what is this place anyway

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, I'm new to GBAtemp. I've only really lurked here because there's always some useful documentation hidden in a thread or something.

The only thing I have somewhat of an extensive knowledge about is DS and 3DS flashcarts. A moderator of r/flashcarts for that exact reason.

I'm a member of DS-Homebrew, which as most people know is the org that maintains TWiLight Menu++ et al. Only thing I really contribute to TWiLight code is getting flashcarts to work with it, same reason as above. Funny dream I have is that nds-bootstrap will be able to run on all flashcarts and there will be no "this flashcart is better than that one" discussion ever again.

I'll probably be lurking most of the time or going through some threads and answering flashcart stuff.

I have 33 flashcarts. Don't ask.

I'm also a holosimp.

...enjoy, I guess?

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GBAtemp is a place where gamers all over the world gather, to talk about cfw, general gaming, and more.
I really should look at other sections more instead of just sitting around in ancient archives of development posts. Though not many has caught my eye, truthfully speaking. Discord is usually my feed for things like general things.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That discussion is a never ending story... people with diferent levels of knowledge will keep it going on forever.

In therms of compatibility I really hope someday all flashcarts support nds-bootstrap or, actually, nds-bootstrap supports them all, that would end some retailers overpricing practices on some more "compatible" models/brands.

Considering how diferent each brand works in software/hardware therms, getting them all to support nds-bootstrap would be a huge step forward.

Oh BTW, welcome!

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That discussion is a never ending story... people with diferent levels of knowledge will keep it going on forever.

In therms of compatibility I really hope someday all flashcarts support nds-bootstrap or, actually, nds-bootstrap supports them all, that would end some retailers overpricing practices on some more "compatible" models/brands.

Considering how diferent each brand works in software/hardware therms, getting them all to support nds-bootstrap would be a huge step forward.

Oh BTW, welcome!
At the moment, nds-bootstrap does work with whatever has DLDI support. I can confirm this with my, ah, 30 DS-mode carts. It's just that nds-bootstrap's compatibility when limited to DS-mode is rather atrocious at the moment.

Completely replacing the main menu with something else (aka TWiLight Menu++) is another story. That's the part where I'm trying to get going because there are so many carts with some level of protection (EDGE DS), or a non-standard kernel binary (M3 and M3i DS carts). Some carts' SD card drivers don't even have an SD initialization feature (EZ-Flash Vi). Most of these are old, obsolete carts, but I like old, obsolete tech. Retrofit new software for that one funny looking cartridge that some kid has in their drawer after losing interest in DS gaming? Hell yeah!

Thanks for the welcome. Hope I can project some decent opinions around here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: :rofl: preferably the grim reaper with a pair of glocks