i, but oh crap! there are a lot of models and it's very confusing.

As far i know there are two diferent R4i from diferent manufaturators (diferent web sites for start).

I read reviews of those flash carts here on the site, the R4i gold considered holy grail of cheap flashcarts. And the standar R4i which is considered crap because a save corruption issue but the reviews were old and i suppose that was fixed (or not?).

So i go to my local distribuitor and i found there are various models (revision i suppose) of the same R4i cart

there are:
R4i (plain)
R4i SDHC for 1.4.1
R4i SDHC for 1.4.3
R4i SDHC 3DS

The vendor also has a R4i gold (no 3DS support) which the seller told me it was an old model/revision and it was outdated (i don't belive him so im here confirming) but i don't think i can't update it to run on the latest DSi firmware.

The only thing i want is to have a flshcart that has the best suport and that it runs in the latest DSi firmware, so which one should i get? an standar R4i (model would be apreciated too) or the old R4i gold?

wasim

♫ Music addict ♫
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
The four cards you listed are from the same place.
Go for the R4i 3DS, it's a pretty good card. i used it but the problem is some of the homebrew doesn't work and none of the OS replacement works.

BTW what's the web address shown on the r4i gold you mentioned ?

kains_shadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The four cards you listed are from the same place.
Go for the R4i 3DS, it's a pretty good card. i used it but the problem is some of the homebrew doesn't work and none of the OS replacement works.

BTW what's the web address shown on the r4i gold you mentioned ?

I think these are manufactored by diferent teams bcause there are two sites for the same product name.

The one i denominate the "standar" R4i wich has the many models/revisions i listed before
site: http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/indexe.asp

And the R4i Gold wich only has two models/ revision (the 3DS suport and the non 3DS support)
Site: http://www.r4ids.cn/index.htm (site is still festive, maybe is for the chinese new year XP)

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The R4i Gold from the second link is the one I have. Good cart, runs the latest Wood.

Are old R4i gold upgradable to run on DSi 1.4.3?

Yup on that same site you linked to, under the download section. Three or so down, it is listed as DSi update 1.43 non 3DS.... or something of the like. My XL is on 1.4.3, and that update file made it look like a Japanese Spongebob game, and it loads just fine on 1.4.3U.

kains_shadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far i know wood has a very good for campatibilty (i have experienced on my DSTTi) standar R4 use other kind of firmware?

I'm very inclined to R4i gold for the old reviews but time could chage those tings and i want to be sure of these tings

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1