What is your choice of video editing software?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Splych, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Splych
    OP

Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

May 19, 2008
    Canada, Ontario.
    So I am wondering what people prefer to edit with? I've come across a lot of different types, and so far, Sony Vegas and After Effects are under my liking :D
    Running After Effects CS3 + Vegas 9.0/10.0 . Today , my friend used Pinnacle Studios to edit a video and it looked amazing .

What are your choices of editing software 'temp?

2. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    That depends on what I'm doing.

When people think of "video editors" they often thing of what's known as "non-linear" editors, like Vegas, Movie Maker, stuff like that, where you apply effects and re-arrange clips and do compositing (if supported). For this I generally just use Movie Maker as if I'm doing something simple in a non-linear editor it's usually just re-arranging and trimming clips and I don't need anything fancy and it'll often just be going right to youtube anyways. I have checked out VLMC (VLC's movie maker), though most of what I've done in it was trying to get it not to crash. :P

The other kind of editors are linear video editors, where you work with the actual frames and video data itself. I use Virtualdub mainly (well, pretty much exclusively) because it's made for this kind of thing. Splicing videos together frame-perfect, duplicating/removing frames, applying corrective curves to the video itself, basically editing/fixing a single video stream instead of turning clips into a presentation.

3. Tokiopop

Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

Apr 14, 2009
    UK
    Adobe Premiere, dropped Vegas for it. Vegas is still good, however.

Also I enjoy Final Cut on my Mac, but that's a laptop so it's not amazing for video editing by any means. If there was a Windows version of Final Cut I'd use that over anything else.

4. overslept

overslept WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WALLY WORLD

Mar 22, 2009
    United States
    California
    Final Cut Pro and Adobe After Effects CS5

5. Ikki

Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Jun 1, 2010
    Uruguay
    Montevideo
    I use Vegas. I like it better plus I'm more used to it.

You can do some really nice stuff in After Effects though.

6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Most of what I do is little more than encoding with the odd bit of restoration thrown in but for that and if I do have to get my hands dirty with actual editing then avisynth is my chosen editor. Granted it is all text based but it allows for some incredible control over what you are doing.

7. jargus

jargus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    United States
    I use Vegas Pro 10.0. I tried Adobe once and it confused. Iused to use Pinnacle Studio to combine movie parts from youtube but it isnt flexible enough these days.

8. Valwin

Valwin The Neautral Gamer

Banned
    May 11, 2011
    United States
    Puertorico
    windows movie maker XP

9. gifi4

gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Apr 21, 2010
    Melbourne
    Bumping old thread but anyway:
    I use Movie Maker if I'm just in a quick rush to edit something, Vegas if I've got time to spare to edit Youtube vids. @Rydian mentioned Virtualdub, I never really considered using it for editing, I only use that to join AVI files (Sure there are automatic ways now, but I'm good using my old method.)

10. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    I've only used movie maker and final cut pro. The latter is much easier to use for me.