Hardware What is this strange Parallel Port to Ether Net thing?

Kayot

OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I found these weird things at my work in an envelope. I tried to google them, but I haven't found anything. I'm guessing they were used as a network interface once upon a time.

Any ideas?
IMG_20150728_081136.jpg
IMG_20150728_081149.jpg

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I see various things like that when I deal with embedded devices and industrial machinery. I forgot which brand but one of the car brand diagnostics and programming tools favours one much like that.
That said that one looks like a coupler/adapter so people can use a long run of CAT cable rather than try to pull off long serial connections (and it probably is serial/rs232 in DB25-- http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/cable/RS-232.html rather than parallel -- http://pinouts.ru/ParallelPorts/ParallelPC_pinout.shtml ).

So yeah probably some kind of plotter, device programmer, air conditioning or older CNC type setup. They are not especially rare or valuable but if you can find something it goes with then a place will probably offer you a token sum so they have a spare (not rare or valuable but occasionally a wait of longer than might be nice to get one in from China).

Kayot

OP
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the information. I have twenty of each and was thinking about tossing them. I'll probably just toss them up on ebay and see what happens.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh if you have 20 of them then definitely stick them up on ebay if you want to deal individually with them or speak to an industrial/electronics equipment seller of some form if you want to sell them as a lot, especially if they are all as clean as that. They are not likely to be of much use to the average computer shop but a chat with industrial/test equipment type sellers will probably net you enough to get a drink or three.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: