What is your favorite expansion/DLC/add-on ?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well...as the title says, really. I got the idea from dice tower, where some known board game hosts talk about their favorite expansions to board games. Expansions obviously also happen on video games, but I rarely read something positive on them. This might be because day 1 DLC is considered to have stripped from the base experience to fork out more cash, or because it is a trap to make you spend more money than you had originally planned.

But I'm curious as to what GOOD expansions are out there. What DLC, expansion, extra quests or what have is something of which you say "yup...now THIS is something that hugely improved the base game without limiting the original game in any way"? In terms of value for your buck, of course...it's hard to compare a full extra campaign with a micro payment, no matter how awesome.

Note: I'm talking of "not standalone" games here. Games like Doom 2, Far cry: blood dragon or Fallout: new vegas are of course awesome and run on the same engine/use the same resources as their previous game, but aren't to be considered for this thread.

Part of me making this thread is also because I only very, VERY rarely buy something extra for a base game (my backlog is so full I barely finish games to begin with :P ). So my top 3 is just about half of the extras I've ever bought for any game...
3. rocksmith 2014 DLC. Yup...you can buy original songs to add to your guitar tracks. I'm a sucker for those. My mastery of the guitar is so low I really should be focussing more on the songs I have, but during steam sales I often just can't resist. As such, it's also extremely hard to pick just one, so don't quote me whenever I say I like the iron maiden pack best (even though it's so hard it'll take me 10'000 years to get anywhere near not-embarrassing :P ).
2. Race for the galaxy expansions. One of the good things of virtual board games is that their expansions are based on board games expansions as well. RftG is pretty complex to get into, but once you get the hang of it, it's so incredibly addicting. The expansions (especially the third one) adds even more complexity, but fully enriches the main reason the game is so damn good to begin with.
1. Yuri's revenge. Ah, yes...good old red alert 2. High point in the RTS genre, and despite its age still a decent contender for 'best RTS game ever made'. That is, unless you make it compete against its own expansion, which added a third race into the fray and mixed up the existing factions.

So...what are your favorite expansions?
(note: I'll probably haven't heard of any, but still...I'd love to hear them :) )

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

My Favorite Add On is still "Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Timegate" from (2002).It is not from the Maker.:)

Add Ons I still like and prefer:

- Train Simulator Tracks (Favorite Gloggnitz - Mürzzuschlag)
- Euro Truck Simulator 2 (Favorite France Add on)
- Doom 3 - Resurrection of Evil (as it was included in the BFG Edition)
- Grand Prix 4 Season Packs (80´s - 90´s) - also not from the Maker.

The last purchased DLC was for Resident Evil 2 remake and they were modest.

Thank you.:)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
While I haven't played it myself (yet? curren'tly going through the base game), I've heard good things about Monster Hunter World's Iceborne expansion. For things I've played myself, only two games immediately come to mind. Final Fantasy XIV's recent Shadowbringers expansion was very good and I'm excited for the future updates to the game as well. The other one is a mobile rhythm game called Tone Sphere. The base game on android is free, but there's an expansion you can purchase for like $4 with ~25 songs in it, and generally much better charts than the base game. I think on IOS, the base game isn't free but already includes the expansion. If you have any interest in (japanese) rhythm games, I'd recommend checking it out.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I've got a lot of games in mind, but WoW: Burning Crusades was the first thing that popped into my head for some reason. Flying mounts, arenas for dedicated PvP, a whole new continent to explore, heroic dungeons and such etc etc, all made great new additions to the MMO people knew and loved, and stopped everything from getting stale. Definitely was worth the purchase way back then.

For more recent stuff, the DLC added for the Soulsborne games have all been absolutely excellent, I can't really think of any extra content that wasn't just generally a perfect addition to the game...not counting the stupid "Scholar of the First Sin" version of Dark Souls 2, that was just silly IMO, but I see that more as a "game of the year" edition and less of a DLC/addon.

The Witcher 3's DLCs, Blood and Wine and Hearts of Stone, I also thought were really good. Was basically just more of the Witcher 3, which is always good.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some of the Heroes of Might and Magic games were far better with expansions than without (I wouldn't consider anything other than Heroes 2 gold). Indeed many such games are (I originally played the earlier version of the Witcher, it was not unheard of back when for games to need the next expansion version (one I particularly liked was called Dungeon Lords).
Skate 2 and 3 had some nice DLC but I can get by just fine with the main map. Gating off local multiplayer for 3 was a dick move though.
Battlefield 4 with DLC is far more enjoyable than without for me -- if I was limited to the usual Golmud-Shanghai-Locker map selection of a lot of servers I would not have enjoyed things as much as I did.
I guess I quite liked Borderlands and Borderlands 2 DLC, if nothing else some of the stuff for 1 showcased what could be done in the engine where the main game was maybe a bit barebones.#

I do want to play Far Cry Blood Dragon one day though. I hear that is great.

Board game wise I have played a few expansions over the years of things but nothing that really added, assuming you don't count Lord of the Rings Risk being broken in two (the first half plays fine I guess but the second half, which was there from the start/is covered in the first half rules, does complete it). That said I can see some people enjoying expansions here. For me I tend to find they add stuff to the game but weaken the core gameplay loops.

Only collectable card game I cared enough about to note expansions was Magic The Gathering way back when (might have been Ice Age I last saw released). Can't say any particularly did much for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: