What is this strange Parallel Port to Ether Net thing?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Kayot, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Kayot
    OP

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    I found these weird things at my work in an envelope. I tried to google them, but I haven't found anything. I'm guessing they were used as a network interface once upon a time.

Any ideas?
    IMG_20150728_081136.jpg
    IMG_20150728_081149.jpg

2. Clanver

Clanver Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gambia, The
  3. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Qu├ębec
    Aren't those meant for devices that can use a serial connection for maintenance?

4. finkmac

finkmac GBAtemp Fan

Nov 9, 2011
    Canada
    Over there
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I see various things like that when I deal with embedded devices and industrial machinery. I forgot which brand but one of the car brand diagnostics and programming tools favours one much like that.
    That said that one looks like a coupler/adapter so people can use a long run of CAT cable rather than try to pull off long serial connections (and it probably is serial/rs232 in DB25-- http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html rather than parallel -- http://pinouts.ru/ParallelPorts/ParallelPC_pinout.shtml ).

So yeah probably some kind of plotter, device programmer, air conditioning or older CNC type setup. They are not especially rare or valuable but if you can find something it goes with then a place will probably offer you a token sum so they have a spare (not rare or valuable but occasionally a wait of longer than might be nice to get one in from China).

6. Kayot
    OP

Kayot GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2010
    United States
    Thank you for the information. I have twenty of each and was thinking about tossing them. I'll probably just toss them up on ebay and see what happens.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Oh if you have 20 of them then definitely stick them up on ebay if you want to deal individually with them or speak to an industrial/electronics equipment seller of some form if you want to sell them as a lot, especially if they are all as clean as that. They are not likely to be of much use to the average computer shop but a chat with industrial/test equipment type sellers will probably net you enough to get a drink or three.