What is your favorite moment from the console hacking scene?

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

This is difficult for me because in 2015 i had a couple of first "hacking" Moments and they are all great:

- Gamecube SD Media Launcher / Swiss
- XBOX / Splinter Cell
- Wii Letterbomb
- Playstation 2 FMCB

The favorite Moment of this:

ALL FOUR.:toot:

Reactions: WiiHomebrew+Snes

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, all the craziness in the latter half of the 3DS and Wii U scene really was a wild ride. The cat-and-mouse games with Ninty, all the drama over Wii U methods being released, the Brazillian method, A9LH, B9S... So many awesome releases and so much happening. It was really a lot of fun to be part of this community back then, still is :D

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I first entered it with my ps2 and the DMS3+. I read about emulators in some game magazine (I think it was gameinformer). Then I started reading about hacking my ps2. I found a seller that sold premoded systems. I gave my normal ps2 to my sister and bought a ps2 with the DMS3+. I still play my ps2 now and again.

Shortly after that, I found flashcarts. I quickly got an ezflashIII for my GBAsp.

Fun times.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When the R4 got 100% download play compatibility.
You were one of the people that cared about that? I always wrote it off as one of those things people complained about as there was essentially nothing else to complain about/differentiate things from other devices.

Not a console obviously, but back when all we needed was a tape-to-tape recorder to copy games. Man, life was simple in the olden days :D
What is the third word in paragraph 3 of page 35?

Volcano_master

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Xbox 360 drive mod. That was a beauty, to play games days, weeks even months before release was a great thing, not to mention the process of having to burn the game it made it feel more real. Nowadays you can download the game and place inside your device and play it, from my point of view that feels less satisfying because there isn't a physical copy, something you can touch and feel in your hands makes the experience much more... like buying a real game:D

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy hell! I need to bookmark this cause there were way too many great moments in hacking history. It makes me feel really old. I'd say my favorite moment was the rise of the r4 cards in the DS scene. Definitely, my favorite venture into console modding. I still remember playing all the homebrew Zelda games and even the 2d Smash Bros on DS. I'd also buy r4 cards for $7 a pop and sell them for $20 at school (not preloaded or anything).

Last edited by gman666,

PalindromicBreadLoaf

Just a duck floating in a pond.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When the 3ds got the(at the time seedminer exploit). Remember doing it about 5 days after release, and let my computer with a GTX 1080 do it's thing for about 2 hours. Now it only takes about 1 second to brute force the movable.sed file. Man, was that an adrenaline rush when I saw the SafeB9S installer appear on my screen.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The original R4 (well, the non-springloaded variant), how it was widely available in electronic fairs (still have the receipt from 2008 - nowadays barely 1 seller out of ~80 has flashcards and it's invariably an r4isdhc.com), the loads of then-original-and-useful homebrews like DS-Mail and DSOrganize, and R4YSAuto having me "understand" Japanese in order to download YSMenu off Yasu's website

and, of course, playing that on the beach in turns with my friends, all crowded around the screens!

Reactions: gman666

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The teasing of Nintendont back when trying to run GC games in Wii mode usually broke the audio in game
Nintendont was amazing. That was actually what convinced me to make an account back in 2014.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.