What is your favourite fitness-based website?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by leafeon34, Feb 22, 2019.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 You suck.

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    What is a fitness-based website that doesn’t try too hard to sell you something or offer advice which is dangerous or ineffective? A website that normal people can use to help maintain good general health.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Do you need a website for this? Even if you did care to count calories and track exercise you could do it by yourself on a spreadsheet easily enough, and it is far easier to usefully do things yourself rather than hope a given website is coded to work with your pulse monitor-gps tracker combo.

Safe is an odd one as well -- no website is going to be able to tell you that you are overcooking it for you, or how to adjust your stance such that you do better, or whether the pain in your joint is something to get checked out or just motor through.
    On the flip side speaking to some of the people doing machines these days we are well into the "nature makes better and better idiots" phase -- most machines used properly are just fine, however it seems the modern lot have to be worked hard at to do something bad on them (at a cost of complexity and reliability) and they all seem to have bought into that paradigm. That or are that but with a screen and a subscription attached.

3. Alkéryn

Alkéryn Moon Dweller ~

Mar 15, 2015
    France
    Albategnius, Moon
    I don't use a website, what i recomand you is to learn how the human body works, the basis of nutrition, learn exercises and also experiment because things that works can slightly differ from one person to another

4. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 You suck.

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    I'd like to clarify what I meant in my first post.

There are several different health websites I used to frequent including https://www.cheeseslave.com and https://www.westonaprice.org but now I believe these sites are about 90% bullshit. They focus on food more than fitness but my point is they advise some expensive and dangerous practices. Some plausible sounding ideas like jogging in a backpack full of books is apparently quite dangerous and you should use a weighted vest instead. Lately I've been using the website https://www.nerdfitness.com/ which at least looks creditable. There have to be people here who look up workout routines online and can share the websites they use. I've never tried counting calories before, I don't think it's worth bothering with.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    "Some plausible sounding ideas like jogging in a backpack full of books is apparently quite dangerous and you should use a weighted vest instead."
    What about that gave you such an impression and why would you believe it?

All I saw was people dispelling a notion that the military runs with a full load (it typically being called a ruck march, if it is done at all).

Similarly did the postman at the end wear a hiking style bag with a rigid/sprung back, chest and waist straps properly all properly adjusted or a standard rucksack that the average person buys? Even if you did get a vest would you immediately know how to use it and train properly with it or would some instruction on its use and monitoring with it be of some use?
    Some might go further and ponder whether weights of any form will be good for you? 20KG distributed around your chest or more on the back still ends up in your hips, knees, ankles and feet, probably lower back as well. Back on the hiking bag thing then personally I find standard fitness training boring as you like and feel my brain dribbling out of my ears the moment I sit on a multi gym or exercise bike, something I am not alone in. If I can peddle to a job though then having all my stuff in a nice bag (or bag with some extra weights if that is to be a thing) then that works for me, and walking the dog usually serves to get me out and about more than some vague notion that I should.

Why would you think counting calories is worthless? I would certainly agree to a statement of it is more complicated than a summation of calories (if nothing else it is but part of nutrition) but as a general rule there are a lack of fat cunts in places where people are starving or in calorie restricted diets (various religious people consider gluttony a bad thing and actually play to it which makes for a nice sample/example to look at).

6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I don't see why you want to use a website when an app is much more catered to this.

My personal addiction is "7 minute workout" by simple design Ltd. These exercises were advised by a health coach that our company hired last year. It was somewhat of a friendly competition around that time, but it watered down for most of us during that competition and for nearly everyone after it (I did win 2nd prize in our HQ, though :) ). Thus far I've managed to keep up my new year's resolution by picking it up again, and have since even increased to other programs on the same day.

The idea is simple: these are always the same 12-14 exercises you should do each day. Each one last only 30 seconds, with 10 seconds or rest in between. Sounds simple until you start doing them. I quickly learned that these small exercises (who can't spare less than 10 minutes a day?) caused me to sweat more than jogging an entire hour and was comparable with karate training (1.5 hours). And that certainly helps. Perhaps not to lose weight (that was never my goal), but certainly to build strength. The thing is: each day, every day, no exceptions.

The tracking is rather simple, but again: it's effective. I would advice to turn off wifi on your phone when using it or it'll spam some stupid commercials, but without it, it just does what it needs to do. :)

leafeon34 likes this.