Hardware What is/was the best Flashcart for the DS family of consoles?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Reactions: CeeDee

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We never quite saw the ultimate one, and design decisions vary as well.

For the sake of those joining us then you can't play GBA code from a DS slot (it is too slow). There is limited proof of concept emulation in DS mode but you are mostly then limited to having a GBA flash cart (see also GBA expansion packs like the 3 in 1), DSi mode has some better options or a DS flash cart featuring its own fancy CPU (which mostly means the DSTwo as the others with CPUs have less developed things here). No emulator beats hardware, and naturally the failings will come in some of the more noted games in the GBA library, but emulation on the DSTwo (and to a lesser extent iplayer and ismm) will still allow you to say you did for the vast majority of the library, and have some nice perks like turbo things and button remapping without modifying the console or hacking the ROMs on an individual basis. The DS and DS lite featuring a GBA slot also allow you GBA flash carts, for which there are now some very nice ones and frankly anything that was not a supercard will probably allow you to play everything you want if it fits on the thing (there are some really old or esoteric things that are smaller than the largest game ROMs).

For a good candidate then most would probably go for the Supercard DSTWO. It played all the ROMs, its hardware quality was as good as anything else/more than acceptable, it stuck it out to the end of the DSi/3ds updates that cared about flash carts, it arguably had the best ROM altering features (its savestates were not necessarily orders of magnitude above others, its guide function was lacking compared to some but ultimately still enough, cheats probably pale against AKAIO but still cheats and also the ability to search for them even if that was a party trick rather than something someone would seriously use over the other methods), DLDI was DLDI but all the enhanced homebrew* (including video and way more than passable GBA emulation in DS mode with all sorts of perks you get from emulation) is both there and very much of note. Its main issues were the expense (I take it this hypothetical is money no object) and power drain, as well as becoming rare as rocking horse shit towards the end there (and it continues to be similarly rare to this day). While it was going it was one of the best things at having new games work before an update came out to fix the anti piracy but that is obviously years in the past now.
The DSone/DSOnei was its predecessor and is largely the same story but without enhanced homebrew, cheat search, GBA emulation and video options but also a sensible power consumption. We have seen a few clones appear of late but build quality/testing done is quite variable https://gbatemp.net/threads/dsone-clones-appear-to-be-available-for-purchase.586226/

*enhanced homebrew was technically seen in several other places but nothing was really done there other than the iSMART MM (a sanctioned flash cart seller's version of Supercard's own iplayer with an older DSTwo loader ported to it but agreement with supercard meant no real homebrew got made for it) having a version of Dingux (Linux based emulation setup, think retroarch before that was a thing and actually useful) on it. Very few will have used dingux in anger but it is technically just about able to run PS1 games at low framerates on a DS and some of its 16 bit efforts were in some ways better than some other things.
Edit. I will also take this time to note the extra memory and whatnot homebrew. https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3_in_1_Expansion_Pack_for_EZ-Flash_V#Third-Party . The 3 in 1 is the main thing people reference but there are other choices (see Lick's RAM API for more there).

AKAIO, the sort of maybe open source answer (AKRPG was open source, closed at one point and then became AKAIO for the AK2i series and wood for what wood works for) then forms the main counterpoint from those in the know.
The average flash cart team cared about having ROMs work, and often borrowed from these guys who often made the fixes and sorted things out. Their cheat options were some of the most stable if you were the kind of guy to ride it hard rather than just needing "write this area until the end of time as I want infinite money/ammo/health/...".
The main problem is most of the extra fancy features seen in other flash carts were lacking here, and AK2i build quality was incredibly variable -- some will still be running in 50 years, others did not make it out of the box. If you care it also has some of the nicer support for the 3 in 1 (popular line of GBA flash cart/GBA expansion packs) seen in firmware anywhere (indeed I might even place it ahead of EZFlash's own mainline options) but there is plenty of even better homebrew if you want to go that way.
This also informs most of what goes for the R4s that are wood compatible. Assuming you dodge ones set to time out after certain dates (see timebomb) then most of those will lack nice savestates, in game text guides and such.

Team Cyclops then with the cycloDS.
I don't know if this made it to the end, however it is the only thing with DSi functionality (don't think even the supercard 4 in 1/DSTwo+ did much here beyond boot in DS mode and 3ds mode) which means I think you can play DSi games and DSi enhanced games (mostly a few things got a lame camera option, WPA wifi security and that is it really) as well as the actually increasing amount of DSi homebrew. The DSi was generally a failure though so nobody cared about missing extras from it really, and homebrew never took off in a bit way. Today most will probably be using the software methods.

Oddball choice. I will stand up for the EZ5i here from EZFlash. While it was current it formed a real counterpoint to anything else (good/fast updates, nice features, build quality was there). It was one of the casualties of the big flash cart killer updates for the DSi/3ds. This was also before the DS stopped seeing game releases finish (pokemon conquest was a few days later but you could find a patch, and pokemon black and white 2 coming after this. It is also not a hard cutoff -- plenty of less notable but still good stuff from after it will still work on stock) which means in a technical sense the compatibility is not as high if you look at everything in the library, look at what came before that point and it was up there. Not sure what goes today with the independent libraries of AP fixes but probably could get it going on.
Its features were up there with the DSTwo aside from the enhanced homebrew and cheat search. Its in game guide function was better by dint of allowing for a tiny bit of markup, its cheat engine apparently could be ridden into the ground more easily than some others but was still fine for 99.999% of uses. It had some of the nicer anti anti pirate** features as well -- below 8000 and some of the better stealth options were seen here, and meant it could do as well as some during the pre patch days. Its DLDI read/write speeds also got to be pretty impressive as it onboarded some things (technically making it enhanced homebrew but... yeah).
To that end if you only care about running it in a DS/DS lite or suitably modified 3ds/dsi, and the handful of games released after the flash cart killer update you either don't care about or can use the external libraries to get going on then you can have a really good time here with this one. I have wondered if they would come back with an update like they did for the EZ4 to finish out the library but so far no, and have not open sourced it either like their other devices have since been.

Everything else is mostly meh, similar story with the flash cart killer update or made work by virtue of external things. This would include the M3 family (which gave rise to the original R4*** and also G6 which has some perks, also screwed over a prominent homebrew developer but you can read the dramas of sakura on your own time and learn why you need a patched version of some homebrew to work on it), AKRPG maybe (it had some onboard storage things that could pose an interesting question). M3 also seeing the only real other choice for an expansion pack for GBA slot fun here.
You can dip a toe into the sea of R4 clones and things with R4 in the name as well if you like. Build quality is variable but if you dodge timebomb and get one made after the flash cart killer update then if your goal is play all DS games with cheats, soft rest and minimal hassle on DSi/3ds (in DS mode) then you can certainly get it going on, naturally I would suggest one officially blessed by Wood rather than using a hacked version thereof. Wood aside the anything with R4 in the name (give or take maybe a few clones of better flash carts mentioned elsewhere in this) is the TV dinners of the DS flash cart world -- it is not fine dining but you will not starve on them either.

One day I hope to see something like we saw with everdrive in many consoles and everdrive and ezflash on the GBA and GB/GBC but for the DS. The enhanced homebrew thing makes this tricky in some regards as there is actually some good emulation from that, and despite my dismissal above there is a handful of DSiware that might be worth looking at (granted there is softmods for that).

**relevant

***for those unaware the R4 came from the same factory as the first runs of the DS slot M3. For my money it was not the best flash cart available at that point but it was very much a drag and drop affair (every new ROM needing an update unlike say the earlier EZFlash 5 family where you had save lists that meant a savelist kernel would run ROMs from years and years later) and cheap so became the sales winner of flash cart world, and thing everybody competed with. R4 then became the, as much as I hate to use the term, normie term for flash cart much like you might hear jailbreak or data miner when they mean hack/hacker (or if we are going more old school then the stereotypical 90s mother might say playing Nintendo/Nintenda or playing Sega) and thus we have a million things using R4 in the name.

Thus ends the abridged and cynical history of the DS flash cart scene. You would be missing Golden Sun Team, the DSX and Ninja DS, as well as TTDS/DSTT/ysmenu from the more completionist version but that is for good reason. Also it would suck but if it is a locked in a room with a DS and DSTT/ysmenu affair you could play the DS library.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
We never quite saw the ultimate one, and design decisions vary as well.

For the sake of those joining us then you can't play GBA code from a DS slot (it is too slow). There is limited proof of concept emulation in DS mode but you are mostly then limited to having a GBA flash cart (see also GBA expansion packs like the 3 in 1), DSi mode has some better options or a DS flash cart featuring its own fancy CPU (which mostly means the DSTwo as the others with CPUs have less developed things here). No emulator beats hardware, and naturally the failings will come in some of the more noted games in the GBA library, but emulation on the DSTwo (and to a lesser extent iplayer and ismm) will still allow you to say you did for the vast majority of the library, and have some nice perks like turbo things and button remapping without modifying the console or hacking the ROMs on an individual basis. The DS and DS lite featuring a GBA slot also allow you GBA flash carts, for which there are now some very nice ones and frankly anything that was not a supercard will probably allow you to play everything you want if it fits on the thing (there are some really old or esoteric things that are smaller than the largest game ROMs).

For a good candidate then most would probably go for the Supercard DSTWO. It played all the ROMs, its hardware quality was as good as anything else/more than acceptable, it stuck it out to the end of the DSi/3ds updates that cared about flash carts, it arguably had the best ROM altering features (its savestates were not necessarily orders of magnitude above others, its guide function was lacking compared to some but ultimately still enough, cheats probably pale against AKAIO but still cheats and also the ability to search for them even if that was a party trick rather than something someone would seriously use over the other methods), DLDI was DLDI but all the enhanced homebrew* (including video and way more than passable GBA emulation in DS mode with all sorts of perks you get from emulation) is both there and very much of note. Its main issues were the expense (I take it this hypothetical is money no object) and power drain, as well as becoming rare as rocking horse shit towards the end there (and it continues to be similarly rare to this day). While it was going it was one of the best things at having new games work before an update came out to fix the anti piracy but that is obviously years in the past now.
The DSone/DSOnei was its predecessor and is largely the same story but without enhanced homebrew, cheat search, GBA emulation and video options but also a sensible power consumption. We have seen a few clones appear of late but build quality/testing done is quite variable https://gbatemp.net/threads/dsone-clones-appear-to-be-available-for-purchase.586226/

*enhanced homebrew was technically seen in several other places but nothing was really done there other than the iSMART MM (a sanctioned flash cart seller's version of Supercard's own iplayer with an older DSTwo loader ported to it but agreement with supercard meant no real homebrew got made for it) having a version of Dingux (Linux based emulation setup, think retroarch before that was a thing and actually useful) on it. Very few will have used dingux in anger but it is technically just about able to run PS1 games at low framerates on a DS and some of its 16 bit efforts were in some ways better than some other things.

AKAIO, the sort of maybe open source answer (AKRPG was open source, closed at one point and then became AKAIO for the AK2i series and wood for what wood works for) then forms the main counterpoint from those in the know.
The average flash cart team cared about having ROMs work, and often borrowed from these guys who often made the fixes and sorted things out. Their cheat options were some of the most stable if you were the kind of guy to ride it hard rather than just needing "write this area until the end of time as I want infinite money/ammo/health/...".
The main problem is most of the extra fancy features seen in other flash carts were lacking here, and AK2i build quality was incredibly variable -- some will still be running in 50 years, others did not make it out of the box. If you care it also has some of the nicer support for the 3 in 1 (popular line of GBA flash cart/GBA expansion packs) seen in firmware anywhere (indeed I might even place it ahead of EZFlash's own mainline options) but there is plenty of even better homebrew if you want to go that way.
This also informs most of what goes for the R4s that are wood compatible. Assuming you dodge ones set to time out after certain dates (see timebomb) then most of those will lack nice savestates, in game text guides and such.

Team Cyclops then with the cycloDS.
I don't know if this made it to the end, however it is the only thing with DSi functionality (don't think even the supercard 4 in 1/DSTwo+ did much here beyond boot in DS mode and 3ds mode) which means I think you can play DSi games and DSi enhanced games (mostly a few things got a lame camera option, WPA wifi security and that is it really) as well as the actually increasing amount of DSi homebrew. The DSi was generally a failure though so nobody cared about missing extras from it really, and homebrew never took off in a bit way. Today most will probably be using the software methods.

Oddball choice. I will stand up for the EZ5i here from EZFlash. While it was current it formed a real counterpoint to anything else (good/fast updates, nice features, build quality was there). It was one of the casualties of the big flash cart killer updates for the DSi/3ds. This was also before the DS stopped seeing game releases finish (pokemon conquest was a few days later but you could find a patch, and pokemon black and white 2 coming after this. It is also not a hard cutoff -- plenty of less notable but still good stuff from after it will still work on stock) which means in a technical sense the compatibility is not as high if you look at everything in the library, look at what came before that point and it was up there. Not sure what goes today with the independent libraries of AP fixes but probably could get it going on.
Its features were up there with the DSTwo aside from the enhanced homebrew and cheat search. Its in game guide function was better by dint of allowing for a tiny bit of markup, its cheat engine apparently could be ridden into the ground more easily than some others but was still fine for 99.999% of uses. It had some of the nicer anti anti pirate** features as well -- below 8000 and some of the better stealth options were seen here, and meant it could do as well as some during the pre patch days. Its DLDI read/write speeds also got to be pretty impressive as it onboarded some things (technically making it enhanced homebrew but... yeah).
To that end if you only care about running it in a DS/DS lite or suitably modified 3ds/R4, and the handful of games released after the flash cart killer update you either don't care about or can use the external libraries to get going on then you can have a really good time here with this one. I have wondered if they would come back with an update like they did for the EZ4 to finish out the library but so far no, and have not open sourced it either like their other devices have since been.

Everything else is mostly meh, similar story with the flash cart killer update or made work by virtue of external things. This would include the M3 family (which gave rise to the original R4*** and also G6 which has some perks, also screwed over a prominent homebrew developer but you can read the dramas of sakura on your own time and learn why you need a patched version of some homebrew to work on it), AKRPG maybe (it had some onboard storage things that could pose an interesting question). M3 also seeing the only real other choice for an expansion pack for GBA slot fun here.
You can dip a toe into the sea of R4 clones and things with R4 in the name as well if you like. Build quality is variable but if you dodge timebomb and get one made after the flash cart killer update then if your goal is play all DS games with cheats, soft rest and minimal hassle on DSi/3ds (in DS mode) then you can certainly get it going on, naturally I would suggest one officially blessed by Wood rather than using a hacked version thereof. Wood aside the anything with R4 in the name (give or take maybe a few clones of better flash carts mentioned elsewhere in this) is the TV dinners of the DS flash cart world -- it is not fine dining but you will not starve on them either.

One day I hope to see something like we saw with everdrive in many consoles and everdrive and ezflash on the GBA and GB/GBC but for the DS. The enhanced homebrew thing makes this tricky in some regards as there is actually some good emulation from that, and despite my dismissal above there is a handful of DSiware that might be worth looking at (granted there is softmods for that).

**relevant

***for those unaware the R4 came from the same factory as the first runs of the DS slot M3. For my money it was not the best flash cart available at that point but it was very much a drag and drop affair (every new ROM needing an update unlike say the earlier EZFlash 5 family where you had save lists that meant a savelist kernel would run ROMs from years and years later) and cheap so became the sales winner of flash cart world, and thing everybody competed with. R4 then became the, as much as I hate to use the term, normie term for flash cart much like you might hear jailbreak or data miner when they mean hack/hacker (or if we are going more old school then the stereotypical 90s mother might say playing Nintendo/Nintenda or playing Sega) and thus we have a million things using R4 in the name.

Thus ends the abridged and cynical history of the DS flash cart scene. You would be missing Golden Sun Team, the DSX and Ninja DS, as well as TTDS/DSTT/ysmenu from the more completionist version but that is for good reason. Also it would suck but if it is a locked in a room with a DS and DSTT/ysmenu affair you could play the DS library.

wow-clapping.gif

you really outdid yourself @FAST6191

now its time to wait for a EVERDRIVE DS

Reactions: RocketRobz

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: orangy57 and Flame

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt we will see an Everdrive DS any time soon because it's significantly more involved bypassing the security and there are already a ton of perfectly working cards offering everything the user ever wanted.

Reactions: Flame

AlineP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just some extra details you usually don't find on the internet. Different flashcards have different build quality. The original R4 for example(discontinued and doesn't allow memory bigger than 4gb) is the best one I have seen. It doesn't get heavy stuck on a 3DS like DSTWO(it is very difficult to remove it). Acercard 2i for example gets stuck too but not as much(but it is inferior to DSTWO). Gateway Blue card build sucks.
In my opinion the original R4DS is the best flashcard for 3DS(you will need to softmod it because it was blocked day1 by Nintendo) and DSTWO the best for DS.
I wonder how a Everdrive DS would be.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
this made me think we need a one for the OG DS and DS lite. not DSi.

the work in the DSi scene is so good, do we even need a flashcart for the DSi?
I would not say no to a drop in DSi capable flash cart (despite not owning a DSi myself and thinking the DSi is not good*, nor is that likely to change outside of me finding one for £5 at a car boot sale or something like I was finding DS lites the other year), especially one that could happily launch the hack payloads like we might have launched flashme back on the DS and lite family of things rather than mess around with the software setups of the DSi softmods.
It would also be a missed trick for them not to include https://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/ to at least boot in DS mode on the DSi and 3ds, especially as both of those are unlikely to suffer further flash cart killer updates at this point.

*the handful of DSiware games I care about being mostly backported to the DS in a DSiware collection, though I have seen a few others when exploring lists over the years. Also as mentioned then other than WPA might be nice for wifi rather than fetching one from the tower of old routers if I somehow care to play pokemon online (I know you are thinking some cheesy hollywood style plot as it would be that level) then nothing was ever really added here that really makes a difference.

The post quoted was mostly to send up the nit picking I usually see such things devolve into; still remember flash cart discussions in the GBA days where most flash carts would not run the "personal organizer" piece of quasi hardware/unlicensed thing ( http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbrelxfil.php?id=02941 ) and some were convinced it would be the dividing line between the men and the boys of GBA flash carts.
Saw something similar with someone wanting to build their own DS flash cart to handle pokewalker (for others not aware some of the DS pokemon games came with a little pedometer that you could transfer pokemon to, steps then giving it experience. It is mostly known for making the saves hard to dump as Nintendo put the infrared communicator for it on the cart itself using the part of the setup normally used by saves). Earlier in the DS lifetime then pokemon dash (an awful racing game featuring pokemon) was one of the tricky ROMs for flash carts such that most GBA slot things just ignored it in favour of doing things people actually cared about but the whining there was notable.
Seen similar on megadrive discussions where I think there is a half notable racing game that forms the one thing anything like a "special chip" on the megadrive (granted I do also count the in cart multitap some games sported in this discussion).
I doubt we will see a Everdrive DS any time soon because it's significantly more involved bypassing the security and there are already a ton of perfectly working cards offering everything the user ever wanted.
I would argue otherwise there. Even removing my DS specific knowledge then I would far sooner create a DS flash cart from scratch (never mind borrowing that nice open database of fixes) than I would want to handle all the nonsense of SNES special chips, maybe even NES mappers, GB/GBC MBCs, even some of the N64 CIC and whatnot. If Everdrive got their hands on that nice R4 build kit (there was supposedly a data package for various R4 things doing the rounds in Hong Kong/Shenzhen for a couple of grand, might also be seeing one for the DSOne and maybe now even the AK2i if the link in the opening post is anything to go by. I already mentioned Supercard sublicensing the iplayer and DSTwo kernel for ismart, ezflash did something similar for the other ismart too) and brought up to modern standards as per their usual MO in everything else then they are laughing, though actually I might even dodge that and settle down with a nice copy of GBAtek http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm .
Just some extra details you usually don't find on the internet. Different flashcards have different build quality. The original R4 for example(discontinued and doesn't allow memory bigger than 4gb) is the best one I have seen. It doesn't get heavy stuck on a 3DS like DSTWO(it is very difficult to remove it). Acercard 2i for example gets stuck too but not as much(but it is inferior to DSTWO). Gateway Blue card build sucks.
In my opinion the original R4DS is the best flashcard for 3DS(you will need to softmod it because it was blocked day1 by Nintendo) and DSTWO the best for DS.
I wonder how a Everdrive DS would be.
4 gigs or 2? I know there are some rare as you like non standard SD cards that go to 4 gigs but finding those, much less in micosd form factor, today... that is going to be a hard one. If 4 conventional gigs works then up to 32 would as well and that is a major limitation of the original R4 removed (DS games getting quite large towards the end there, and even without that everybody likes to wander around with at least 50 something games if they can.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I would not say no to a drop in DSi capable flash cart (despite not owning a DSi myself and thinking the DSi is not good*, nor is that likely to change outside of me finding one for £5 at a car boot sale or something like I was finding DS lites the other year), especially one that could happily launch the hack payloads like we might have launched flashme back on the DS and lite family of things rather than mess around with the software setups of the DSi softmods.
It would also be a missed trick for them not to include https://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/ to at least boot in DS mode on the DSi and 3ds, especially as both of those are unlikely to suffer further flash cart killer updates at this point.

*the handful of DSiware games I care about being mostly backported to the DS in a DSiware collection, though I have seen a few others when exploring lists over the years. Also as mentioned then other than WPA might be nice for wifi rather than fetching one from the tower of old routers if I somehow care to play pokemon online (I know you are thinking some cheesy hollywood style plot as it would be that level) then nothing was ever really added here that really makes a difference.

The post quoted was mostly to send up the nit picking I usually see such things devolve into; still remember flash cart discussions in the GBA days where most flash carts would not run the "personal organizer" piece of quasi hardware/unlicensed thing ( http://www.advanscene.com/html/Releases/dbrelxfil.php?id=02941 ) and some were convinced it would not.
Saw something similar with someone wanting to build their own DS flash cart to handle pokewalker (for others not aware some of the DS pokemon games came with a little pedometer that you could transfer pokemon to, steps then giving it experience. It is mostly known for making the saves hard to dump as Nintendo put the infrared communicator for it on the cart itself using the part of the setup normally used by saves). Earlier in the DS lifetime then pokemon dash (an awful racing game featuring pokemon) was one of the tricky ROMs for flash carts such that most GBA slot things just ignored it in favour of doing things people actually cared about but the whining there was notable.
Seen similar on megadrive discussions where I think there is a half notable racing game that forms the one thing anything like a "special chip" on the megadrive (granted I do also count the in cart multitap some games sported in this discussion).

I would argue otherwise there. Even removing my DS specific knowledge then I would far sooner create a DS flash cart from scratch (never mind borrowing that nice open database of fixes) than I would want to handle all the nonsense of SNES special chips, maybe even NES mappers, GB/GBC MBCs, even some of the N64 CIC and whatnot. If Everdrive got their hands on that nice R4 build kit (there was supposedly a data package for various R4 things doing the rounds in Hong Kong/Shenzhen for a couple of grand, might also be seeing one for the DSOne and maybe now even the AK2i if the link in the opening post is anything to go by. I already mentioned Supercard sublicensing the iplayer and DSTwo kernel for ismart, ezflash did something similar for the other ismart too) and brought up to modern standards as per their usual MO in everything else then they are laughing, though actually I might even dodge that and settle down with a nice copy of GBAtek http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm .

4 gigs or 2? I know there are some rare as you like non standard SD cards that go to 4 gigs but finding those, much less in micosd form factor, today... that is going to be a hard one. If 4 conventional gigs works then up to 32 would as well and that is a major limitation of the original R4 removed (DS games getting quite large towards the end there, and even without that everybody likes to wander around with at least 50 something games if they can.

CFW DSi is cream da la cream.

TWiLight Menu++ is amazing what it can do. even tho development has slow down on GBARunner2 its like the cherry on the top.

the more and more i think about it. the flashcart days for the DS are over. unless in ten years time somebody puts an cpu and some RAM in a flashcart like the DStwo and make it more dev friendly once the DS is truly retro.

Reactions: RocketRobz

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CFW DSi is cream da la cream.

TWiLight Menu++ is amazing what it can do. even tho development has slow down on GBARunner2 its like the cherry on the top.
Nah. I am waiting on enhanced console similar to higher render resolution emulators ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/hi-resolution-ds-emulation.364549/ is old but good example) before I make that kind of leap. In the intermediate time if we see something like we have seen for the GB/GBC/GBA family with modded screens/fancy replacements but for the DS then all bets are off as well.

DS/DS lite plus both slots filled with something notable in the list from my first reply suits me just fine and might be one of the few occasions I opt for hardware over emulation. DSi barely added anything to the games, and I am not expecting a glut of ROM hacks like we have seen with GB games getting "ported" to the GBC to take advantage of the extras (not that a camera, marginal wide screen and slightly more memory* adds that much for most purposes)

*which you can also do with https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/3_in_1_Expansion_Pack_for_EZ-Flash_V#Third-Party if you really cared. Probably should have had that link in the opening post as well when discussing enhanced homebrew as that is technically the second category.

Some of the DSi homebrew is intriguing over what the baseline DS can do, even a DSTwo (or iSMM), but nothing I feel the need to pursue. Would sooner bust out the PSP as well for that one, even without touchscreen, and today I am mostly waiting for something interesting to happen with either android or something like the gpd win getting a nice clearance sale. X86 emulation would have to get to 486 (maybe higher end 386) levels before I really cared there, GBA is taken care of by flash cart, DSi does not really do much for SNES (not that I care) over baseline, Amiga (even with Dingux technically doing something) is not going to happen, megadrive on baseline DS is plenty passable and with that and the litany of ports, remakes and sequels of 8-16 bit era stuff on the GB, GBC, GBA and DS, as well as ports on things it emulates better (PCE/TG16 does pretty well on the GBA actually and that opens up the door to a few interesting 16 bit efforts) then I am not really missing out on anything from where I sit.

As far TWiLight Menu++ then it is good stuff, even if at this point then money no object I would still suggest a DS flash cart even to those using it only on that and not needing to be giving it to a friend for fun one day, and I would buy a beer for those involved should I meet them at a conference or something, the nds-bootstrap aspect ( https://manual.ds-homebrew.com/en/nds-bootstrap ) having some interesting perks that are notable for otherwise normally being an emulator thing but for the vast majority of intents and purposes can be replicated by the in game menu options of flash carts with such things (not to mention I would probably be using an emulator if such functionality was needed for a hack or particular play).

AlineP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
OK, now I'm not sure. 15 years ago I used a 2gb microsSD. I am not finding here at home what card I am using now.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I think the SC DSTWO (and the plus version, too) is the best strictly because of the versatility it offers. That being said, they're basically unicorns now since production ended and I still hold a grudge against them because of how poorly made the shells are on them. Mine broke in just a few months because of how brittle the plastic they used was, just from normal use.

Being able to run SNES and GBA on a DS card was really novel in its time. The latter at least has better options now with things like GBARunner2 around (there was also an emulator called gbaemu4nds that would work on other cards, but wasn't hugely reliable).

Stuff like on-the-fly cheat enable/disable and RTS were also a plus if you like that kind of thing, but a lot of other cards tried to do those things as well later on.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DSTWO was a fucking excellent card before the era of the modded 3DS. A lot of what it did unique has been superseded by the 3DS CFW, but before that was a widely available option, it was awesome to play all those emulators. It still does that surprisingly well for a regular DS, too.
Using a flashcart with a 3DS had always largely been my personal use case, and for that, the r4ids.cn ones were the best on the market for a while. They worked on latest firmware without a hitch, didn't have the timebomb most other carts did, and ran Wood. Compatibility on a flashcart is going to be a lot better than Twilight Menu, too.
I wasn't super active during the earlier days of the DS scene, though, and never got to try most of the older cart brands like Acekard or Cyclo.

A DS Everdrive would definitely be cool though. I hear great things about those carts.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
Datel MaxMedia Dock (slot 2 w/ a passme ds card) -
Got me interested in the DS scene waaay back when. Custom firmware made quite a lot of commercial games playable. Also has the ability to dump ds cartridges straight to the slot-2

R4 - first "popular" kid on the block as far as flashcarts, got me lurking gbatemp before becoming a member

Acekard - awesome game compat, and great alternative firmware by smiths and normmatt

Acekard Dsi - magnet hax

DSTwo - exclusive snes and gba emus utilizing the extra cpu, and a nice alt os by bassacegold featuring direct rom booting (w/o launching emulator first) thanks to argv support.
Also can run ds2linux which is like having a Dingoo on yer DS.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I personally give it up to the Acekard RPG.

Think about it. The entire flashcart is open source. This community aims to be as FOSS as we can. The Acekard RPG is the sole Slot-1 flashcart that delivered this promise, and it gave birth to the legendary Wood kernels that we know and love today, even if the open-source part of it never truly came to fruition towards the end of its life.

It had so much promise.

The only other cart that comes close to this would be the SuperCard DSTWO, whose source code is also open sans the ROM loader. But that should be its own discussion, really, considering this cart is a tier of its own.

There are other, very good flashcarts, but it has often turned me off due to their license violations in software. Hundreds of clones that violate woodrpg's GPL, YSMenu's non-redistributable license, or MoonShell's GPL. Though in the recent events of EZ-Flash open sourcing all of their kernels I hope to see the EZ5 sources released as well. One can only hope.

A part of my hope is that nds-bootstrap will supersede all flashcart kernels, even in DS-mode, thus allowing us to have what should have always been: a unified, FOSS kernel that will run regardless of what cart you may have or what device you run it on.

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
I personally give it up to the Acekard RPG.
It had so much promise.

Ive got an acekardRPG (broken mini usb port from so much use, lol), and it was great with its internal 1gig nand.
I rmmbr it being the only cart to run gta cw before an ap patched was available.

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ive got an acekardRPG (broken mini usb port from so much use, lol), and it was great with its internal 1gig nand.
I rmmbr it being the only cart to run gta cw before an ap patched was available.
I wish I could say I had one myself. Unfortunately I was not balls-deep into the NDS scene, only really kept tabs on it (I was also like 9 years old at the time.)

Maybe I'll be lucky and find it on some swap meet or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.