Spanish code for Spanisher codecs
OP
Trophies
Website
vilagamer999.github.io
XP
Country
Spain
For non-Americans, tipping is when you (the customer) give money to an employee (usually a waiter/waitress) as a "thank you" for their service(s). For example, paying $20 for a meal with a $5 tip. Do you think it's fine? Would you like to see it removed, or even replaced with something else?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Tipping isn't just an American thing, but yeah it is so ingrained in the USA, more than anywhere else I guess.
So much that even employees can be paid less than minimum wage, as the can legally be forced to rely on tips!

I'd rather not tip, and have the employer pay the employees properly.

The idea of optionally paying a little extra if you are happy with the service, I don't disagree with that, but it should not be expected or relied on.

And the fact that it's a percent is not a perfect idea.
If I get 1 pizza delivered, and doordash suggests a 15% tip (for example), why should I DOUBLE that tip just because I am getting 2 pizzas delivered and the total would be doubled?
Delivering 2 pizzas from 1 is not twice the work, so I usually give a set tip. (not a percent)

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To heck with tipping. Pay people a decent wage and bump up the prices accordingly.

I am posting on a message board about video games so clearly my opinion on this matter is duly informed and of weighty significance.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tip 20% if the service was good, 15% if not. I'll only tip less than 15% if the experience was truly awful (and you gotta know you can't take the quality of the food out on your server). I'd be all for removing tips entirely and just working a decent wage into the bill. And then if the customer still thinks the server went above and beyond, they could feel empowered to leave them a tip on top of that, knowing full well that they have no obligation for that additional tip at that point.

Reactions: SAIYAN48

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tipping isn't just an American thing, but yeah it is so ingrained in the USA, more than anywhere else I guess.
So much that even employees can be paid less than minimum wage, as the can legally be forced to rely on tips!
Just to clarify though, if the employee makes less on average than minimum wage per hour with the addition of tips for each pay period, the employer then does have to make up the difference to get them to what they would have made at minimum wage. So a server is always making at least minimum wage, but it's disgusting how little of it actually comes from their employer.

Reactions: cearp

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never tip anybody.

Isn't that why they're getting paid in the first place?
Well the root of the issue is that in many countries they're not being paid very much at all (Below minimum wage) and if everyone stopped tipping they would stop receiving income and their life would turn to shit. The real solution is for companies to actually pay their workers instead of offloading it as customer responsibility. But for now these "tips" are their income.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or just increase the prices of meals marginally and pay them a living wage. No extra charges..
That's just splitting hairs at that point. Either they charge a service charge that costs X amount of dollars more, or their food costs more to get to X amount of dollars more. I suspect some people would be fooled into thinking the former would be worse than the latter if they saw a service charge on their check, so I get that, but really at the end of the day, either route could lead to same final bill and the same income for the server.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Just to clarify though, if the employee makes less on average than minimum wage per hour with the addition of tips for each pay period, the employer then does have to make up the difference to get them to what they would have made at minimum wage. So a server is always making at least minimum wage, but it's disgusting how little of it actually comes from their employer.
The employer has to make up the difference, but most of the service industry is blissfully unaware of this fact.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think wages should be higher regardless.

Tipping is fine but there should not be an expectation or stigma attached. Pay employees better so customers don't have to worry about various bodily fluids being added to their meals if they can't afford a large tip.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They want you to pay ahead of time. Especially food apps. They expect a tip BEFORE you get the food. WTF? I will never tip before i eat. At least tipping adds incentive to perform. If I tip ahead of time and the service or food sucks then i get screwed. No way. Why should bad service food be rewarded?

Pay your employees a livable wage. I'll tip if the experience warrants it. It's not my job to support mediocre employees. This is the "everybody gets a medal" culture out of control. And how dare restauranteurs call themselves employers when they pay below minimum wage with no benefits. What a joke. They should be ashamed.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Some countries you are expected to tip. Some places actively discourage it. I'm fine either way but I usually won't tip unless I'm in a place where it's expected. If the quality of the service or food stands out I'm likely to give a tip.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I use tipping for my convenience. When an order comes to 27,50€ for example, I might give 30€ and have the waiter/waitress keep the rest so I don't have to bother with spare change.

If the service was exceptional, I might give a larger tip but I have also not given tips when the service was exceptionally bad. (Don't want to take any orders for an hour because you're glued to your smartphone screen? Don't expect to get tipped.)

In Germany, tipping is very common in restaurants and bars, but it's neither mandatory nor is there a specific percentage expected. Waiters receive a living wage and any tips are just a nice bonus on top (usually tax free, as well).

Deleted member 568892

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's what we do in my culture. It would be better if tips were eliminated and hourly rates were increased accordingly. I don't know how to achieve such a cultural change.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1